• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@jimmy Were you in Killington this weekend, or is that this coming weekend?

Got back today. Not much snow while we were there. It was cold and they were making snow, conditions should be great this coming week have fun.

Reactions: wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like rain for the days we will be up there. Still 5 days out, hopefully that will change. If not then I guess we will be busting out the Gore-tex.

Closer to home (but still on the topic of rain), my son and I got out to Snowshoe yesterday. The rain actually ended mid-morning and mostly stayed away until we left mid-afternoon. Conditions were nice, not slushy at all. Skier's left of Lower Cupp was money.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
In today's news, Laurel is opening on Saturday!

Any idea what trails will be open? I just might be able to get there on Sunday... and their website doesn't seem to say. The webcam looks like a lot should be open.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Any idea what trails will be open? I just might be able to get there on Sunday... and their website doesn't seem to say. The webcam looks like a lot should be open.

No idea - and have you seen the GFS for Saturday/Sunday? First we'll have rain Friday night then it will all snap freeze then it will all get pummeled by whatever moisture is left over. Talk about a perfect setup for full coverage - so long as you don't mind an ice deck underneath:

gfs072hr_850_tmp.gif

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
....and, needless to say, if anyone feels like hitting New Germany bright and early Tuesday morning for some trail breaking XC....

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Talk about a perfect setup for full coverage - so long as you don't mind an ice deck underneath:

Hmm... I don't mind that usually... but Wildcat could be really wild. I've never slid down an entire slope on my back... :eek:

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I'm sorry, I've been remiss in reportage about Laurel Mountain....the Legend returns! Laurel will open Saturday with Ski Top, Broadway and Deer Path open. In reality this is primarily one top to bottom run with a variety of novice options from the chair down to Broadway. Snowmaking probably resumed at the earliest possible moment (sometime yesterday) and continue as weather permits. Last week their Facebook said that that Wildcat was next for snowmaking but that was before about an inch or so of rain over the weekend. Snow is forecast for Saturday. I plan to be there this weekend. I think there might be a couple hundred cult loyalist there. See yinz on Broadway.

Seven Springs opened full time for the season last Friday with most of the front side open minus Goosebumps. North Face and novice Lost Boy is open on the back side along with crowd favorite, The Alley Terrain Park.

I haven't been there yet but Hidden Valley also opened full time on Friday with most of the front side open.

Blue Knob is shooting for Saturday or Sunday. They have been fighting leaking snowmaking pipes and early freez /thaw. Good Luck to the crew at the mountain often called "the best terrain south of Hunter". This Laurel cult kook begs to differ on that one.

The seasons are here. Happy Holidays! Ski Season's Greetings to all! May all your trails be steep and deep.

Oh Crap, Pens and Caps playing tonight. I hope I set the Tivo.!!!

Last edited:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi,

Does anyone know if Round Top will be open this weekend into Xmas? I was hoping to start my season there this Sunday or Monday. Last i checked, they aren’t open yet. Anyone have any back up recommendations for that region? I will be in York, PA for the holiday weekend...

Thanks,
K

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi,

Does anyone know if Round Top will be open this weekend into Xmas? I was hoping to start my season there this Sunday or Monday. Last i checked, they aren’t open yet. Anyone have any back up recommendations for that region? I will be in York, PA for the holiday weekend...

Thanks,
K

Unfortunately, the warm r**n over the next couple days is making this weekend iffy... I'd guess if we weren't getting this, they'd be able to open this weekend. But who knows, now. I'm hoping to ski somewhere in western PA Sunday, on my way to Pittsburgh, but the r**n is making me question that.

The way the weather is looking now, it might be tough for them to open much before the New Year... we need some COLD.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately, the warm r**n over the next couple days is making this weekend iffy... I'd guess if we weren't getting this, they'd be able to open this weekend. But who knows, now. I'm hoping to ski somewhere in western PA Sunday, on my way to Pittsburgh, but the r**n is making me question that.

The way the weather is looking now, it might be tough for them to open much before the New Year... we need some COLD.

Shucks. I guess I’ll leave the skis home then. Ice skating it is....

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
You do remember you ski is still in the shop, right? :D

Good point!!! Will you guys be in Queens anytime in the next few weeks? We still need to shop for poulets and the right soy sauces! I def need to come by before you leave for the epic road trip which starts, when?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good point!!! Will you guys be in Queens anytime in the next few weeks? We still need to shop for poulets and the right soy sauces! I def need to come by before you leave for the epic road trip which starts, when?

No worries, mate. We'll be around for a while. Not due to leave until latter part of January.
Come on by and I'll give you a refresher course on waxing skis.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pumba ... Roundtop, Liberty, and Whitetail all open this Sunday!

Not sure what to expect though - likely just a WROD kind of opening after all the rain. Might want to take a look at the trail statuses Saturday evening if you go.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Itchin' to put my IKON pass to use @ Snowshoe in January. Given the drive from the DC area I'll most likely do an overnight & leaning toward Sun/Mon or Thurs/Fri (less crowded & easier to commit at the last minute). Give a shout if you think you be up that way.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whitetail Wax Report:

CH6 rules!

Who is it for:

Someone who wants to control their own fate on the WROD by escaping the herd.

Who is it not for:
Stoppers who enjoy putting their internal organs at risk from impact from above.

Sponsor

Staff online