• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Why can’t we write it off to her having a bad day and that the pressure finally got to her. For all her skill, professionalism, talent, and support, she is still a fairly young woman. And I don’t say this to be sexist or condescending. I am the father of two successful, wonderful daughters, aged 28 and 31; at 22 they were still in the process of discovering who they were.

I would like to have a "bad day" and be 4th in the world at anything.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Our friend is the TD there at Pyongchang, he says that she is in fact sick, running back and forth to the bathroom non-stop. Not just nerves.

That;s what I was afraid of.. hope she can shake some or most of it before tomorrow night

James

Out There
Instructor
Our friend is the TD there at Pyongchang, he says that she is in fact sick, running back and forth to the bathroom non-stop. Not just nerves.
Well, now we know!
She also has Roger Federer syndrome. -Won't say anything's wrong until in hospital. Amazed her crew didn't leak this.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
Maybe she's indeed sick, or maybe in the slalom she just skied Run #1 a little too cautiously so as to at least guarantee a Run #2. Personally I think her over-cautious line on Run #1 was the issue, not pre-race puking, which is fairly normal for her apparently.

In her last 5 World Cup races leading up to the Olympics she was off-podium in all, with 3 DNF's, and 2 of those being DNF1's, so maybe something else is going on that's slightly impacting her racing compared to her normal peak incredible form.

Notwithstanding her awesome performance in the GS mind you!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
BREAKING NEWS!

Mikaela Shiffrin’s skis win Olympic SuperG!
That is crazy! We were just talking about that in the shop.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe she's indeed sick, or maybe in the slalom she just skied Run #1 a little too cautiously so as to at least guarantee a Run #2. Personally I think her over-cautious line on Run #1 was the issue, not pre-race puking, which is fairly normal for her apparently.

I'm going with both of these reasons. Yes, she boots before the event fairly often but she said immediately after in the interview that this felt more like a virus coming on..

Epic's team doctor contact has confirmed she is not feeling great at all..

As for conservative first runs, Olympics is once ever four years. Nobody wants to DQ their first run of two in the Olympics. It's different at the other WC events where there is always next week or whatever..

James

Out There
Instructor
Normally in the last third she gains a second to 2 seconds on the field. At Killington it was astonoshing in the first run to see people ahead and then loose that run by over a second.

So 0.5 seconds to make up in the second run really isn't that big a deal- usually. In the bottom of the ninth analogy it's a single, sac fly, walk, It just wasn't a usual day. She said she didn't have the feel and connection to the snow that she usually has almost as soon as she was out of the start.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
As for conservative first runs, Olympics is once ever four years. Nobody wants to DQ their first run of two in the Olympics. It's different at the other WC events where there is always next week or whatever..

Absolutely, and especially when your last few races had some DNF1's, can't fault her for wanting to lay down a safe #1. The other women had to ski lights out both runs with tight lines just to beat her.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's good to see she's feeling better. Will she ski the dedicated downhill or just run for the combined medals? I wish her the best either way. Lindsey's killing it in training btw,,,

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
MS's team has announced no DH, due to another schedule change. Plan as announced is for the combined. We'll see.

Not at all convinced that this DH suits her well. She hasn't looked comfortable in a couple of sections of training, and all it takes is one or two harsh turns to dump even more speed. Unlike a lot of "the press", many in the race world don't think she's a lock for a gold.

Gotta think the stress/tension meter is pretty well pinned. If she gets tossed in those rollers in the DH near the top, ends up in the fence or worse that's not going to help her last four tech races, where she can lock up the overall, slalom and possibly GS globes..

Sound management to me would be to nail those four races and not even start any others. But then again, nobody's asking.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Only 35 skis for Olympics. That is about half than normal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/sports/olympics/mikaela-shiffrin-skis.html

21seventyskis-web1-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Not I. I get a prompt to subscribe to the NYT that comes up a flash after the article opens. Maybe my monthly free access is gone. A lot of NYT articles have been linked these past weeks, even here.

I get the gist. 35 pairs is very light travel. For four disciplines. Pretty sure they could find more......pulled from any other Atomic athlete. She "sorta" has some pull. The company race directors want their best athletes on their best skis, all the time. And they will literally take from one athlete and tech, and hand over to another.
But 35 would have been fine for the Olympics. Unless she was melting speed skis in training....

Sponsor

Staff online