• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Montana Snowbowl

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I was reading about the new lift going in on TV Mountain on the west ridge of snowbowl. It wasn't finished prior to last season and some work has been done this year.
Does anyone know if the lift and trails will be done for this season? This looks like a great expansion

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My daughter lives down there. She was up there in summer and said nothing was happening with that lift by this winter. Something about an engineer or something told them where to put the columns and they put them some place different and guess what they have to re-sink them.

On the other hand, I see on their Facebook page in mid August they were talking about gearing up to do that install. Who knows if they can get it all done before the season starts?

Edit. Thinking about this apparent loss of a whole summer of work. Maybe they can't work on it during the summer due to fire issues. Maybe they have to wait until the weather is wetter? I could see sparks being a huge issue.

Last edited:

stan51

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think it is a 50/50 proposition this year. If the weather stays good, they may get it done. The trails are cut, and there has not been a nasty fire season around here (which pulls the crew off the mountain to join the fire crews). There are Forest service restrictions which prevent work before June 15, which may explain he limited work earlier this summer. I will be up there this weekend and hope to get an update.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
How is snow bowl? Headed to helena for work several times this winter and will ski too. Great divide and discovery will get visits for sure. How does snow bowl compare? Showdown, bridger and big sky may get visits too. I may save big sky for a separate trip.

Last edited:
TS
Slide of Hans

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
How is snow bowl? Headed to helena for work several times this winter and will ski too. Great divide and discovery will get visits for sure. How does snow bowl compare? Showdown, bridger and big sky may get visits too. I may save big sky for a separate trip.

There doesn’t seem to be much Snowbowl love on this board. Based purely on skisay, it is an experts dream, steep pretty much everywhere. Not much infrastructure, 2 old doubles, a simple lodge and good bar. The goods are a step frontside with good trees and a some summit snowfields, and a few ridge crest trails but it takes 2 long chair rides to get up there, but that keeps traffic down, letting great snow linger. It faces predominately south though, so pick your day wisely.

No beginner terrain at all but there is an intermediate pod on the backside – the delayed expansion on the west face will put in more blue terrain. If you want an old school vibe, steep trails, minimal grooming, then this is the place. I drove up this summer and was sold immediately, no BS, just a solid mountain, pure & simple.

From Helana, Bridger and Disco would probably get visits if I had limited time, despite the drives. If you go, u gotta post some pics..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's those two horrendously long lift rides to get to the summit that turned me off. Stand in line, then 45 minutes of sitting. I was only there the years my daughter raced there, but hardly a thing has changed. She lives in Missoula now, but only skis there for race league. She's either touring, coming up here, or heading to Lookout or Lost Trail. (Today she's touring at Lost Trail). I think I've got only 102,000" there over three visits.

Sponsor

Staff online