• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Spreading out the snowmaking over time. Last year, there were several extended cold spells, but they had to stop snowmaking during some of those periods since they ran out of H20.

I got that from your first post, I'm just wondering what CVR's practices can tell us about the current ground temps in the Valley - 'coz those temps will be hyper important both to keep CVR from turning into sheet ice and for Whitegrass to get white off what's coming.

46106984_1960366807350749_8129906000749658112_o.jpg

And yes, I know CVR tends to spread their first batch of made snow over warm ground just to make things look pretty on the webcams.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback fired the guns up today. :)

They appear to be doing some work near Sullivan quad base and are blowing over on Laurel Glade and Meadows along with King Tut. Almost as if they are trying to get Baily Chair open before Sullivan.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It could be the push we need or it could be a wash that's been typical. Tune in to find out. I'll be on Laurel picking up sticks. Too bad I sold my AT stuff at 7S last week. I got to pick up unsold stuff at the Springs on Saturday too. I''l take my skis just in case.

Snowfall projection 11.16.18.PNG

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Hunter is opening this Saturday. I guess it's time to tune some skis.

Never sure if this belongs here or in the North East.

Since it's good news, I'll post it twice.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Officially according to the region tags that go on the threads, New York is in the Mid-Atlantic, and the "Northeast" is New England and Eastern Canada.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

While I'm not going to complain and am glad we have a place to talk about our region I sort of agree with this statement for northeast PA and NY state. 7 Springs, Wisp and the VA and WV areas (all Mid Atlantic areas) are farther away from here then the Northern New England, areas and we certainly are not considered to be a part of that region. My feeling is that the Pocono's, Catskills and Berkshire's are more of representative of our region then either the northern New England or Mid Atlantic areas of western PA, WV and Va.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Big Boulder is opening this Friday and will be open for the weekend!
My feeling is that the Pocono's, Catskills and Berkshire's are more of representative of our region then either the northern New England or Mid Atlantic areas of western PA, WV and Va.

I completely agree with this, especially from a cultural standpoint. I grew up in NEPA and that part of the state def feels more the "North East".

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with you @4aprice ... but then there's this :

resort-map-jpg.28613

From this thread : https://www.pugski.com/threads/please-read-welcome-to-the-updated-resort-forum.5729/

I actually thought we had one "Northeast" tag that included eastern Canada and New England... bu looks like there're two different ones.

And this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

Yea I get the definitions, just don't necessarily agree with them. It's all just grist for the ever grinding mill anyways (and something to have a little fun with). My own 4aprice regions would have the Adacks with Northern New England, Berkshires (and Litchfield Hills of Ct) with the Cats and Pokes. Places in NY State west of 81 could stay with the Mid Atlantic areas. I would really mess up the map wouldn't I?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You guys have it so good. I remember as a kid, we were happy if Camelback opened 12/24...To be open by Thanksgiving...let alone before was unheard of.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
It could be the push we need or it could be a wash that's been typical. Tune in to find out. I'll be on Laurel picking up sticks. Too bad I sold my AT stuff at 7S last week. I got to pick up unsold stuff at the Springs on Saturday too. I''l take my skis just in case.

View attachment 58127

More of a wash then a boost but still on track to open Thanksgiving.

webvid17.jpg

You guys have it so good. I remember as a kid, we were happy if Camelback opened 12/24...To be open by Thanksgiving...let alone before was unheard of.

How long have you been suffering from these terrible conditions? Thanksgiving with a WROD is enough to be thankful here, I guess.

mt rose 11.15.18.PNG

9e5b7bd9-3f9f-4799-b9f8-1eb735c571c2

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
The sow line appears to be east of the Laurel Ridge. Yinz guys in DC should be seeing flurries. Rain and sleet here just north of Paris on the Point. It looks likes snow on the ground in DC CNN feed.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The snow is piling up outside my office in Wilmington, DE. I wouldn't mind so much if I could go skiing and didn't have such a steep hill to drive up to get to my sub-division.