• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Montana, I feel a road trip coming on.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Looks like the snow is pretty good in Montana right now. Thinking about going out in a week or two to take advantage of it.
Probably ski Big Sky and Bridger Bowl. Any suggestions on travel, lodging or other places to ski out there as we never been there.
Thanks for any help.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like the snow is pretty good in Montana right now. Thinking about going out in a week or two to take advantage of it.
Probably ski Big Sky and Bridger Bowl. Any suggestions on travel, lodging or other places to ski out there as we never been there.
Thanks for any help.

@Catskill carver was just there........was just reading his posts on how great it was.... I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Just left Big Sky this morning after 5 days skiing. Great snow/conditions. Good coverage all over the mountain, though Big Sky's terrain is much more "sharp rocks" than "meadows" underneath the snow, so you can definitely find some rocks. We stayed at the Huntley in mountain village (ski in/out). Very convenient for skiing as well as eating. We got a free breakfast buffet package (which was excellent) and saved about $40 every morning. Ate lunch in the room with groceries from town. Dinner in the village a few times, in town a few others. One trip to Buck's T-4 just down the road. I've also stayed in ski in/out condos on the Moonlight Side (like leave your skis on the deck and ski down to a lift every morning) which was great for skiing, but kind of a pain to drive to the village or town and park for dinner. Hope that's helpful!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Coverage is fine up here. 101" base this AM. 10" in the last 24 hours.

There are some underlying tree tops where breakage has occurred in the Flower Point area. These broken off sections are lying across the line of descent under the snow now, I saw over 20 of them a week ago. You won't need base work done, but you might break both legs if you're trying for truly fresh tracks. It seems like one species of tree had a rough summer and they are now breaking with the weight of the snow we have had. Normally they just curl over, but for some reason this winter they are breaking. I'm sure I'll see more fresh ones tomorrow.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Black Dog - Montana is skiing exceptionally well at present.
Sad to say we left yesterday and headed to solitude and there is no comparison in snow pack or conditions. BigSky and Bridger are calling for more snow squalls all week AKA 1-3 or 8” as it goes in Montana.
On Sundays storm Bridger made out slightly better than BS but a micro burst Thursday night dropped another 4 - 10 in BS in a few hours depending on the spot on the hill.
If you’ve never skied Montana, you need to.

Bridger, a little more laid back and more economical, no accommodations on hill that I know of but full on great skiing, great vibe with very reasonable accommodation in Boseman, $ 75 a night, 20 minuets away.
Big Sky is all it’s it’s hyped up to be, In fact we are close to moving there. 5000 acres of skiing for all abilities and after Sunday’s storm we found untracked boot deep on Wednesday, yeah it’s that big !
lodging on hill at BS is a bit more costly with the Huntley being your more economical choice and the summit being more upscale with the ski valet dropping your skis for you at the lift.
There are some VRBO options but with the best snow in America at present they might be hard to come by but there are always options down in Bozeman 1 hr away and hit both.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
If you're skiing Bridger, stay in Bozeman a few days. It's an awesome little town. I just love it. Great vibe and great food! Our favourites are Montana Ale Works and Blackbird Kitchen. Also Bridger Brewery and South 9th Bistro. And check out the Nova Cafe for breakfast. You could also drive from Bozeman to Big Sky, but it's an hour each way - better option is to stay in Big Sky proper.

Sponsor