• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid fat with flex of a Dynastar Twister?

WynnDuffy

Putting on skis
Skier
I ski in the east and do a mix of bumps and trees. I have mogul skis (not Twisters, and they are a bit too stiff) but they are terrible in the trees because it only takes about 3 inches of powder before the tips start to get buried and they become hard to turn. I think a good compromise for bumps and tight trees would be a soft flexing mid fat with rocker.

Candidates:
* Rossignol Experience 80
* K2 Press
* Nordica Navigator 80

But I'm open to other options and interested in the feedback since people here know a lot more about gear than I do.

Justin

TS
W

WynnDuffy

Putting on skis
Skier
Height/Weight? Where do you ski? What have you skied before that you liked?

I'm 5' 8" and weigh 165

I haven't demoed a lot of skis so I don't really have a great benchmark. Here's what I've got:

* Fisher Gunbarrel 170. Competition mogul ski that is softer than the Hart's. These are very quick, and when I'm in a nice zipper line they're amazing. But when the spacing of the moguls breaks up and I have to insert extra turns, they are too stiff and fight me.
* Rossignol Soul 180. Original model (so softer than the current Souls). Great powder ski for the East Coast and trees. They are slow and clunky in the bumps but at 107 underfoot, I expect that. I still consider them a great all-around ski that can float and carve, and are light enough to be fairly quick.
* A 10 year old pair of intermediate shaped skis I got in the ski swap to teach my family when I wasn't sure if we'd be a skiing family. 156 cm. For some reason they don't do the typical shaped ski thing of not wanting to release their turns into a smear, so they are surprisingly great in the bumps, and a lot of fun to carve with their 12 meter-ish side cut. But they are full camber the tips get buried in three inches of snow.
* Elan SCX 155. I stole these from my dad, who was an early adopter of shaped skis. They were the skis that brought me back to skiing from snowboarding. They loved to carve and even though they were so soft the tips would start flapping, they were an absolute blast and had way more edge grip than my snowboard (heelside chatter is an unsolvable problem).
* Nordica Santa Ana 165. My wife's skis but we both have 26.5 boots so we sometimes swap for a run or two. I think they are a great all-around ski but even though I'd expect a woman's ski to be very soft, they aren't. They feel stiffer than my Gunbarrels.

CaliFi

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
In my experience, rockered skis are less precise then full camber, and I have yet to ski any that inspire confidence skiing fast in the trees. I still have not found ski as good as my decade old K2 Recons (184/78mm/20m) in bumps and trees (soft tips/tails at 200+ lbs, they admittedly are awful on hard snow). The Rossignol Experience 80s look interesting, @WynnDuffy did you try any of them this year?

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
Many people claim the Nordica Enforcer 88 is good for this. Playful but a pretty good carver for the waist size. Camber under foot with tip and tail rocker. I'm looking at these ski's or Volkl Kendo 88.

Sponsor

Staff online