• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Midwest Hills And Vail, Inc.

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
We live in MN, ski the local hills, have for the last few years been epic local pass holders, and Summit county being our west coast area of choice for various reasons.

Selfishly I wish vail, inc would put the kind of money into afton for lifts as they plan too into Wilmot

Also interesting that there metric numbers on visits doesnt include the numbers from their "urban resorts"

Regardless of crazy weather they definitely made some money. El Niño for sure helped their CA resorts that have been dragging. Will be interesting to see if they acquire a struggling east coast resort given the season they have had as well.

I know many cringe at the idea of corporate types infringing, for lack of better terms, in ones backyard, but personally the epic pass has definitely opened up the skiing opportunities for our family in a big way.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I haven't skied any Vail resorts lately. How did the acquisitions impact regular ticket window prices for local blue caller folks that only ski locally and can't afford season passes?

As for east.. Timerlyne WV is probably in play due to the poor snow season and lift fiascos. WV just opened up some new interstate access that's way better than TL4S had previously.. Used to be 2 hours of tight switchback driving from most directions. Now DC and East folks can get there a lot easier. Traffic could really pick up there with investment in to more reliable infrastructure and new lifts.

Last edited:
TS
midwestfabs

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
I haven't skied any Vail resorts lately. How did the acquisitions impact regular ticket window prices for local blue caller folks that only ski locally and can't afford season passes?

As for east.. Timerlyne WV is probably in play due to the poor snow season and lift fiascos. WV just opened up some new interstate access that's way better than TL4S had previously.. Used to be 2 hours of tight switchback driving from most directions. Now DC and East folks can get there a lot easier. Traffic could really pick up there with investment in to more reliable infrastructure and new lifts.
Went up initially and people complained, but since vail, inc set foot in MN pricing has been about equal to other hills give or take few $ for the local only day and season passes.

Traffic has increased and noticebly so at Afton (MN's vail hill), even with the horrendous season we have had.

Last edited:

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I'd say Afton doesn't really have a lift problem--they have so many lifts, the lines are OK. The real money needs to be spent on the Chalets and Food. They are still stuck in 1980s Minnesota. People are starting to expect a better experience akin to the Moose Mountain Chalet, the new chalets at Spirit and Hyland, etc...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid