• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mini demo day Head iRally, Kastle MX 84 and Nordica Spitfire Pro

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems to fit.

I Went out to Mt Wachusett in Massachusetts yesterday morning and they were having a demo day. It was a great deal $30 for a lift ticket and access to the demos. It was cold under 10* and the conditions were man made snow pretty well groomed out with some spots of frozen granular mixed in.

I am lifelong skier who who hasn’t skied much in the past 5 years but with an empty nest looking to get back into it. I am 6’ 200 lbs and I am also returning to full strength from a lengthy illness. I don’t quite have the full power back in my legs yet but I am getting closer. My daily drivers are a pair of the old green Head Monster im 82s in a 182(I think). They have been a good all mountain east coast ski.

First up were my new 2017/18 Head iRallys in a 177. I was looking for a narrower firm snow ski and picked these up at a tent sale as an implule buy. In short I think these are going to be a lot of fun for the skiing I do with my family. It took me a couple of runs to find the sweet spot and my legs but the skis make great short to medium radius turns at varying speeds and hold well on the firm stuff.

Next up was the Kastle MX 84 in a 186. Having grown up on 205cm skis I still like longer skis. The Kastle were really sweet. If I was going to have one pair of skis for New England these could be them. For an 84 width ski they hold very well. I could shape medium and shorter turns well and I could tell they would run as well.

Final skis I jumped on was a pair of Nordica Spitfire Pro in a 174. This is a beefy ski that holds really well on the hard stuff. Frankly I didn’t let it run fast enough to get the most out of it. I was skiing with a buddy who is an intermediate and I didn’t want to run away from him. If I was going to do a little recreational gate running or some Nastar these would be a good ski to start with. Right now as a daily driver with family they might be too much.

I had to leave around 12 so I didn’t get to try anything else. I will admit I didn’t really try anything that was a direct comparison to my iRallys because I didn’t want to have buyers remorse.

Sponsor

Staff online