• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We are planning a Mid-Atlantic Gathering in Western PA over the weekend of Feb 1 to 4, 2019. The Gathering will be centered around rustic and affordable Laurel Mountain Ski Area, where we plan to ski on Sat and Sun, Feb 2 and 3. For those who want to extend the weekend, we may ski Friday, Feb 1 and/or Monday, Feb 4 at Laurel Mtn, or Blue Knob (one hour east of Laurel Mtn), or Seven Springs ski area (45 minutes south of Laurel Mtn). For maximum flexibility we may wait until a week or two before the event to assess local conditions and firm up the exact roster of ski days and venues to be visited by the group, but Feb 2 and 3 are targeted for Laurel Mountain. One example of Laurel Mtn's affordability is that a three day lift ticket there for Fri, Sat and Sunday is only $104 adult, $98 child.

Several of us will be staying Fri, Sat and Sun night in a rustic cabin in Linn Run State Park near Ligonier, about a dozen miles from Laurel Mtn. We can host some après-ski activities/meals at this house, but we expect participants to identify their own overnight lodging. Other rustic cabins are also available, full kitchens but no bathrooms or indoor water, the shower house is nearby. Here are a few other suggestions: On the west side of the mountain, In Ligonier, the Ramada Inn. Located in Laughlintown a little closer to the mountain, is the Ligonier Country Inn. Here is an AirBnB option on the mountain less than a mile from the ski area, Laurel Mountain Cabin. Another AirBnB option between Ligonier and Laughlintown, one of several identical new constructions, is the Sunset Cottage. On the east side of the mountain in Jennerstown there is the Huddleson Court and the Laurel Manor Motel. Several other AirBnB and VRBO options are available. There are several motels in Somerset, PA or Donegal, PA each about a 30 minute drive to the mountain.

We have a few options for extending the weekend and skiing at two additional nearby ski areas depending on interest and conditions. A three day (Fri, Sat, Sun) lift ticket at Laurel Mtn is only $104 adult and $98 child, a Monday ticket at Seven Springs is $67, a Friday ticket at Blue Knob is $35.

We will post further details in this thread as the date approaches. Let us know if you have any questions.

Details on Laurel Mountain: this is a throwback kind of place and although not huge (760' vertical, 20 trails, numerous glades), it has great character, scenic groomers, a challenging steep run (groomed), and several terrific glades and mogul fields when Mother Nature cooperates. It is never crowded and often feels like your own private ski area with a mountaintop base lodge that has amazing views and an awesome pub. We are hoping that in early Feb there will be good ski conditions at Laurel Mtn, but the option of skiing nearby Seven Springs and their extensive snowmaking system will ensure a good variety of terrain to enjoy over the weekend. Laurel Mtn and Seven Springs also offer a joint three-day weekend Highlands Ticket that participants might want to consider among the various ticket options. If we have enough participants we will look into group discounts on lift tickets.

FYI, here are a couple of trip reports with photos on Laurel Mountain and nearby ski areas: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1507
http://www.dcski.com/articles/1554

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well very unfortunately I'll be in Taos that weekend.

I guess that's not really all that unfortunate, but I would have loved to join this.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well very unfortunately I'll be in Taos that weekend.
I guess that's not really all that unfortunate, but I would have loved to join this.

Sorry for the conflict with the Taos event. These dates were picked to hopefully match the sweet spot for Western PA conditions and also fit the winter schedules of Rob (Laurel Hill Crazie) and I, so I think we're sticking with them. I won't be available for a later date.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!! I expect to see pictures! Hopefully I'll get back to Laurel some other weekend.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is very cool. If this fits my schedule, I will make the drive from eastern PA. I have spent summer weekends WW kayaking in the Laurel Highlands; maybe it’s time to finally do some skiing there.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got to wait and see when the scout troop ski trip will be. Sans any schedule conflict with that or work at a job I currently don't have we're a strong possibility, dad plus one skiing teen.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Make sure yinz stop at the Gian Iggle and get some pop on the way. As far as what flavor? Mas nix.

I knows yinzes moved aut ta Reno n at but yinz kin git some Arn City beer at da Gian Iggle. I ain't jaggin yinz neither. It's liggle naw.

Noting that weekend is Super Bowl weekend. There might need to be a Black and Gold party on Sunday evening. (Based on last evening's ass-whoopin of the Panthers)

"Yinz goin dawn to da Stiller game on Sunday? Donnie and Deb says der bringin kielbasa and perogies"

Yinz mean Dawnie and Deb come dahn ta Heinz Filt fer da tail gate but ain't brining no Arn?

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Pittsburghese was long frowned upon as indicating one who is an uneducated, uncouth person. Granted, the mangled grammar reflects a poor understanding of basic English but the unique words and enunciation are a legitimate regional dialect that locals now have come to cherish. So if da rest of yinz don't git it then yinz is jus a bunch a jagoffs n I hope yer bubba loses her babushka.

Editted to mangle grammar and spelling.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dat Wildcat run dahn 'at moun-ain is better en ridin' the Thunner-bolt over dere at Kennywood. Dey should rename it da Jag-wire run. Just watch aht for dem jagoffs dat can't handle slippy hills fallin' dahn it n'at.

Too bad I won't be able to make it. But I'm still going to try to make it to Laurel sometime this season.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Pittsburghese was long frowned upon as indicating one who is an uneducated, uncouth person. Granted, the mangled grammar reflects a poor understanding of basic English but the unique words and enunciation are a legitimate regional dialect that locals now have come to cherish. So if da rest of yinz don't git it then yinz is jus a bunch a jagoffs n I hope yer bubba loses her babushka.

Editted to mangle grammar and spelling.

Kayrful bringn bubba n hur babushka inta dis. :nono:

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
If'n this shindig backs into the last weekend of January, me and mine would make it. I'm sure planning's well along by now, but thought I'd toss it out there.