• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sidewinder

Booting up
Skier
I am wondering how the effectiveness of a mid layer depends on it’s fit. I am looking to add a light synthetic-insulation piece for skinning/backcountry skiing. At a local Winners store I came across a steal of a deal - a North Face Ventrix hoodie for $90 (Canadian). Only thing is I wear medium usually and this is a small. I can wear it comfortably, but it’s quite snug (not at all restrictive), kind of like a thicker base layer. I can fit a thin base layer and if necessary an R1 fleece underneath. I’m curious if a snug layer like this will be warmer and/or more breathable, or if the opposite may be the case (ie heavier sweating).
Anyone have experience with layers that are snugger than they usually wear, pros and cons, etc?
Thanks!

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Generally a looser fit is better. The extra air space in the jacket is a vehicle for both heat and water vapor (up until the point where the jacket’s big enough to be drafty with air getting in through the cuffs or waist or one so big it’s awkward and bulky to move in). The only time you really want a really close fit is when you’re wearing something with wicking properties.

The Ventrix isn’t the worst jacket to wear small due to the stretch & perforated venting, but I’d recommend at least keeping an eye out through Black Friday/cyber Monday for a good deal on the next size up.

Last edited:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have one and wear it on the small side (have it in medium and usually wear a large). I think this works better as a closer fit since the venting depends upon stretching with your movement. As long as it's not overstretched, as that would make the venting holes stay open constantly, I think it's OK.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I prefer my mid-layer to be a bit loose. When I need to vent I can unzip it and air can flow inside whereas a snug fit would just expose the zipper area to ventilation. My mid-layer is a medium weight fleece.

Charlie Walker

Charlie
Skier
Sorry for the late reply on this, but I have a NF ventrix hoodie, and it's the best piece of clothing I've ever owned (other than my boots, if they count as clothes).

I'm normally a large in most things but got a medium (last one in a sale) and was a little concerned about fit. I didn't have a problem with it, but I wasn't trying to put anything other than a t-shirt or base layer under it.

I've since lost a little weight, and am enjoying using it as an outerlayer (off the hill), with something else underneath.

If I ever come across another of these in a sale, I'll buy it (possibly more than one) without question - for it's weight it's the warmest piece of clothing I've come across. Most days last season I skied in a t-shirt, this and my shell (and frequently had to open the shell vents!

Sponsor