• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Mini Bike TR: Biking around Marin

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Went to a big conference for work in SF last week. Decided to take an extra day off, and pack my bike. My final route ending up looking like this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28709577

Took CalTrain up from South San Francisco to drop my conference gear at a friends place.
1OkPCGV.jpg

Road through the city and did the whole Golden Gate thing.
9jXOLDM.jpg

Stopped at an awesome shop in Sausalito -- Bicycle Odyssey. Shop owner was super friendly and fished out an old frame sticker from when he opened the shop 25ish years ago. I try to get a new sticker for the rig for every multi-day trip I make on it. No pics yet sadly as the adhesive had gone to shit so I need to glue it on.

The suggested a change to my route. So I climbed up old railroad grade road, adding in a summit of Mtn Tam. On the way up got in some nice redwoods.
A5aggA6.jpg

j0xHDHI.jpg

Phone died shortly thereafter. Cruised down some nice pavement, and over to Bolinas ridge. Which was probably the highlight miles of the ride -- of course with no phone for photos.
sgpQO0f.jpg

By the end of that I was pretty knackered and ate a bunch of pizza in Point Reyes Station.
zQ4Va0K.jpg

Hill up to the Hostel wasn't that bad on the way in -- a nice moderate grade. The mornings on the way out sucked though, with a max at 17%.
xPfAwrZ.jpg

Day two was super rainy so didn't ride as much as expected. Into town, up Tomales bay. Couple oyster stands like the one pictured, but with the choice of sitting in the rain and shucking my own, or sitting inside and having a friendly bartender serve them to me, I choose the latter.
0NctVYx.jpg

adBywGB.jpg

Did spend a few hours reading on the misty beach at the end of the day, almost completely alone.
n4bmx6r.jpg

Final day broke nice and clear. Said goodbye to the hostel.
7lxuhd5.jpg

YKuNuVB.jpg

A wet but beautiful ride out.
noN8KnM.jpg

Then baked goods at Bovine bakery (which apparently is a local cycling mecca for their stellar baked goods.)
h8MwzNT.jpg

Over through some rolling hills, and down into another valley of redwoods.
HQS2RZM.jpg

Then down a variety of very nice multi-use paths, and into the crazy rich and insanely picturesque Tiburon. Grabbed a few beers and fries, then jumped on the ferry. Crossing the bay was another nice touch to the tour.
sK12Hi6.jpg

Now bring on the snow.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thats an awesome trip! I've been to the oyster place and point Reyes is an awesome town, very cool. :thumb:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Northern California is one of the most beautiful states anywhere ;).

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Great TR.

I did a 3 day self supported mt bike ride starting and ending in SF following a ski trip to Grand Targhee and Jackson. I nearly died riding down to Sausalito from Mt Tam as my borrowed mt bike's brakes (back in the day of cantilevers) couldn't manage my gear and my weight. I ended up cutting corners praying that there was no oncoming traffic.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I visit Point Reyes for oysters too. Love the local cheese shops too.

It's usually been a family trip, so hadn't done the biking thing due to lack of equipment. Hmm... Got the 4x bike rack now.... I wonder how the dirt/forest road riding is in the area. The rest of the family are working on being comfortable on green MTB paths.