• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I'm 5'1 and 95ish lbs. I've been on the Volkl Kenjas for four or five seasons and really like them in most conditions, but suddenly had a moment the other day where I realized that I don't *love* them in bumps.... and bumps are probably 90% of what I ski. Some of it is definitely user error, but I just find them a bit unwieldy and unforgiving in tight spaces. I love the stability on groomers from the Kenjas and don't want to go so soft and light that I'm totally giving that up every time I grab these new skis, but curious if there's something that would be a little more forgiving in the bumps. Only idea so far is the DPS Yvette Foundations, but would love to get some other options to compare those against.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Way too big.

Should mogul skis be sized to fit the moguls or the skier? It's a serious question. To me, once the skis get comfortably short enough for the moguls, I don't see why a wide variety of skiers couldn't make them work in that size.....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'1 and 95ish lbs. I've been on the Volkl Kenjas for four or five seasons and really like them in most conditions, but suddenly had a moment the other day where I realized that I don't *love* them in bumps.

What size are you generally on for a ski like this?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Should mogul skis be sized to fit the moguls or the skier? It's a serious question. To me, once the skis get comfortably short enough for the moguls, I don't see why a wide variety of skiers couldn't make them work in that size.....

That's sort of true for bigger skiers and sort of true for smaller skiers but there is a minimum stiffness you need in the front otherwise the ski is unsteerable in bumps and completely miserable getting to the bumps.

So you can group bump skis by size into 3-4-5 broad clusters - broader than normal size breaks -and make the front end stiffness length dependent.

Cluster the bigger skiers around 170-175,. medium around 150 and OPs size around - well that's what the thread is here to answer.

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
What size are you generally on for a ski like this?

The Kenjas I have now are 149. Willing to experiment with going longer, but 167 seems like it would be a pretty big jump?

ETA: also would very much prefer options that I can demo. :) @luliski and I bought the Kenjas on clearance during a drought year & I didn't really shop around much, honestly. I have access to a handful of industry discounts now & a bunch of demo shops, so not quite as concerned about getting a deal.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Well, the current hart classic F17 II comes on a 165, 171, and 183. The Fusion comes in a 161. As alluded to, they need to be long enough to traverse the troughs when not in the zipperline. If 167's is WAY too big of a bump ski then perhaps we need to be looking at junior models like the Boss Mogul? SL skis come shorter but would be bent if taken in the bumps eventually.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider contacting @Augment Skis skis about a custom flex in the All Mountain 77, which I think comes as short as 159cm. If that’s still too long, a Jr ski with a custom flex.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My daily driver right now is the Blizzard Sheeva 9, and I LOVE them in bumps!! I’m not great in bumps, and so I made that my focus last season and spent as much time as possible in bumps and trees. I gained a ton of confidence and felt like I made a lot of progress from where I was, the skis were definitely part of it. They are super versatile anywhere on the mountain and super turny in tight spots. Easy to find to demo too which I’d recommend of course. I’m 5’4 130 lbs and ski the 164, my preference is for a more playful ski and I’m not a big Volkl fan so we may not love the same skis but sounds like you want a change! I also ski the Black Crows Camox Birdie when there is more fresh snow (I’m in New England) and they were fun in bumps too. They are a damper ski, but I don’t find them as dead feeling as I do some Volkls. Oh and the Stockli Stormrider 85 could be fun to demo too, I tried them earlier this season and they wowwed me in everything I brought them in. I demoed the 168, and would like to get on the 161 to compare. I usually like a mid 160s length, and though I do have some longer skis these in particular felt like I may be able to downsize, unfortunately the 161 wasn’t available where I demoed them this time.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Well your weight is certainly in the junior size realm. Highly recommend a classic mogul shaped ski that will be less than 70mm at the boot and less than 99mm shovel thus not a shaped ski.

Suspect one will not find many good used junior mogul skis advertised on the web even though numbers of skiers with children probably have them chucked in their closets after they grew out of them. Also suspect large ski shops in ski regions, even if they have some used junior skis available are not advertising them on the web because of their low prices and small niche market. Accordingly if you email some ski shops in major ski regions where local skiers put their children into freestyle programs, asking for available junior size mogul skis at 145 to 155cm or so, you may get some interest. Try shops in Denver, Salt Lake City, Tahoe and at resort regions/towns where mogul skiing is popular especially in New England. Some NE skiers here may be able to point you to where.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first ski that comes to mind is the DPS Trainer at 79mm under foot. I freaking love that ski in moguls.
Its pricy but really nice.
Another ski that you may really like for that spot is the K2 Mindbender 85 Alliance. That one doesn't have metal and should be really nice in the moguls.
And another ski.... Liberty V82. I have that available to demo in a 156 if you'd like to try it.

So many good choices.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Volkl kama are narrower and softer than the kenja - I suggest giving them a try if you can. My wife is 5' 1" and likes them. She skis mostly groomers and a little bit of crud and easy bumps when persuaded...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski that you may really like for that spot is the K2 Mindbender 85 Alliance. That one doesn't have metal and should be really nice in the moguls.

Seriously, now we are talking. I think @LuliTheYounger is looking for an all mountain ski that's easier in moguls, not "a mogul ski." Right, OP?

I tried Tricia's Mindbender 88 and it was was super fun and forgiving in the bumps. While some hard core mogul skiers like a good pop off the tails, generally that's the last thing you want if you're still learning how to get along with big bumps. Doubly true if you weigh 98 pounds. This ski is gentle without being spineless. Plus it comes in a 149 and a 156.

Some Others: The average American guy is DOUBLE her weight. Think about this twice before tossing out facile suggestions. If you weigh 180, imagine skiing a ski designed for someone who weighs 360.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm thinking look at the "tweener" skis like Fischer's Ranger FR which are made for someone your size. Most brands are going to have something like this.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online