• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't see many top kids that aren't working hard out this way. They all do and they LOVE and have a PASSION for the sport/training....that's why mom and dad (us included) fund the circus....seriously we always question what we do this for as just directing that money into a simple savings account would easily pay for multiple degrees at any Ivy league school when it is all said and done...and with better projected earning potential as well. However our daughter simply loves it and we are lucky enough to be able to commit the resources for her to pursue her love....journey is a blast and hopefully she can look back fondly on her experiences. There are kids that compete because mom and day push it....but those kids wash out quickly as it gets hard, gets real and is not worth the effort unless they love it.......those kids crumble when adversity strikes (and it always does in this sport) nevermind it being an absolutely brutal sport; timing doesn't lie and your result is posted for the world to see....nobody to hide behind or blame.

Alpine racing is an expensive sport (I've learned most things with "racing" in it aren't the cheapest endevours)....the need for time and resources isn't going to change anytime soon either. The reality is it still has to do with milage and getting alpine milage costs money. An entire ski day will comprise of what 20 runs if chairlift served? Athletes are really only "working/honing" their skills on the descent. So 8 hours later, 20 runs in you have what 40-60 mins of downhill time...even double it is only 2 hours of development. If you are lucky to have a surface lift, milage increases dramatically.....hence why the best racers tend to be developed with t-bars and poma lifts. If you were a runner, you put your shoes on and go....run for 2 hours...you literally got 2 hours of actual training in. Not so with skiing....hence why I think those that aren't physically gifted can will their way to good results but putting in the time. Of course, the athlete with physical gifts that does the same (and has resources to back them) will still have the advantage. There is a disposible income barrier that unfortunatly limits some talent from further pursuing and developing. Here in Canada it's not that the top athletes aren't deserving, but they do benefit from survivorship as some of their stronger competitors simply couldn't afford to keep going.

Yes, one doesn't need to go bonkers and one can still participate without doing summer training, camps, or paying extra for academies......but unfortunately those kids are simply participating (not saying it's a bad thing). But to be competative is a different conversation. On that end, parents putting piles of money in on the basis of developing a world champ are off their rocker....there is so much to be gained and learned on the journey. Frankly even being a crystal globe winner here in Canada would be a big downgrade to the lifestyle our daughter is accustomed to....we would love for her to achieve that (for her) but cringe on the prospect of bank of mom and dad still needing to be open for business if that happens.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this true in the sport as a whole. I always thought lots of euro racers were middle class which was why I found primos statement surprising.

It’s pretty much the same here. Some differences as ”Europe” is a lot of different countries. In Sweden we’re working with much smaller budgets for the national elite programs than in the ”big” nations in the alpes regions. You see mostly kids to families that are well off in alpine skiing here too. Our academys (ski gymnasiums) are funded by ntl sport assoc but to get in to the good ones you need results from U16, and to get there you need money (unless you live in a resort). So our system is unfortunatelly geared towards being good at 15 y/o (and having a family with some money).

Last edited:

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ski racing is just not ever going to be a sport you can sneak your way into without a lot of resources, whether it's money or growing up in an an Alpine ski station. Either way, it's time on the snow that matters -- you can buy it or be born to it.

I kind of doubt that the top 30 WT skiers are undertraining.

OK, maybe Beat Feuz, but he's said he's limited by bad knees as to how much non-competition skiing he can actually do...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Is this true in the sport as a whole. I always thought lots of euro racers were middle class which was why I found primos statement surprising.
Lot's of Euro racers WERE middle or even low class, but unfortunately not anymore. When I was still racing, I didn't pay for a single pair of skis, poles or boots, nor for a single minute of coaching. It was paid by clubs and later by national team/suppliers. In Austria for example, things were even more extreme, and 13 years old kids were getting their contracts with suppliers and other sponsors. But that was 20+ years ago. In between things changed, and pretty much everywhere in Europe, including Austria or Switzerland, where alpine skiing is pretty much all they have (especially Austria), and skiers are literary gods, things changed. Today costs per season are between 10 and 30.000eur, depending on age and program, and it goes pretty much for everyone except those very few in World cup/European cup teams (sometimes even being in WC team doesn't mean you don't need to provide huge amount of money to be there). Considering average salary is between 1000 and 2000eur/month net (depending on country), you can imagine how many people can afford paying 30.000eur/season for single kid (god forbid you would have 2 kids in same sport). So yeah, even in Europe alpine skiing is not anymore sport of everyone, but sport of those very few kids with super rich parents.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's Sports Illustrated cover story on Shiffrin. Nothing new for those of us who have been following her career but it's a good primer for the 99% of Americans who don't know about their finest champion.
Edited to add that in the age of Astros, her integrity, hard work, humbleness and just regular decency (at least to my eyes) are particularly refreshing.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Here's Sports Illustrated cover story on Shiffrin. Nothing new for those of us who have been following her career but it's a good primer for the 99% of Americans who don't know about their finest champion.
Edited to add that in the age of Astros, her integrity, hard work, humbleness and just regular decency (at least to my eyes) are particularly refreshing.

Thanks for the link. Nice article!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great article. Thanks for sharing that.

I do have to say, I chuckled when I read this...
Sometimes, she says, she feels like a “bubble boy” when strangers approach. “I feel like [they] look at me and are like, Do we speak to it?” she says.

Also, some here have heard this story already but I'll repeat it anyway.
We were skiing at Loveland for Betsy's birthday a few years back and Phil ran into Mikaela in the lodge.
She agreed to have a picture taken with him. I think it was @dondenver who said to Mikaela (something like) "Wow, Mikaela got to have her picture taken with Phil."
Mikaela and Phil.jpg

A few years later he got a snapshot with her at Arapahoe Basin too.
She is such a gracious, poised woman.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Her candor sets her apart from many, as does her performance.
And her ability to be poised and articulate in every interview...amazing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Will there be racing to return to?

Are, Sweden is the12th of March. Finals is supposed to be the 16th - 22nd of March.
Decision on the Finals in Cortina is due tomorrow. I’d bet it’s cancelled. At the least there will be no spectators.

Sponsor

Staff online