• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Btw. I did not see her at the opening ceremonies?
Plenty of Vonn ;)

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We'll have to wait to watch MS race.

GS Postponed due to wind.

Rescheduling details to follow.

If W's SL goes off before the GS, I think that plays into MS's hand.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One little tidbit covered by Steve Porino during their explanation of today's postponement: while most of the athletes assembled at the top of the course took the gondola back to the base (due to the cold: -1°F air, -30°F with wind chill), Shiffrin skied down (not on the race trail, but on the training trail immediately adjacent), getting a better feel for the snow surface.

As I tell all my athletes: MS takes advantage of every millimeter of every run she does on snow, trying to get better. There's zero waste, no flat-running from the end of the course to the lift, no silly slip-slide turns - just focused free skiing. Yes, that makes her an exception to the norm for junior ski racers in the USA - and what makes her exceptional.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope they are the commentators too. Not impressed with the moguls and snowboard slopestyle commentators.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
She got her first 2018 Olympic GOLD in the GS!!! :golfclap: That's ONE and counting.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
What, no commentary now?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wondering if her pre run jitters and illness yesterday might have been a touch of that norovirus that's going around. They moved a couple of freestylers out of the housing last night to try to keep it from spreading worse..

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Wondering if her pre run jitters and illness yesterday might have been a touch of that norovirus that's going around. They moved a couple of freestylers out of the housing last night to try to keep it from spreading worse..

I'd bet good money Shiffrin and everyone in her cadre are not staying at athlete housing. Too much craziness there for her. And they have the resources to be elsewhere.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd bet good money Shiffrin and everyone in her cadre are not staying at athlete housing. Too much craziness there for her. And they have the resources to be elsewhere.

Never said that SHE was staying in the athlete housing, that was some free skiers. Just said she might have noro and mentioned the others to indicate it is going around. There are countless places she could have picked that up. Somebody in contact with her touched something that somebody else touched that yea another person touched that someone else contagious touched. That person may have even been a ski tech who borrowed a file or stone from someone who had touched something someone else who was sick also touched.. Nasty stuff.

James

Out There
Instructor
She's not sick. One doesn't go from fine to puking merely by stepping into the start house. She's talked about puking in the past. She got a psychologist to deal with it. Bode talked about puking when he was up at the start and racing on air yesterday. So, let's not look to the obvious but make stuff up?

She's dealt with this stuff in the past. She got fourth, not 24th, didn't dnf like Ted in super g. Yeah the pressure is more now but I think she'll be ok. She's been a professional skier for what, 5 years?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
She's not sick. One doesn't go from fine to puking merely by stepping into the start house. She's talked about puking in the past. She got a psychologist to deal with it. Bode talked about puking when he was up at the start and racing on air yesterday. So, let's not look to the obvious but make stuff up?

She's dealt with this stuff in the past. She got fourth, not 24th, didn't dnf like Ted in super g. Yeah the pressure is more now but I think she'll be ok. She's been a professional skier for what, 5 years?
Longer. Skied her first world cup in her first FIS season in 2010-11, and full time on the world cup starting in 2011-12. She'll be fine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Immediately after that, in an interview.. she said "this is different" and mentioned dizzyness and the need to try to take a nap. I mentioned that it isn't uncommon. But she seemed to suggest this wasn't her usual pre start upset stomach..

James

Out There
Instructor
See, nothing new:

Mikaela Shiffrin, Lindsey Jacobellis and the Utter Agony of Fourth Place at the Olympics
-----
Moving forward? I am terrible at that,” Shiffrin says. “No, every single loss that I’ve ever had, I remember that feeling so — oohh — so thoroughly. It’s like a piece of my heart breaks off and I can never get it back. And yeah, today is no different than that. Someday I’ll be able to understand that it’s part of life and I’m just learning and I’m 22-years-old.”
----------
More about the puking in there.

One doesn't have to be a brilliant doctor to infer what happened even if she said publicly it felt like a virus.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
One doesn't have to be a brilliant doctor to infer what happened even if she said publicly it felt like a virus.

Really? Because competitive people can lose - well, not get first place - due to illness and still feel awful about it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why can’t we write it off to her having a bad day and that the pressure finally got to her. For all her skill, professionalism, talent, and support, she is still a fairly young woman. And I don’t say this to be sexist or condescending. I am the father of two successful, wonderful daughters, aged 28 and 31; at 22 they were still in the process of discovering who they were.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January