• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
You asked, so MS has answered

2018-03-28 23_45_36-Mikaela Shiffrin (@mikaelashiffrin) • Instagram photos and videos.png
2018-03-28 23_45_03-Mikaela Shiffrin (@mikaelashiffrin) • Instagram photos and videos.png

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
She was on the detuned SL ski (S9) not an FIS race ski

Posting a self-correction here: G9, not S9 so she was free skiing the GS model. Regardless, she was ripping up the hill!

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
I saw on MS's instagram story today that she was testing SL skis and the ones in the photo were all 157 cm. Wasn't she on 155 cm last year? I read in another thread that the women on the 157 were at a disadvantage to those on the 155.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
I read in another thread that the women on the 157 were at a disadvantage to those on the 155.

It would depend on the course, any flush or hairpin and the 155's will get you cleaner and quicker through those sets. A faster set and the 157's will carry the speed better. Each have their own perks and disadvantages.

Tom Holtmann

TomH
Skier
She posted a bunch of pics on her Instagram feed with her old tech and her new tech. Is that change due to ski company change or another reason?

James

Out There
Instructor
It would depend on the course, any flush or hairpin and the 155's will get you cleaner and quicker through those sets. A faster set and the 157's will carry the speed better. Each have their own perks and disadvantages.
You're saying the 155 has a different sidecut?
My understanding is the difference is the 155/156 sl skis are different in construction. They are made for U16's or other lighter U18's. The 157/158's are made for the older women. Everything else is the same.
There is no min sidecut requirement for slalom.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Atomic is switching Kim Erlandsson, her tech, to Marco Schwartz. Kim has been with her for 6 seasons, and switching it up is not bad. I would also imagine that supporting MS has been pretty demanding, even more so with the recent move to ski all events. So he might be exhausted. Not sure how much family time he'll get with an Austrian WC skier, but I imagine more. He also doesn't need to deal with this insane training volume, either. And expectations are lower.

So her new guy has been one of Hirscher's two techs. He's acknowledged, I hear, as being exceptional and in the way up. So it makes sense, likely, for Atomic to split that pair up, and put him with MS. Another factor is that Hirscher just signed with Atomic, for two years, through the 2020 season. There is a lot of chatter that he may not even ski that long....that one season might be it.

MS is signed through the next Olympic cycle, 2022. She is soon going to be THE face of alpine skiing world wide{some would say she is now}, and not sharing that. So Atomic will want to do everything possible to keep her flying, and to re-sign her then.

I think Kim was probably great. It's hard work. Change will be good for all, I hope. And yeah, @Primoz may have some more thoughts.

Not going to talk much about her SL skis. They all carry a stardard 157cm topsheet. With what they put into her program, she has a lot of skis pressed for them to build the best stable possible. I would bet that she never skis a SL shorter than a 157cm. And I also bet that everything else is up for experimenting. Maybe not width.

The skis under the feet are purpose built for her. And since she's one of a kind, they are, too, I hear. Not to the extent Hirscher's skis are....but leaning that way.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mikaela will be doing a live Q & A on Twitter, Thursday
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 5.55.30 AM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wonder if she knows how lucky she is that she got her picture taken with @Philpug

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The far right of Shirley at Squaw was fenced off this morning for a race course. Saw a couple people zoom down it (looked like coaches?). Saw a female racer get off the top of Shirley. Riding the lift up with a patroller, he said it was Mikaela training here! Can't believe I missed my GNAR callout.

They opened up the area to the public (or at least a wave of 100 of us poached it) around 11. No gates left but blue lines in the snow. I got about two turns into it before my sore knee rebelled. Skiing down the side, I was surprised how firm the snow was. I'm glad I had done my edges the night before!

Over off Siberia there were a couple serious training race courses which looked busy. We watched some quality skiers negotiate a high speed jump.

Good to see Squaw supporting Mikaela and racing in general.

Eric

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just thought I'd throw this out there. MS has trained a bit in the spring one the past three years at Squaw, primarily because of her relationship with the KSL CEO. In fact, his daughters and their coach have been part of that training. Pretty neat deal.

Now, Mikaela is being paid a healthy sum to be the face of the Ikon pass, and presumably much more for Alterra. In her sponsored social media posts, she makes pretty clear that she will be making an appearance at most Alterra properties for a day or so, this coming season. We'll see how that works out. She's at Mammoth, training speed right now. Of course, it IS the best venue in North America to do so at this time of year, but once again she and her team are being accommodated because it's part of her deal with Alterra.

Yes, she lives in Eagle-Vail, and Ski and Snowboard Club Vail counts her as one of theirs {chichis highly debatable....that ended at about age six!}, but you are going to see her face all over Alterra, and possibly at Aspen and Steamboat more than Vail. Her former coach/mentor is the ED at SSCV, so he'll be doing all he can to have her training there, when in the US.

Nice to be wanted! Just wanted to point out that there is a business case, here. Though, I think Alterra will be very, very welcoming and supportive of Alpine ski racing. There are a number of people in the senior ranks who have had a lot of involvement in the sport. I also think that a number of areas on their shopping list have a lot going on with alpine racing.

Mikaela will be back at Squaw in late May, I hear.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online