• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
If they were drilled for pivots and you want to use a demo binding then no. You cannot reuse the holes. They don’t match up. So you’ll need to move the mount. Which can change where you’ll be to the recommended line.

i would NOT use demo bindings on those skis. Demo bindings suffer extremely from performance loss. You’ll lose a lot of power transfer. It restricts the skis natural flex.

there really is no benefit to using demo bindings unless you’re swapping skis with someone on a regular basis who’s foot size is extremely different to yours

Were the holes filled in already? If you’re remounting pivots you can absolutely use the same holes again. They just need to be checked that the threads inside are still good and the wood hasn’t been mangled. If it’s good you can just remount and use good wood glue.

I wouldn’t change from recommend mount point. The 104 is already -6 so farther back than the 112. Going -7 isn’t going to do anything positive to the ski. It’s not a directional ski. You’ll take away the playfulness and give it an odd feeling.

if you really want something directional Countach is where it’s at for a compromise.

As I mentioned above with the links Corbetts has some solid sales on pivots so you could reuse the holes.
I see, yes I was planning to either use Strive Demos (new holes) or Look Pivots (same holes hopefully but the last owner mounted -1 from recommended). The Strive Demos have the same stack height as the regular Strive and I really liked them on my other ski, but the power transfer is a good point. Thanks!!!

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
I see, yes I was planning to either use Strive Demos (new holes) or Look Pivots (same holes hopefully but the last owner mounted -1 from recommended). The Strive Demos have the same stack height as the regular Strive and I really liked them on my other ski, but the power transfer is a good point. Thanks!!!
If it’s between those two choices. I’d use the pivots assuming the holes are good to go and deal with the -1 rather than demo tracks. I just really don’t like demo bindings personally. While the -1 isn’t ideal. It’s going to ski better on pivots at -1 than on demo bindings near the line.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Any thoughts on a Griffon for a pair of DW or WC?
Wouldn’t be my personal choice. Just don’t love griffons. I have a pair in my commander 98’s and wish I went a different route. That being said there is nothing wrong with them if you like.

you can get pivots or strives from the links I posted from Corbetts for prices as good or lower than the griffons.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone skiied the Enforcer 104 Free? I wonder how it compares to the DW 104. Just by weight and construction alone, I figured DW 104 has a much better swing weight, but wondering how much less damp it is vs. the Enforcer.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally got my Countachs out in proper conditions on a pow day. So far really liked them. Found they need a little speed to come alive, and boy did the eat up the soft chop. Looked/felt a little short in the front in the pow, and was leaning back a little at first but started trusting them more. Easy to kick out the tails and slash. Kinda thinking I should have gone -1 on the mount.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Finally got my Countachs out in proper conditions on a pow day. So far really liked them. Found they need a little speed to come alive, and boy did the eat up the soft chop. Looked/felt a little short in the front in the pow, and was leaning back a little at first but started trusting them more. Easy to kick out the tails and slash. Kinda thinking I should have gone -1 on the mount.
You should try some blades if you think the Countach feel short.

Attachments

• IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 6

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied my 188 Countachs at Stratton today - that’s not something I thought I’d ever do, but we got 20” today, so I broke them out.

I got a couple of runs of mostly untracked, some of which was powder on top of crud and some of which was proper powder. The rest of the day was cut up cruddy powder with partial refills, bumps and a lot of really fun trees.

The Countachs kicked ass. They were a great compromise between performing well in all of those conditions. Stable skiing fast-ish in cut up, cruddy snow abd super fun in the untracked. Most surprising to me is that they skied really well in bumps and trees. They’re big skis, but were surprisingly agile in pretty tight trees and skiing big, irregular bumps.

These skis are a great resort pow ski and exactly what I was looking for. Just the right blend of a stable, damp charger with enough long, low rocker to make them loose enough to ski a turnier line when needed.

Sponsor