• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I do wonder what the complexities are of prosecuting this case as a criminal matter. I guess we will find out.

Ducking the rope is a conscious act, did they know it was illegal?, probably. The avalanche danger was considerable and well forecasted. The slope they rode is know avalanche terrain with a known avalanche path into a known well used trail.

Its criminal negligence or maybe just strict liability.

So, at worst, they can be charged and convicted with Negligent Homicide. At best they are liable for what happened.

There are some attenuating circumstances like the fact that they searched for possible victims in the debris pile.

Sad case for everyone.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
^^^ No doubt.

It's also worth noting the comments in the report regarding the victim not wearing a beacon, as was previously discussed here:

The report’s authors said it was “not unexpected” that Garcia-Atance was not wearing an avalanche beacon for a short trip along a well-used trail.

“The outcome of this accident would probably not have changed if (he) was wearing an avalanche transceiver, but the search would have been significantly shorter,” reads the report.
https://coloradosun.com/2019/03/22/salvador-garcia-atance-avalanche-report-telluride/

The revelation that it was permanently closed terrain infuriates me. It would be bad enough ducking a rope for a shortcut to terrain otherwise accessible via the backcountry gates. Doing so to ride permanently closed terrain is inexcusable, even more so given the potential consequences down below. I suspect this is exactly why it's permanently closed.

Ducking the rope is a conscious act, did they know it was illegal?, probably. The avalanche danger was considerable and well forecasted. The slope they rode is know avalanche terrain with a known avalanche path into a known well used trail.

Its criminal negligence or maybe just strict liability.

So, at worst, they can be charged and convicted with Negligent Homicide. At best they are liable for what happened.

There are some attenuating circumstances like the fact that they searched for possible victims in the debris pile.

Sad case for everyone.

It's clear that they knew proper backcountry protocol- one at a time, beacons, probe search. I wonder if that increases their liability. These weren't people ignorant of the risks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It's clear that they knew proper backcountry protocol- one at a time, beacons, probe search. I wonder if that increases their liability. These weren't people ignorant of the risks.

It certainly won't help their defense if there is one.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just got word that the San Miguel sheriffs department and the San Juan NF just closedthe back country gates off telluride ski area and have made it a federal offense to duck any ropes.

Although posters here have said ropes and closures are for a reason that’s not always the case and when you have ignorant and fearful people deciding on policies you can have serious ramifications.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got word that the San Miguel sheriffs department and the San Juan NF just closedthe back country gates off telluride ski area and have made it a federal offense to duck any ropes.

Although posters here have said ropes and closures are for a reason that’s not always the case and when you have ignorant and fearful people deciding on policies you can have serious ramifications.
Oh, boy. Sure it isn't April fools? It would be a poor choice of day to announce that. Source?

Nothing on the Sheriff's website. I don't think they do April fools. :)
https://www.sanmiguelcountyco.gov/201/Sheriff

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That seems like a pretty poor April Fool's joke ...

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
did they know it was illegal?
I've heard many wise people say that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I believe some of them found out the hard way at one or more points in their lives.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard many wise people say that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I believe some of them found out the hard way at one or more points in their lives.

It's actually taught in criminal law class in law school. Ignorantia Legis neminem excusat.

James

Out There
Instructor
40 minutes from burial to ambulance is pretty good. The trauma was just from the snow tumbling? Doesn't say anything about hitting trees or rocks.

Sponsor

Staff online