• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Rowe - Drone Intrusion - funny and scary

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In his usual manner, Mike Rowe describes a first hand experience in a way that makes you chuckle because that's what he does, but it also makes you think.
  • We've talked about drones in wildfires, keeping necessary firefight aircraft grounded.
  • We've talked about Marcel Hirscher's close call on a race course
  • Now we can talk about the humorous image that Mike Rowe paints while talking about an intrusion that no one should have to face.
Mike's story, first hand and an image he snapped just before the drone flew away.
Mike Rowe - Published, September 20, 2016

Leave Me Adrone!

Early this morning, deep in the middle of some sort of strange gardening dream, I was awakened by the sound of a giant bumble bee, hovering a few inches from my ear. As I slowly entered a more conscious state, I realized the sound was not coming from a bee in a dream, nor for that matter, a bee in reality. It was coming from something much larger, just outside my bedroom window. Dressed in my favorite pair of non-existent pajamas, I leapt from my bed and pulled the drapes aside. There, not three feet in front of me, was a camera, dangling from the underside of a drone. The red light was on, and the camera was rolling.

I was slow to react, partly because I was still waking up, and partly because my first instinct when confronted with a camera is to say something pithy. I can’t help it. I’ve been saying pithy things to cameras for the last thirty years, and old habits die hard. Well this morning, I had no words for the outrage I felt at such an intrusion. I was incensed, and as Freddy egged me on with a chorus of snarls and barks, I moved onto my second instinct - an irresistible urge to blow the contraption out of the sky.

Seconds later I’d pulled the Mossburg 12-guage from under my bed and grabbed the cellphone from the bedside table. In no time, I was out on the deck downstairs, about fifteen feet below the electronic Peeping Tom. The drone had moved even closer to my window. I could see the camera panning left to right, and I could hear my dog unleashing a level of indignation usually reserved for raccoons and feral cats. Somewhere, in the logical part of my brain, it occurred to me that nothing good can come from an angry B-list celebrity standing on his deck with no clothes and a loaded shotgun, but I was not really in touch at that moment with the logical part of my brain. I was focused only on the joy that would follow the roar of the Mossburg, and the satisfying sprinkle of cheap plastic that would rain down upon my deck in the aftermath.

I pumped a shell into the chamber, enjoying the “crunch-crunch” sound that makes shotguns worth owning. I had a clear shot - nothing but blue sky above - and more than enough umbrage to justify the destruction I was about to unleash. But then, as I was literally squeezing the trigger, I saw the camera tilt down. It was pointed directly at me, and in that moment - I froze.

I’d like to tell you I stopped because I realized that discharging my weapon in such a fashion would be frowned on by the local constabulary. But really, what stopped me was the realization that somewhere nearby, a drone operator was staring at his monitor, pondering the image of a very naked guy with a very familiar face, pointing a shotgun into the lens of his Go Pro and looking every bit as crazy as Gary Busey and Nick Nolte at the nadir of their careers. I froze, because I could see the video that might very well appear on the local news, (with considerable blurring, naturally.) The same video that might soon appear on my mother’s computer screen, along with the headline - “Dirty Jobs Guy Totally Loses It - Gets Naked and Shoots Drone From San Francisco Skies.”

When the moment passed I put the shotgun down and reached for my phone instead, just as the wicked contrivance bugged out for the Wild Blue Yonder. The attached photo is all I have in the way of proof, and I hope to God that’s all the proof you’ll ever see. Because honestly, I have no idea who is in possession of the footage I’ve just described. Nor do I have any idea if it will appear in your news feeds later this week. I sincerely hope not, but I know it’s out there, and there isn’t much I can do about it but make sure - if the unthinkable occurs - that you can all say you heard it here first…

Mike
14352074_1285580754785398_5013828848715562858_o.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I wonder what will get you in more trouble; punching out the lights of a peeping tom who is physically at your bedroom window, or taking a baseball bat to the drone of a remote peeping tom that is hovering at your window.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it was a trespass and it was...Mike was entitled to use reasonable force under the circumstances. Legally that doesn't mean shooting the drone...it means tracking down the owner and shooting them.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it was a trespass and it was...Mike was entitled to use reasonable force under the circumstances. Legally that doesn't mean shooting the drone...it means tracking down the owner and shooting them.

What one can do legally and what one should actually are sometimes at diametrically opposite ends of the spectrum.

But in my heart:thumb:!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
just to be clear, no one owns their air space. That is not close to a home and since people following the FAA regulations have to stay below 400 feet there is little choice but to fly closish to the ground. I am have been studying for my commecial operators license and this flight would be legal either commercial or recreational flight.
By the logic you guys are applying you should be able to shoot any airplane above your property. We all know that is simply not the case.

I also love the people who would assault someone who probably was filming something nearby, I sincerely hope anyone who bring force and aggression towards(baseball bat? really you could kill someone) others gets shoot and die. The only weapons that should be used are defense weapons.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some lady here called the cops because a drone was hovering over her house and she thought it was trying to film down her shirt. She was way too ugly for that, just ridiculous.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll be concerned when I see this flying around my neighborhood...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
its also not legal, but I am certain that you are allowed to take a flying weapon.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just to be clear, no one owns their air space. That is not close to a home and since people following the FAA regulations have to stay below 400 feet there is little choice but to fly closish to the ground. I am have been studying for my commecial operators license and this flight would be legal either commercial or recreational flight.
By the logic you guys are applying you should be able to shoot any airplane above your property. We all know that is simply not the case.

I also love the people who would assault someone who probably was filming something nearby, I sincerely hope anyone who bring force and aggression towards(baseball bat? really you could kill someone) others gets shoot and die. The only weapons that should be used are defense weapons.
Not to get serious in this threat but:

a) trespasses in these instances wouldn't involve ownership of airspace, they'd involve interference with reasonable use of property;
b) right of defense isn't only based on property rights it's also based on assault and invasion of privacy. Defense only extends to what is reasonable under the circumstances in defending person or property.

The air rights concept has to do with public or commercial use of airspace not in conflict with use on the ground.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Fwiw- some a$$hole ruined a perfectly nice summer concert at Killington swooping after the crowd again & again & again......

Really ppl, no one cares about your drone / go pro edit.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I doubt that drone was filming Mike Rowe. I mean who really cares what Mike Rowes does? I could not care less that is for sure. and I mean this with all do respect to Mr rowe. I just want to make it clear again that Mike Rowe does not own his air space, no one does in the USA.
This quote from the other drone thread

I will agree with Josh that the photo Mike took is "not close to a home" but the description in Mike's story said that the drone was hovering just outside his bedroom window for a period of time.
I understand that the air space is fair game, but when its in a proximity that hovers and takes photos of the interior of your home???

As I said in the other drone thread, I think Drones are cool and know that there are a lot of smart users out there, but the availability of these flying objects to the masses is likely to cause some concern to some folks.

Forget drones for a minute:
If someone is in a tree across the street from your house taking pictures of you, is it legal?
If that person climbs a tree in your yard, just outside your window and takes pictures, is it legal?
Both are intrusive, but are both (or either) legal?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Across the street if your own property entirely legal. If someone else property as long you have permissions to be be there again legal. Doing the same from public property is entirely legal.

In someone else yard, not legal if posted.

A drone flying even right outside your window like I said is technically legal. I do not agree with that, but it is what it is. With that said there has to be some way to legally fly over people private property, because with out it its nearly impossible to plan some flight paths.

for instance this a buddy of mine that use a aerial photo drone to get these shots. He is over a mix of private/public property here and I can assure you this drone was no higher than what was over Mike Rowe's house. He could even zoom in if he wanted to. I am not sure if anyone has gotten mad at him for taking these videos, but I can assure you they are entirely legal.

My personal thoughts on this I think a bubble at least around people houses should be inacted even if its a rough idea like like 200 foot from a house on all side including up. With that said unless you have prior approval from the local control tower you are not suppose to fly over 400 feet with any Unmanned Aerial Vehicle of any type. Most store bought aerial photo drones actually are geo cached so they will not fly in no fly zone including the 400 foot ceiling unless you call the FAA, and say DJI(the largest manufacturer of aerial photo drones) to get a special approval to enter in your drone defeating the geo cache for a short time.

Trust I personally want to see Aerial Photo Drone use slightly regulated just so the hate does not get transferred over to FPV flyers like myself. FPV can be fun in a really small area, and since most FPV build their own stuff, they are quite a bit more caring than aerial photo guys who mostly just buy their stuff.

Plus if you ve done the research to put together, programs and configue a quad copter you have probably come across quite a of rules and good rules of thumbs.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let me stir the pot in this response and sorry to the ladies for this example.

An up skirt shot with a hand held camera is bad, done with a drone it is ok because no one owns the air space by your reasoning.

Just to be clear, no it's not!

Same logic applies to hovering outside someone's window, different circumstances but same invasion of privacy.

Look at what the intent is vs the poor wording used

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let me stir the pot in this response and sorry to the ladies for this example.

An up skirt shot with a hand held camera is bad, done with a drone it is ok because no one owns the air space by your reasoning.

Just to be clear, no it's not!

Same logic applies to hovering outside someone's window, different circumstances but same invasion of privacy.

Look at what the intent is vs the poor wording used
This is my line of thinking as well.
Defining drones as aircraft has created a grey area that has the appearance of black and white.
I believe that the drone user in the OP was in Mike Rowe's personal space, not open airspace.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Having a drone does not make an upskirt photo legal, unless its georgia.

https://mic.com/articles/149497/it-...-to-take-upskirt-photos-in-georgia#.NBK2sPMJ9

Tricia what I am trying to explain here is currently 2 inches above the ground is open air space. I personally feel like this is ridiculous but it is the law.

Like I said 200 foot bubble, unless your house is less than 200 feet from another parcel of land.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Josh Matta I understand completely, but just because its "right" doesn't make it feel right. Ya know?

Sponsor

Staff online