• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Its warm enough in Durango now. I wouldn't want to be in Moab. That is a winter training destination for me.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something about that sign makes me think I'm not ready for Moab.

Moab can be as easy or hard as you want to make it. A ride we typically do in the fall is White Rim. Nice easy going with some great scenery. Even get to ride along the banks of the river for awhile. You can have a support vehicle and camp along the way. You could do it in 1 day or stretch it out to 4 if you want a leisurely pace with some camp nights to enjoy. The view of the Milky Way is amazing. You can stop and explore the stuff you find interesting. Nothing technical on White Rim. Definitely a stretch your legs out ride. The climb outs can be a PITA if there is a lot of vehicle traffic.

29673202290_01f2f77b5e_o.jpg

29932809646_d58b84b6c2_o.jpg

29852591752_5711b1e5e9_o.jpg

29673169950_428d0b7c21_o.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This may sound like a crazy question, but how are "allergies" at Moab?
The reason I ask is, a few of my rides have been cut short because the pollen has been crazy bad and my lungs can't take it.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm going to be in Moab next month and had sadly decided against mountain biking. We'll be two families with children ages 10-13 and varying abilities and we'd need to rent bikes and our rental cars won't have racks. Just seemed like a lot of trouble to make this work. Especially when I think we can rent a Jeep for less money than 4 bike rentals. That said, I feel terrible being in Moab and not taking advantage of the trails. Does anyone know if any of the trail systems are good for running? I'll be trying to get in some early morning runs before the family wakes up and would love to get on a trail if possible.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know if any of the trail systems are good for running? I'll be trying to get in some early morning runs before the family wakes up and would love to get on a trail if possible.

Certainly. First, if time allows, you should run part or all of the Slickrock Trail. It is unique, and an amazing landscape. Second, if you have to run right from town, try Pipedream. It runs right along the base of Moab's western rim. If you get in there early enough, you'll still be in shade, while you watch the upper portions light up.

Side note for @Philpug: Doesn't this thread belong more betterer in the mtb forum?

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Certainly. First, if time allows, you should run part or all of the Slickrock Trail. It is unique, and an amazing landscape. Second, if you have to run right from town, try Pipedream. It runs right along the base of Moab's western rim. If you get in there early enough, you'll still be in shade, while you watch the upper portions light up.

Side note for @Philpug: Doesn't this thread belong more betterer in the mtb forum?

Thanks for this advice. I was able to hit both of these. The Slickrock Trail is amazing. I was there for sunrise and, in August at least, I wouldn't recommend getting started much later than that. There were a couple cars in the parking lot but the trail was mostly quiet aside from a couple guys buzzing around on dirtbikes. The trail is great but I'd say some of the terrain which can be a nice challenge for mountain bikers are a little much for running. I'm thinking mostly about the steepest ups/downs but that was easily solved by walking which gave a chance to catch my breath and snap some great photos.

I think I liked Pipedream even better although I didn't get to do that much of it. I was staying at a condo south of town and it was over a mile just to get to the trailhead and I didn't have much time so had to turn around sooner than I wanted to. Next time I think I'd drive to the trailhead to get to spend more time on the trail.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for this advice. I was able to hit both of these. The Slickrock Trail is amazing. I was there for sunrise and, in August at least, I wouldn't recommend getting started much later than that. There were a couple cars in the parking lot but the trail was mostly quiet aside from a couple guys buzzing around on dirtbikes. The trail is great but I'd say some of the terrain which can be a nice challenge for mountain bikers are a little much for running. I'm thinking mostly about the steepest ups/downs but that was easily solved by walking which gave a chance to catch my breath and snap some great photos.

I think I liked Pipedream even better although I didn't get to do that much of it. I was staying at a condo south of town and it was over a mile just to get to the trailhead and I didn't have much time so had to turn around sooner than I wanted to. Next time I think I'd drive to the trailhead to get to spend more time on the trail.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you.