• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Three sessions each its own color..
27655017_1978989952116533_8347812108452249722_n.jpg

27657853_1978722075476654_2532332887798468648_n.jpg
:golfclap:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Canaan Valley and Timberline got about 5 inches of snow Saturday afternoon/evening. Which was fortunate since they got about 1.5 inches of rain on Friday followed by a sudden freeze. I skied T-Line Sunday AM and CVR Sunday PM. Too lazy to take pix, but the skiing was great and the scenery beautiful, with the snow pasted to the trees on a bluebird afternoon. The Drop and Off The Wall skied surprisingly well - there was some nasty looking coral reef under the new snow, but it was edgeable and smooth tracking, despite the nasty sounds under your feet. No complaints from me.

Enjoyed the softer bumps on Off The Wall today, with temps around 60.

590D7B49-EAB1-4E23-BC7C-A97D9A615CA8.jpeg

2AF424B4-6ED5-4468-946E-52303415994C.jpeg

There was a tricky crux at the bottom of an eight foot snow whale:
8A4C4D53-1307-4273-9B09-2008E7EDB43F.jpeg

And some more grass:
9CF17BB2-FCA6-41A6-8DA3-3799E00F7E62.jpeg

With this heinous warmup and rain forecasted for most days this week, I doubt T-Line will be able to push out enough snow next weekend to be able to get to the trails from the top of the lift:
414F2A3D-EE33-40B3-B8C3-8B1BC990D19C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Enjoyed skiing at Canaan Valley Resort with JohnL on Saturday. Drove through 4-6” new snow up to Laurel Mountain area on Saturday evening. Very slick driving on 219 in Deep Creek Lake area. Fun day with Laurel Hill Crazie and friends on fresh snow at Laurel Mtn on Sunday, but limited terrain. Presevered through rain Monday morning at Seven Springs for some fun, dryer PM skiing on soft snow. Virtually no lift lines at all places due to timing and weather. Will try to post a report with photos later.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Canaan Valley and Timberline got about 5 inches of snow Saturday afternoon/evening. Which was fortunate since they got about 1.5 inches of rain on Friday followed by a sudden freeze. I skied T-Line Sunday AM and CVR Sunday PM. Too lazy to take pix, but the skiing was great and the scenery beautiful, with the snow pasted to the trees on a bluebird afternoon. The Drop and Off The Wall skied surprisingly well - there was some nasty looking coral reef under the new snow, but it was edgeable and smooth tracking, despite the nasty sounds under your feet. No complaints from me.

Enjoyed the softer bumps on Off The Wall today, with temps around 60.

View attachment 39843

View attachment 39844

There was a tricky crux at the bottom of an eight foot snow whale:
View attachment 39845

And some more grass:
View attachment 39846

With this heinous warmup and rain forecasted for most days this week, I doubt T-Line will be able to push out enough snow next weekend to be able to get to the trails from the top of the lift:
View attachment 39848

That's exactly how The Wall looked at this same time last season.. same giant bare spot with a little patch of brown mud to hop across.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looking like almost time to trade the ski poles for a fork as this season is almost "done". Webcams showing thinner and thinner white trails. Rain in the forecast all weekend. I'm going to take a look at conditions and consider one more day trip March 3rd of 4th. Not looking good beyond that if we even make it that far. Out West is just now getting cranked up though so woot woot for those fortunate enough to have the vacation/retirement time and funds to go get that! One of these days I'll be out there with you. Came very close to booking Gathering arrangements until mrs crgildart lost her job. Blew all our other savings and PTO leave last June out in Yellowstone and Jackson. Should have brought skis hahahaha..

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Looking like almost time to trade the ski poles for a fork as this season is almost "done". Webcams showing thinner and thinner white trails. Rain in the forecast all weekend. I'm going to take a look at conditions and consider one more day trip March 3rd of 4th. Not looking good beyond that if we even make it that far. Out West is just now getting cranked up though so woot woot for those fortunate enough to have the vacation/retirement time and funds to go get that! One of these days I'll be out there with you. Came very close to booking Gathering arrangements until mrs crgildart lost her job. Blew all our other savings and PTO leave last June out in Yellowstone and Jackson. Should have brought skis hahahaha..
Yep the NC season is toast...The thought is that if you can hang on till March you'll be able to stay open for a while longer but the reality is too much rain, too much fog, and too much heat. Wolf is closed, Gat is closed, Beech is closed, Sugar looks like crap and should close, etc. etc.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...heinous warmup and rain...

Laurel Mtn, PA and Massanutten, VA are closed for the year. Blue Knob, PA did not operate this weekend. They hope to reopen if forecast improves, but are officially closed until further notice. Timbeline, WV is down to five thin covered trails, don't believe any from the summit. Canaan Valley, WV down to four trails today, closed for upcoming mid-week. Any other mid-Atlantic areas closing before the end of Feb? Sad times:(

Last edited:

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hopefully you guys doing better than us in southern Indiana. Ohio river is very high causing water to come up and flood base of ski area. Coupled with melt from snow it’s not good. I guess the good news is that if they can ever get the lifts open pond skimming is ready to go.

6EE5A5DC-521C-46F4-9AA6-E230E096B47D.jpeg

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
SNOW KAYAK!

*sniff* if only I didn't have a SOF

Lol yea good idea there. Just slide down the hill on kayak and into the lake at bottom. Facebook feed reminded me of 3 years ago when it was cold and the snow covered the ski area no gaps between runs. Mother Nature is cruel this year.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow.... central PA is holding on.... Whitetail still only has a couple of slopes closed, though it's not looking good.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looking at next weekend to close the season.. Appalachian most likely, got a credit there to burn.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wow.... central PA is holding on.... Whitetail still only has a couple of slopes closed, though it's not looking good.

Remember how last season they closed SL and WT early, and sent all the season passers to eke out their 90 days at RT? No way can they afford to do that 2 seasons in a row.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
yea, things are not looking good for eastern PA. I had another thread pcocno specific but realizing should have posted here. Blue had closed for the weekend to "preserve" as they called it. And re-opening now but about 10 runs lighter. Wouldn't be so bad if the temps allowed for blowing. Blue is pretty generous with blowing but hec even the nighttime temps are not even where they need to be. Unless mother nature throws a surprise soon I don't think this will last all but maybe a couple weeks at best and its over. Ive got a couple tickets for Blue which I need to still burn and I just hope life allows me to get there before its too late. Im going to try next weekend to run up there for a day with my son. After which (as many you know) ill be out west for a short week. Hope when I get back I wont find the season truly over around here. If so ....guess I'll be cleaning up the golf clubs. But Im usually much happier at the end of golf season to mention that its time to break out the ski gear vs saying this. .

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Remember how last season they closed SL and WT early, and sent all the season passers to eke out their 90 days at RT? No way can they afford to do that 2 seasons in a row.
Yep. RT tends to hold onto snow better anyway due to facing north... but WT is still mostly open, though sketchy looking.

Sponsor

Staff online