• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m toying with the idea of going to Massanutten on Dec 13. Do they have at least one top-to-bottom run open on both of their bigger chairlifts?

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have not been there, but per their website both Showtime and Diamond Jim are open top to bottom

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m toying with the idea of going to Massanutten on Dec 13. Do they have at least one top-to-bottom run open on both of their bigger chairlifts?

I haven’t been yet but Diamond Jim a decently long black run is open as well as upper and lower Showtime which is a decent blue run. Both feed into a green run, Southern Comfort which is also open.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Southern Comfort is the longest, flattest green run that you'll find just about anywhere. I wouldn't really consider it a run for anyone but low level beginners - for everyone else it's just a way to get from place to place... I usually skate much of it if I'm trying to hurry or didn't carry enough speed.

Diamond Jim and Showtime are nice runs (keeping in mind that they're in the mid-A)... there are some steeper or more difficult spots on Diamond Jim each if you seek them out, that makes is a black diamond. But it's mostly blue. I've spent whole days at M'Nut just lapping those two runs.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^
Southern Comfort is the longest, flattest green run that you'll find just about anywhere. I wouldn't really consider it a run for anyone but low level beginners - for everyone else it's just a way to get from place to place... I usually skate much of it if I'm trying to hurry or didn't carry enough speed.

Diamond Jim and Showtime are nice runs (keeping in mind that they're in the mid-A)... there are some steeper or more difficult spots on Diamond Jim each if you seek them out, that makes is a black diamond. But it's mostly blue. I've spent whole days at M'Nut just lapping those two runs.

Agreed. The real reason I even mentioned Southern Comfort is Jim mentioned top to bottom it is the easy main drag to the bottom from the upper areas of the mountain.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes!! I DO!! But I'll be at Sunday River, not in the mid-A... I'll have to stoke it up when I get back. :cool:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unfortunately not this weekend as I’m helping my son get back on his feet after surgery. Keep me in mind for anything in the MidAtlantic going forward though as I want to get out with everyone for some turns.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Planning on Snowshoe this weekend. I'll see if I can come up with something stoke-worthy.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I'm hoping to get at least a half day in at Elk on Sunday, weather dependent.

The beautiful thing is that the Mrs and I have a seasonal rental one mile away until 3/31. So stoked for this season. I will mainly be a (long) weekend warrior, although we'll be there the week of 12/26 - 1/1. Below are me and the pups on Sun 12/2, our first weekend in the place. Not a bad view for a foggy day - can't wait for a bluebird day and to gaze at the lights at night.
IMG_5850.jpeg

I'll probably be solo a bunch, so would love to meet up w/ a few of the NEPA Pug crew, maybe even organize a gathering there. Any interest?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just an opinion, but, the lumping of Pocono ski areas in NE Pa, near Philly and No Jersey, into a Mid-Atlantic thread is not well thought out. Prior to this year, Mid Atlantic covered the areas in So. Central Pa, WV and VA. There is little interest between members of either the traditional Pocono or MidAtlantic groups, It is awkward to go through many posts about areas where members do not ski. Last years Pocono thread was well responded to and created a good level of buzz and meet-ups.

One vote for establishing a unique Pocono thread.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Just an opinion, but, the lumping of Pocono ski areas in NE Pa, near Philly and No Jersey, into a Mid-Atlantic thread is not well thought out. Prior to this year, Mid Atlantic covered the areas in So. Central Pa, WV and VA. There is little interest between members of either the traditional Pocono or MidAtlantic groups, It is awkward to go through many posts about areas where members do not ski. Last years Pocono thread was well responded to and created a good level of buzz and meet-ups.

That's why I put half my posts in the Mid Atlantic thread and half in the New England thread. Confusion.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Wisp has opened today. Cam shows a couple people coming down Squirrel Cage.
Wish I could get out there.

upload_2018-12-14_9-15-19.png upload_2018-12-14_9-16-46.png

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still looking at Snowshoe for Saturday, despite the forecasted rain. You know what they say, "Never cancel a ski trip because of a weather prediction". Anyway until then here is a picture from Monday, just some low-angle powder turns from hiking a hill near my house. LocalTracks.jpg

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier

Was there a Pocono thread last year?

Either way- I totally agree @Living Proof , but believe it should be called NEPA, or something to that effect. Elk is technically in the Endless Mountains.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier

Nothing stopping you from starting a NEPA thread. Just tag it Mid-Atlantic so it will be easier to search. I ski SWPA and WV and find it a slight waste of time going through Pocono posts. Nice to have all in one for those that travel around the Mid-A but like most, if I'm driving 4 hours to ski, I'll add more to hit Vermont given lodging and lifts cost about the same.

Sponsor

Staff online