• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Wow, just stumbled upon this. What a crazy story. Speculation:

So guy does one last run - ends up colliding with a tree causing serious injury to the head. He's knocked out for some time in the forest (maybe an hour or 2?). Disoriented, he removes skis and hikes downhill (easiest path). Makes his way to the highway? Or maybe a truck stop. He climbs into cargo area of truck to get out of the storm. That or trucker takes pity on him and picks him up. Passes out and sleeps a long time due to head injury (maybe 1 or 2 days of fitful sleep). His helmet and everything are still on.

Trucker eventually finds him in the cargo hold at a stop (or maybe trucker loaded him initially). Guy is still incoherent and unable to explain how he go there. Memory is messed up. Trucker decides to keep him alive (guy has $$$!). Helmet is removed and there is a bunch of clotted blood from the head injury. He goes to the barber along the way to clean up the wound so he can be presentable and board a plane. Or the trucker has his own scissors/razor and gives him the haircut. Or they stop at a vet somewhere and dress the wound, which also involves a haircut.

Trucker doesn't drop him off right away because dude's memory is still flaky. Wants to wait for memory to improve enough for him to pick right place to fly home.

Trucker won't come forward for various reasons. Maybe ex-con, maybe doesn't follow the news, or maybe would be fired if discovered.

I like this scenario, but the trucker should be an undocumented alien afraid of being deported.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm picturing a big rig in all these stories because of the Cross country trip, but I'm finding that very hard to fathom. Whiteface is a good 30-45 minute drive off a major highway I-87, so a truck would have had to have a destination in mind (Lake placid or otherwise). The roads to Whiteface are doable in a 18 wheeler but I rarely see them and especially not in the snow ( conditions that week), so I'm not convinced with the whole happened upon a stopped truck which also happened to be going to CA...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm picturing a big rig in all these stories because of the Cross country trip, but I'm finding that very hard to fathom. Whiteface is a good 30-45 minute drive off a major highway I-87, so a truck would have had to have a destination in mind (Lake placid or otherwise). The roads to Whiteface are doable in a 18 wheeler but I rarely see them and especially not in the snow ( conditions that week), so I'm not convinced with the whole happened upon a stopped truck which also happened to be going to CA...

Exactly, Whiteface is in the middle of nowhere and nowhere near a major truck route or major US thruway. And honestly, no random trucker is gonna pick up a guy dressed in ski clothes in the middle of the road and just drive him cross country. At most he would drive to the nearest police station.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I dunno, alien spaceships are probably pretty big, I can see how a guy with a brain injury could get confused about that. He was probably back there with the containers full of chupacabras and stuff.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Exactly, Whiteface is in the middle of nowhere and nowhere near a major truck route or major US thruway. And honestly, no random trucker is gonna pick up a guy dressed in ski clothes in the middle of the road and just drive him cross country. At most he would drive to the nearest police station.
The Northway, I-87, is the major trucking highway between Montreal and the US. It takes 35-40 minutes to get to 2 different exits on the Northway from Whiteface. He could have hitched a ride to either one.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe @Bob Barnes and @Dave Petersen can create a new thread with this guy's helmet and goggle head shot photo shopped in to the 8 wonders of the world and other places like people do with garden gnomes or whatever #gaperboy..

Or, maybe it's time to stop making fun of this poor dude since it very well could have been some kind of legit head injury or chemical imbalance that caused the guy to flake out like that..

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The family undoubtedly knows what actually happened by now, and work buddies probably know as well.
But the news media are no longer interested. We will never know.
I hope I'm wrong.

Bart Parnell

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled

Or, considering the ruggedness and poverty of th
The family undoubtedly knows what actually happened by now, and work buddies probably know as well.
But the news media are no longer interested. We will never know.
I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah nothing on the internet to follow up. We could ask the FBI since they're so good at following up on stuff.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cant believe this is still a mystery. I mean if he was going to be charged with something Id assume that would been announced by now. So this leads me to believe he suffered some personal mental lapse of some sort for some reason. But even that you would think would be news by now when so many public services were used in the search. Though I suppose they might feel not to cause the family any public humiliation and if something here was not his fault that he could have helped then I understand I suppose.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It WAS aliens

There's a portal. But, if one doesn't know about it, and falls through inadvertently, the mind can't grasp it. So, one's imagination concocts something more credible. The good thing about this portal is that, going to Tahoe, one needs not drive through Bay Area traffic from SFO. The bad news is, there's a 7-day jump, though one gets it back on the return. But, one does need a good 7-day forecast for Tahoe. The most ideal is to travel the other way. Then, one can look at the Whiteface snowfall history.

No, I'm not going to tell you the exact locations of the portal. Can you imagine all those Californians massing to Whiteface for the very, very few powder days?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Te first surfaced a few days ago in Sacramento CA. A hell of a long ways from Whiteface ! Got help there.
This whole thing makes no sense ! :huh:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm glad we can joke about this. The outcome could have been far worse.
Yes, I assumed he was dead. That's the usual outcome when someone's missing on a mountain in winter for that long. But I guess he wasn't actually missing on the mountain....

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier
I have similar hit and lost short memory experience 2 season back, that was a hard pack night skiing, I skied alone and had heavy impact fall. next morning I found my car nowhere, after frantic searching around my building, I reported to police that my car may be stolen, police playback building monitoring video , didn't see me drive car back to my parking slot. they give me a list of towing company number, next day I made calls to towing company tens of times, no luck. police specifically ask me if I find my car , call them immediately, don't open the lost car without their clearance.

2 days later I went to grocery shopping, i found my car in the parking lot. police came, found nothing suspicious. I totally lost memory how could I left car in that shopping center parking lot. later weekend I found a receipt of tim hortons in my skiing pant. I must bought cafe then forget driving car home and I total lost memory that i didn't drive my car to my building!

Sponsor