• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MLB Sign Stealing Scandal

James

Out There
Instructor
^Try your analogy with poker, not singing.

People in baseball are not happy that Astros owner Jim Crane got away with only $5million in fines.
Saying he didn’t know what was going on is like saying George Steinbrenner didn’t know what was happening on his teams.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What I found telling was the reports that when the commissioner had a teleconference to brief the other teams, most other owners felt the punishment was way too severe. Not to mention there was zero punishment to the players involved.

I expect Cora to get a multi-year ban.
Because a lot of them are probably doing similar things but still undetected. Sounds like the punishment might be adequate to deter the others.

James

Out There
Instructor
What I found telling was the reports that when the commissioner had a teleconference to brief the other teams, most other owners felt the punishment was way too severe. Not to mention there was zero punishment to the players involved.

I expect Cora to get a multi-year ban.

I don’t know where this belief thst other teams are satisfied with the Astros penalties comes from. They are not allowed to talk about it, or could face their own penalties.
Sounds like many are pissed Crane and the Astros got away with it.

“Multiple ownership-level sources told ESPN that dissatisfaction with the penalties had emerged following a conference call with Manfred, in which he explained how the Astros would be disciplined, then told teams to keep their thoughts to themselves.”

Dodgers said this Tuesday:

“All clubs have been asked by Major League Baseball not to comment on today's punishment of the Houston Astros as it's inappropriate to comment on discipline imposed on another club. The Dodgers have also been asked not to comment on any wrongdoing during the 2017 World Series and will have no further comment at this time."

Standby for more news and maybe a spreading scandal. The Mets might be really glad to be done with Beltran.

There are reports that Altuve and Bregman, at least, wore buzzers under the shoulder that communicated something about pitches. Part of why Altuve was adamant he didn’t want his shirt ripped off after the homer that beat the Yankees in 2019 Alcs.

“Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer said on Thursday that he's heard from "multiple parties" that the Houston Astros wore electronic buzzers to tip off pitches.”
www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/sports/mlb/trevor-bauer-says-he-heard-astros-players-wore-buzzers-to-tip-off-pitches/

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I also think MLB told teams to cease and desist after the rumours started and they were obviously ignored..

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don’t know where this belief thst other teams are satisfied with the Astros penalties comes from. They are not allowed to talk about it, or could face their own penalties.

I saw it on an initial ESPN airing when the story broke as it pertained to the conference call. They indicated that several teams questioned how the commissioner’s office came up with the penalties and the severity, including the length of the suspensions. They also reported that the commissioner cut those owners off and warned the teams of punishment if they were publicly critical of the investigation and results.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We need to change the title of this thread so that non baseball fans like me don't keep tripping over it. I keep imagining a teenager's bedroom with a lifesize "ONE WAY" rectangle plastered on the wall in stark black and white. Then I think, "Why is this such a big deal?" Then I think, "Oh yeah. Not that. It's that thing catchers do with their fingers in front of their crotches." Then I think, again, "Why is this such a big deal?"

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We need to change the title of this thread so that non baseball fans like me don't keep tripping over it. I keep imagining a teenager's bedroom with a lifesize "ONE WAY" rectangle plastered on the wall in stark black and white. Then I think, "Why is this such a big deal?" Then I think, "Oh yeah. Not that. It's that thing catchers do with their fingers in front of their crotches." Then I think, again, "Why is this such a big deal?"
The-Astros-Stole-My-Sign-e1579202830851.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like many are pissed Crane and the Astros got away with it.

“Multiple ownership-level sources told ESPN that dissatisfaction with the penalties had emerged following a conference call with Manfred, in which he explained how the Astros would be disciplined, then told teams to keep their thoughts to themselves.”

Dodgers said this Tuesday:

“All clubs have been asked by Major League Baseball not to comment on today's punishment of the Houston Astros as it's inappropriate to comment on discipline imposed on another club. The Dodgers have also been asked not to comment on any wrongdoing during the 2017 World Series and will have no further comment at this time."

Standby for more news and maybe a spreading scandal. The Mets might be really glad to be done with Beltran.

There are reports that Altuve and Bregman, at least, wore buzzers under the shoulder that communicated something about pitches. Part of why Altuve was adamant he didn’t want his shirt ripped off after the homer that beat the Yankees in 2019 Alcs.

“Cincinnati Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer said on Thursday that he's heard from "multiple parties" that the Houston Astros wore electronic buzzers to tip off pitches.”
www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/sports/mlb/trevor-bauer-says-he-heard-astros-players-wore-buzzers-to-tip-off-pitches/

They should at a minimum strip Altuve of the MVP award he won in 2017.

James

Out There
Instructor
In a conference call with media today, the Mets gm said they never asked Beltran about the sign stealing at Houston until this week!
Van Wagenen implied he didn’t know about it. Meanwhile, one of his good friends is AJ Hinch. Beyond belief that they didn’t know the Astros were being investigated by mlb and Beltran was part of it.
Never asked!

Van Wagenen was a player agent before becoming gm for the Mets. (wtf!) The general consensus is he’s way out of his element.

Meanwhile, check out Chris Russo’s rant on Verlander. Wish I had his whole intro rant.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe the punishment is to wear these next year.

1580569814579.png

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January