• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Missed it by that much...

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
I drive a tiny yellow car - a 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder. It makes me smile. It's a fun little convertible that has been the most trouble free car I've ever had. I've had it for about 12 years and I put 20,000 miles on it a year. It recently turned over 200,000 miles and I got new tires and an alignment on it last Friday. On Saturday afternoon I was eastbound on I-84 in the far left lane. I was going 70mph with the top and windows down. On the westbound side I saw a 1 ton truck pulling a trailer make what looked like a hard left across the 4 lanes of traffic. I slowed to maybe 60 and looked right to see that there was a semi right next to me so nowhere to go. The formerly westbound truck T-boned the concrete jersey barrier right in front of me. Chunks of concrete the size of softballs sprayed into the road but the barrier stopped the truck. I then drove over all the concrete as there was no way to avoid it. Amazed to be still driving and alive I looked to my right again. The semi had passed and all the traffic behind me had braked so it was clear to my right. I crossed the 4 lanes and exited the freeway as my left front tire was going flat. I parked at a gas station, called my sister and freaked out. She came and drove me back to make a statement. The tire had to be special ordered but was replaced under my road hazard guarantee. The alignment was slightly toed out after the incident but they fixed it and didn't charge me. I did buy a lottery ticket at the gas station but I must have used all my luck on the freeway. I'm glad to be alive and still driving my little yellow car. ogsmile

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Woah!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I loved those MR2s. So glad you were ok. 9 years ago some jackass cut me off and and slammed hard on his brakes. I flipped and landed on the side of the freeway. If the accident happened 10 feet earlier I'd have landed upside down in the lane. I had my seatbelt on and walked away with just a scratch on my left foot. The jerk took off. I'm not a religious person but sometimes you just have something looking out for you. That accident changed my life. Glad all ended well. That sh!t is scary. You must have been freaked. Things like this freak me out because i think sometimes people get lucky and sometimes it's some kind of divine intervention. Stuff like this that could have ended so much worse really makes you appreciate life and not sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
20180709_172641.jpg
20180709_172658.jpg

Attachments

• 20180709_172746.jpg
    20180709_172746.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:eek::eek::eek:
Holy cow. How long did it take for your heart rate to return to normal?!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am happy it ended well and you are safe; I guess you are now a fan of concrete Jersey barriers.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lucky indeed. Several years back, during the run out Sandy (NY devastation) in Toronto I took a tree in the roof of the car while driving.

First thought was I hit a pedestrian running across the road in the storm (extremely poor visibility) as the front window smashed. Once I realized that was not the case and the roof of the car was 8” lower, did I start the the bone count and check for blood for personal injuries, followed by checking my son in the passenger seat. Lucky we were in the left lane, if we had been in the right he likely would have been dead. The car in the right lane the passenger seat was crushed to the floor boards (no passenger), luck little old lady (driver) only got bumped on the head.

Gotta bless Lady Luck when she smiles on you.

TS
mcmary

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
Yeah I’m a big fan of the jersey barrier. I drive by the accident site every day and it makes my skin crawl.

Phil I almost added this as a reply to your yellow car thread, I decided it deserved its own thread.
69ABE14E-E018-47C3-8418-9E7C39F599DC.jpeg

Sponsor