• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
I second Jim's positive assessment of Wisp. Be aware though that the top section where the various faces meet is pretty flat, so boarders (or newbie skiers who cannot skate yet) may have a bit of trouble getting around. All in all, though, a good Mid-Atlantic resort with some good skiing.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whitetail and Liberty are generally the busiest two places within easy day trip (80-90 mins) of Wash DC. As you know, all mid-Atlantic ski areas are relatively quiet on normal weekdays. Crowds on prime weekends are usually a little more manageable at Wisp (3 hrs from DC) than Whitetail, but Wisp can be pretty busy too. If the terrain is open, several chairlifts on the “backside” of Wisp are often good for crowd avoidance on busy days. In fair weather Wisp is one of the most scenic ski areas in the mid-Atlantic with nice views of 3900 acre Deep Creek Lake. It skis bigger than the 600-700’ vertical might imply because trails go off in three directions from the summit with good variety and they have a good snowmaking system. I’m sure it also averages more annual natural snow than Whitetail.

Old Wisp trip reports: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1162

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1056

The Wisp and the surrounding lake area is a special place, especially on a non-holiday weekend. Beautiful area. I’m a bit biased though as I grew up in that area and most of my immediate family still live up there.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
So for friday....a weekday...but before a holiday weekend...Wisp or Whitetail or Liberty?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whitetail. It's in pretty good shape. No reason to drive extra miles for Wisp for day trip unless you get some big price break, which you'd give back on extra gas/driving. I don't think Liberty has as much variety open right now.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So for friday....a weekday...but before a holiday weekend...Wisp or Whitetail or Liberty?

Whitetail or the Wisp would be fine but I’d expect Whitetail to be more crowded later in the day on a Friday. Massanutten would be a good possibility as well.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Whitetail. It's in pretty good shape. No reason to drive extra miles for Wisp for day trip unless you get some big price break, which you'd give back on extra gas/driving. I don't think Liberty has as much variety open right now.

If I go to Wisp I'd probably stay the night and ski until the crowds got bad on Saturday

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier

Liberty is all open except lower Strata and White Lightning. The bumps are slowly forming on lower Eastwind but are already quite large on upper Eastwind and upper Strata.

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skiing at WG today was nice, inspite of crowds the snow was nice to tour on. Medium density snow with no base was packing down well and climbed even better. Managed all the way to Baldy on mah fishy scales and got to ski down some sweet Adam freshly groomed down track. Wanted to get that in b4 the weather mess to come.

Hopefully the R thing will not be too bad.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Ended up doing 9 hrs at Whitetail. Great morning, warmed up and got pretty sloppy and slushy. I switched to Mantras at lunch and absolutely blasted through the slop. I didn't even look at the snow most runs knowing that I'd power through whatever sloshy speed bumps were built up, and there were a lot. It was crowded but mostly with beginners. If anyone was there I was the guy going way too fast using 4-6 year olds as gates.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Liberty was in great shape tonight with all but a couple runs open and zero lift lines. We arrived around 4 with the snow falling hard and skied until around 8pm or so. Based on the snow on my truck when I hit the parking lot I’d say they got 3-4” while we were there.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Heading to snowshoe Thursday & Friday - we'll see how much rust there is.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Guess snowshoe had quite a bit of rain Wednesday night - lots of ice, a lot snow washed away.
A bit of fresh snow to start covering up the ice. So lots of fast & straight for me.