• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mogul Clinics... your thoughts?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
specifically what different skills, and techniques do you use in bumps that you do not use skiing else where?

Restraint. Mostly at lunch:
  • Nothing too big, nothing too heavy
  • No alcoholic drinks

The bumps would act like a staircase, with nice flattish steps and banked ramps offering good support for every turn. So I agree with Josh in this case. Soft one-day old bumps are easier to ski than smooth ice, even with only so-so bump skills. They demand less precision - than hard snow or ice - because the skier can guide the skis flat onto the bump shoulders and ride them around.

Interestingly I have a ski buddy who is way more competent in the bumps than on the groomers. On groomers he's a low level intermediate - both a tipper and a twister. In the bumps he separates and angulates. Looks very much an upper level intermediate. He's thriving on some reasonably steep bump runs - if he skied them the same way he skis groomers he'd spend a lot of time sitting on his backside. (I've suggested he skis groomers the same way he skis bumps but that thought is yet to take hold.)

In my own case I long preferred the bumps and until the very last week of last northern season my groomer shorts were the weakest part of my skiing. Something clicked in a CSIA workshop that last week with a big step up in short turns.(In support of Josh's "groomer drills" I feel that has improved my bump skiing. However feelings can be misleading so will await some vid.)

In both examples above I think a key factor is that the bumps also assist with turn initiation - as long as there is enough ability to maintain balance and control.

TS
Ken in LA

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Many thanks to everyone for your valuable and insightful advice! After reading all of your posts, I have formulated the following plan of attack for the upcoming season:
  1. Integrate mogul-skiing-specific exercises into my pre-season workout routine.
  2. Take a few general lessons early in the season to get an instructor’s professional opinion.
  3. After taking the lessons, if it still makes sense, I’ll sign up for a mogul clinic.
  4. Be the envy of everyone sitting on the lift as they marvel at my impressive mogul skiing :)
I really appreciate everyone’s insightful replies. Thank you again.

Sponsor

Staff online