• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monster 88, Mantra M5, or Enforcer 93

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Got it, in that case you may find the Volkl overly aggressive. Enforcer 93 or Head Core 93 could be great options

James

Out There
Instructor
I think the M5 really needs to be demoed. I wouldn't call it agressive, but it does require maybe a little more input and has a different feel. Mid to tail really was a fun ski. I didn't figure out the front in half a day.(184)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a simple guy. My ski selection for any given day usually go like this.
I pull into the parking lot of the hill I am skiing for the day. Look up the hill then look into my the trunk of my car and pick among the six or seven pairs I have in there.
The selection goes from 65 to 116 underfoot. Brands included Atomic, Volkl, Stockli, Kastle and Salomon. Since 2011, the Kendo has been the choice more than any other skis.
On my fifth pair of Kendo this season. This is the first season another ski was selected more often then the Kendo.
Yup, you guessed it. The M5 is the new favorite. It ain't your father's Mantra.

I didn't figure out the front in half a day.

I figured out the front. It is supposed to float and drift.
I know, it is a novel concept for a Mantra.

James

Out There
Instructor
I figured out the front. It is supposed to float and drift.
I know, it is a novel concept for a Mantra.
Wtf! That's what the back does. Though if you stomp it it responds nicely.
What binding do you have on it?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wtf! That's what the back does. Though if you stomp it it responds nicely.
What binding do you have on it?

2016 Griffon Demo.
The older gens of Mantra all have really stiff front end. Stiff to plow through crud & chop. They all sink in fresh snow and kicks back more than necessary in bumps. The Gen 4 doesn't have camber so it smears and drift pretty well but still way too stiff.
The back end and the middle of the M5 are relatively soft compared with the gen 2/3. I can sit on the M5 tail all day and not feel it kicking and bucking like the previous gens.
Stay neutral on the ski and the tip will float up and drift. A good feeling in softer snow and cut up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Phil feels that one of the issues with Mantra Demos is they often have the Griffon 13 Tcx Demo binding. It has a -1mm Delta. Toe higher.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mamie, Andrew and I all like the non GW Griffon//Jester.
Will have to wait and see how the new GW Griffon/Jester works for us.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a simple guy. My ski selection for any given day usually go like this.....look into my the trunk of my car and pick among the six or seven pairs I have in there.

Now that is a trunkload that I can get behind!

TS
Edmond Gurdo

Edmond Gurdo

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I am leaning toward the Enforcer 93 at this point. It seems a bit softer and has more rocker than the Monster 83 and 88 I have, but still has a wood core and 2 layers of metal. How much better is the Enforcer 93 than the 2018 M88 at light powder, chop, and crud? Or should I just stick with the M88 I already have?

Secondly, I looked at several forums recently and found that people seem to like the Monster 108 in a more forward mounting position. I have them on Attack 13 Demos with factory recommended mount. What does everyone think about me trying those with a +1.6 or +2.4?

James

Out There
Instructor
How much better is the Enforcer 93 than the 2018 M88 at light powder, chop, and crud?
Those are very different things. Likely the Monster 88 is better at chop and crud. The E 93 at powder. I suspect overall the E93 is easier to ski with excellent performance. There's also the E88 for next year.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I am leaning toward the Enforcer 93 at this point. It seems a bit softer and has more rocker than the Monster 83 and 88 I have, but still has a wood core and 2 layers of metal. How much better is the Enforcer 93 than the 2018 M88 at light powder, chop, and crud? Or should I just stick with the M88 I already have?

Secondly, I looked at several forums recently and found that people seem to like the Monster 108 in a more forward mounting position. I have them on Attack 13 Demos with factory recommended mount. What does everyone think about me trying those with a +1.6 or +2.4?

Speaking of my Enforcer 100s, I've never had a ski with as broad a bandwidth of capability in terms of speed and conditions. It's friendly when I'm noodling around with my wife, and unflappable when I'm chasing my fastest buddy through cut up crud at mach looney speeds. It might prefer a bigger turn over a smaller one, or that might just be my preference. I suspect the 93 is similar in these regards. I think it is the damp-ish construction WITHOUT also being overly stiff, amongst probably many other design issues I'm unaware of.

I've skied Monster 88s twice. Both times with Attack 13 Demos, and both times they benefitted massively by going to the +1.5 cm position. But the Monster and Enforcer are completely different animals, and both great in their own way

TS
Edmond Gurdo

Edmond Gurdo

Skier
Thanks, I'll try the Monster 88 and 108 in the +1.6 cm position. Do you think +2.4 cm is too much?

I also wonder if the 2019 Monster 83 benefit from a plus position with their new construction. I have them on the factory recommendation now and they are fantastic.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
You are either a Mantra Guy or a Bones Guy. When shopping between these two you need to pick the one that you like best. Demo is only way to be sure. Both these skis are main daily drivers and are bad choices as a fill in a spot in the quiver skis. If you are unsure go with safer Enforcer.

The M5 is my fifth pair Mantras that I have owned and they already have north of 75 days on snow days so far. I am a Mantra Guy.

Buddy that grew up in Stowe, spent his college years at Killington, headed West to race the tram at Jackson Hole for five years and is back at Killington raising his family. He is a Mantra Guy

Slew of racing coaches here at Killington seem to have them on their feet as their free ski. They are Mantra guys.

Many other amazing skiers including @Philpug are Not Mantra Guys.

They are just like my Ford F-150 truck getting me safely thru any possible snow condition I encounter. I am truck guy and the Mantra is a truck lovers ski.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You are either a Mantra or a bones guy.

They are just like my Ford F-150 truck getting me safely thru any possible snow condition I encounter. I am truck guy and the Mantra is a truck lovers ski.

I guess I fall into the AWD wagon with snow tires and a set of Bonafides group. ;-)

Haven’t had the use for a pickup and I didn’t like the Mantra when I Demo’d.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So I am leaning toward the Enforcer 93 at this point. It seems a bit softer and has more rocker than the Monster 83 and 88 I have, but still has a wood core and 2 layers of metal.

I skied that ski last Sunday and I think it is likely to fit your desire. I had it in 177 and I think that might be a good size for what you are looking for. Quoting your OP: " I want something with the dampness of metal, but a little easier to smear, pivot, and get through crud, but still have decent ice/hardpack grip for between the crud and stability at speed."

Sometimes these threads tend to drift into what the different people like, rather than what the original poster needs. I know @Muleski reminded people of that two years ago when I was looking for a forgiving carver, and I landed on a fantastic ski at the time. Which I still love. So I guess it's my time to pay it forward.

You are definitely a better skier than I am (i am not advanced, let alone expert ;) ). And most people here are, so please take this with some perspective. But my preferred way of handling crud _on_piste_ like you are suggesting, is with a strong edge. And I think this is what many prefer, and this is why skis like the Bonafide are coming up.

But I don't see the bones as an "easy to smear and pivot" ski. Now, the Enforcer 93 at 177? YES! It excels at that IMHO and it is what I like the most in the ski. I tested all of this offpiste. But if you like playing with crud on piste and smearing around, which can be a lot of fun, then I have a hunch that the enforcer 93 could make you quite happy.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree on the Enforcer 93 recommendation. Just picked a pair myself as the Spring deals are so great on them now. Might be out of 185cm lengths by now(1 left yesterday) but they had 177cm yesterday when I was there. $569.99 CAN/$440 US with Griffin bindings at Corbetts.com right now!

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
IMO the Mantra is a power ski. Yes, you can be delicate with it, but it requires a good amount of input to come alive. You either like skiing like that or you don't.

TS
Edmond Gurdo

Edmond Gurdo

Skier
I normally am a hard charger, but have the Monster 83, 88, and 108 for that. I was looking to add something a little more relaxed for late afternoon and lazier days.

Sponsor

Staff online