• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MMA 1-Cougar 0

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa!

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Color me suspicious of this one. I'd have a hard time strangling a 7+ pound cat much less a 70+ pound wild mountain lion poised for a meal. As someone here in CO said today, if someone did kill a lion with their bare hands, it would be a huge deal because "for every human-lion pairing that did result in a human victory, you're gonna get a metric shitheap more lion victories."
We need to wait for the real facts to come out.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Amazing story. I was also suspicious when I saw the story. It was investigated today and seems real.

Here's a Denver TV news story where they interview a Colorado Division of Wildlife Officer who says "It's an incredible story, but it's totally legitimate. His injuries are consistent with what he's telling us." See the 9news video here:
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...d-him/73-4793b54a-6442-42d3-91e6-3841b0387250

And more here:
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...-tests-negative-rabies-no-weapons/2781712002/

At this point, I think it would be even more amazing to fake it between the dead mountain lion and the runner's injuries.

Last edited:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Color me suspicious of this one. I'd have a hard time strangling a 7+ pound cat much less a 70+ pound wild mountain lion poised for a meal. As someone here in CO said today, if someone did kill a lion with their bare hands, it would be a huge deal because "for every human-lion pairing that did result in a human victory, you're gonna get a metric shitheap more lion victories."
We need to wait for the real facts to come out.
He did mention grabbing a rock to hit the cat with during the struggle. I'd be willing to bet a palm-sized rock upside a cat's head a few times could stun it enough to put it in a chokehold.

James

Out There
Instructor
Was the guy's name Teddy Roosevelt?

TR killed like eleven in a month long sojourn from the White House. He used a rifle though.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of all the local news stories about this incident, the best quote from a spokeswoman from the Parks & Wildlife "He should never have to buy a beer again in his life". :beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think Kevin said this happened, not so far from where he lives.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Two words:

CHUCK NORRIS!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He heard the mountain lion coming up behind him. Makes me think twice about wearing headphones, which I do fairly often running through coyote home turf.

I wonder how long it takes to get the PR firm and attorney in place for the book and movie deal, then book the Today Show appearance. He certainly earned it the hard way!

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
What a cool story. The part I found most interesting was when rangers located the cat it had been scavenged by other animals AND they closed the area because of other catamount sign. Wonder if there had been another cat feeding on the suffocated one?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He heard the mountain lion coming up behind him. Makes me think twice about wearing headphones, which I do fairly often running through coyote home turf.

I have always used just one earbud when I run or hike with earbuds and if I'm on trails late in the afternoon which tends to be higher risk I won't use them at all.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I have always used just one earbud when I run or hike with earbuds and if I'm on trails late in the afternoon which tends to be higher risk I won't use them at all.

It's a cat, the chances of you hearing it over your own footsteps are pretty slim, however its still a very good idea because cats aren't the only worry out there.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So the mountain lion (kitty?) turned out to be 25lbs or thereabouts..now that's still a pretty big cat..however..I think I could lick a 25lbs moutain lion. What say you MMA wannabeslikeme?!?! :D

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a Montain Lion problem at home, My wife saw one take a Mule Deer down last fall while sitting in the clubhouse. One was captured on the 6th fairway after is revisitied a kill to feed again in November. Two weeks ago a fellow resident saw several in the same evening. We were hiking east of the club property after starting on property, and I saw two different cat tracks that day in October. Our part of Utah does in fact have a Mountain Lion over population problem.