• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really sure about the lineup but have been seeing coalition skis around more and more. I really dig the graphics..

Their thing is skis produced specifically “for women by women”. Might be worth a visit (think your a Tahoe skier?) since they just opened a storefront in the 7-11/blue coyote plaza in Truckee. https://www.coalitionsnow.com/produ...-ski-taken-for-granite?variant=10662172164132

I think she's relocated to SLC area, but Coalition might have a way to demo from a rep there. Coalition's skis have been long in the past, starting in the 160s, although they seem to start slightly shorter this year. When I was talking to a rep at a demo day a couple years ago, she said something like, "If skiing a 148 is in your wheelhouse, this should be a good ski for you (because of all the rocker)." I swear she was holding a ski in the low to mid 160s.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think she's relocated to SLC area, but Coalition might have a way to demo from a rep there. Coalition's skis have been long in the past, starting in the 160s, although they seem to start slightly shorter this year. When I was talking to a rep at a demo day a couple years ago, she said something like, "If skiing a 148 is in your wheelhouse, this should be a good ski for you (because of all the rocker)." I swear she was holding a ski in the low to mid 160s.
Yes, @LuliTheYounger is in Salt Lake City now. Maybe she could demo the Augments previously mentioned. From my conversations with her, it sounds like she's consistently skiing more chopped powder conditions in Utah, and the bumps are soft. In Tahoe, it was more packed (or spring time conditions), unless there was a big dump, in which case it's hard to get out there. Unless it's spring bumps, the bumps are firmer in Tahoe, and the Kenjas were fine. So something softer than the Kenja seems good. But she usually makes do with what she has, so my guess it's going to take her awhile to decide on a new ski.

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Not really sure about the lineup but have been seeing coalition skis around more and more. I really dig the graphics..

Their thing is skis produced specifically “for women by women”. Might be worth a visit (think your a Tahoe skier?) since they just opened a storefront in the 7-11/blue coyote plaza in Truckee. https://www.coalitionsnow.com/produ...-ski-taken-for-granite?variant=10662172164132

I've been so curious about those! I'm out in SLC this winter & I suspect that with their stiffer skis, they might be more of a Kenja replacement than anything, but I'll definitely poke around!

But she usually makes do with what she has, so my guess it's going to take her awhile to decide on a new ski.

Trying to become more like my mother this season, actually. :duck:

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Posting a random update mostly so I remember my own reviews down the road, haha. Tried the Armada Tantrums in a 156 today. Bit of an oddball pick, but like Phil predicted the ~150 lengths have been thin on the ground, and I wanted to try some type of tween ski. They did pretty well in the soft stuff in the morning, but I hated them when it got a little packed down. The 156 felt like a weird combination of cumbersome, but also way soft & lacking grip. Pretty much over the idea of going up in length, I think, and nixed the extra-soft route as well. I want to go softer than the Kenjas, but not "ice skating on noodles" soft. The Christy's in Millcreek had a couple pair of Yumis coming in, so I'm thinking I'll go back and try those next?

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Went to get the Yumis on Monday, guy pulled them out, then said "oh, I love the Enforcers - what about these Santa Anas?" pulled those out – somehow I left with the Santa Anas and not the Yumis I went in there for? I really did like the Santa Anas though; they gave me the 93 version in a 153 and I was pretty fond of the shape on the soft stuff & stability on groomers. My only concern with them is that the stiffness feels a lot like the Kenjas, and I think some of my positive reaction was just that they felt familiar. I really did like them, but I'm thinking I should try another pair anyways; hoping I can find an in-between at some point in the next century or so.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The new 2020 Santa Ana 88's do come in a 151cm length. I at a heavier 132# was impressed with how my new 165cm length SA88's skied on the firm groomers Tahoe now has but at your weight may feel different. That noted I still need to test them more in more usual conditions.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug et. al., any thoughts on who would have the best selection of tweener skis in the SLC area?
You could try Sports Den in SLC.

Yes, Coalition takes pride in making long strong skis for women.
Went to get the Yumis on Monday, guy pulled them out, then said "oh, I love the Enforcers - what about these Santa Anas?" pulled those out – somehow I left with the Santa Anas and not the Yumis I went in there for? I really did like the Santa Anas though; they gave me the 93 version in a 153 and I was pretty fond of the shape on the soft stuff & stability on groomers. My only concern with them is that the stiffness feels a lot like the Kenjas, and I think some of my positive reaction was just that they felt familiar. I really did like them, but I'm thinking I should try another pair anyways; hoping I can find an in-between at some point in the next century or so.
Oy.
If in the Nordica lineup, there is a reason that we've been suggesting the Astral 84. I'm pretty sure you're not going to vibe on the Santa Ana 93 (or 88 for that matter) Not that you can't like those skis but not for the reasons you started this thread.

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you looked at an actual mogul ski?
make sure it can accept adult bindings if jr ski.

161cm.

150cm Junior

158 Rossi Junior

K2 244: 153cm

Hart: 158?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not the newest version of the Uschi, but still a very good ski. And in shorter lengths.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to ski about 2000 vertical from the top of the mountain on a variety of terrain to get to the Nastar course.

<thread drift>
<affectionate snark hat>
You want to race or you want a Tea party? That 2000' is called getting your heart rate up and burning in your turns, so you're ready to run at full gas.
</affectionate snark hat>
</thread drift>

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
<thread drift>
<affectionate snark hat>
You want to race or you want a Tea party? That 2000' is called getting your heart rate up and burning in your turns, so you're ready to run at full gas.
</affectionate snark hat>
</thread drift>
:ogbiggrin:

Do it over and over and over, and it'll wear the best of us out!

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

Skier
:roflmao:
These are helpful for me. Keep it up!

Hahaha, will do! What are you on right now?

Oy.
If in the Nordica lineup, there is a reason that we've been suggesting the Astral 84. I'm pretty sure you're not going to vibe on the Santa Ana 93 (or 88 for that matter) Not that you can't like those skis but not for the reasons you started this thread.

Ha! Like Phil predicted, the low 150s have been a little difficult to find for demos; the Santa Anas fell into my lap more than anything. I've spent so little time testing anything other than the Kenjas in the past five years that I think going for the oddball picks has been worth it, but definitely still trying to hunt down the Astrals!

Not the newest version of the Uschi, but still a very good ski. And in shorter lengths.

Oooooooooh........

TS
LuliTheYounger

LuliTheYounger

Skier
Also (haha, me again) – I think I might be opening a can of Ski School worms with this one, but oh well. I took the Kenjas out today, and we got hit with maybe 6-7" of powder, over old bumps in some spots & tracking out on the groomers over the day. Not that different from the stuff we find off piste, really, but enough that we started talking.

Florida Man mentioned at the end of the day that I seemed like I was taking my sweet damn time in these conditions on the Kenjas & that he thought I was more confident on the Santa Anas. I was pretty surprised by that, but since the flex felt so similar to me, it made me kind of curious if my "unforgiving" feeling with the Kenjas is just that they have less rocker and don't smear & pivot particularly well, especially when it gets a little deeper?

I really assumed it was a stiffness issue, but I feel like I get along fine with the Kenjas as long as the bumps are relatively packed and/or I'm willing to take the fast lane - it's mostly when I'm trying to skid a couple turns in deeper conditions and look around a bit that we start to disagree. Is that a bonkers thought, or is my "bumps" issue just a rocker issue? Am I just jealous of Florida Man's stupid new Bent Chetlers and getting weird ideas? Am I easily persuaded by any random guy with rockered skis? Please help.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I loved a fully rockered ski in powder because they were easy to ski/turn/masked my deficiencies in powder.
They're just not as fun on the groomers back to the lift.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you on the 2020 Kenja?

Sponsor

Staff online