• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
App looks like they're down to the mid station boo hoo!! Oh the humanity!!

slopecam.jpg

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I went up to Whitetail this morning to get some last turns in for the year and was surprised by how “good” the snow was. Farside and Bold Decision were groomed and in good shape, with Exhibition still holding on to its bumps. Granted, the bottom of Exhibition had a 10 foot corridor that you had to negotiate to get to the lift, but with no one there it was not a problem. I’m guessing with the rain forecast for tomorrow, they’ll have to groom the bottom of the trail to keep it open. Fanciful and Snow Dancer were also in surprisingly good shape.

I talked to one of the workers and asked what the target date for staying open is and he said that they were hoping for March 18th but are now going to try for the 11th. He said that he had even heard talk that they might try to blow snow this weekend. I seriously doubt that, but who knows.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Hmm.... if they make the 18th, maybe I will get 1 more local day after the Gathering.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I went up to Whitetail this morning to get some last turns in for the year and was surprised by how “good” the snow was. Farside and Bold Decision were groomed and in good shape, with Exhibition still holding on to its bumps. Granted, the bottom of Exhibition had a 10 foot corridor that you had to negotiate to get to the lift, but with no one there it was not a problem. I’m guessing with the rain forecast for tomorrow, they’ll have to groom the bottom of the trail to keep it open. Fanciful and Snow Dancer were also in surprisingly good shape..

There's almost always a corridor on Exhibition, usually it's much further up the hill just before the first steep pitch.

^^^
Hmm.... if they make the 18th, maybe I will get 1 more local day after the Gathering.

You should do a SnoTime season closer GTG.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Eyeing Wintergreen for Sunday. Highlands and Eagle appear to have survived the rains and show as open this afternoon. Next couple nights should allow then to blow some stuff to fill in the bare spots some.. Sunday mid morning is looking doable for me.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Im hoping to hit Blue on sunday if I can get home from a family (party) function early enough Saturday night.

And so this nor'easter is suppose to change to change to snow in the poconos and give a good drop. But right now and for next many hours this is very heavy torrential rain. I don't know what to make of it. Blue is closed tomorrow and expect to re-open Saturday with 5 to 10 inches but accuweather states more like 3.

But will the torrential rains (so very heavy for many hours) prior to the snow be too much a bad thing even if it does snows enough? I honestly don't know cause its a heck of a lot of rain simply hammering the area. Does that ruin too much? will many runs simply get too washed out too far even if it does snow 3-6 inches or whatever amount afterwards?
I mean Ill check things tomorrow and Saturday of course. It could end up a slushy wet mess. Iyts not that cold so even the snow will be heavy wet sticky. Sometimes its like your breaks popped down..lol

Then even if it is good for Sunday....will (what could be one the last weekends of the year) with a good snow drop cause the same crowd (absolute disaster crowd) I found on prez weekend where we just had to leave early cause it was just that terrible?

I honestly don't know what to do or expect lol but I would like to go and get another day in if its worth the drive and effort..

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Im hoping to hit Blue on sunday if I can get home from a family (party) function early enough Saturday night.

And so this nor'easter is suppose to change to change to snow in the poconos and give a good drop. But right now and for next many hours this is very heavy torrential rain. I don't know what to make of it. Blue is closed tomorrow and expect to re-open Saturday with 5 to 10 inches but accuweather states more like 3.

But will the torrential rains (so very heavy for many hours) prior to the snow be too much a bad thing even if it does snows enough? I honestly don't know cause its a heck of a lot of rain simply hammering the area. Does that ruin too much? will many runs simply get too washed out too far even if it does snow 3-6 inches or whatever amount afterwards?
I mean Ill check things tomorrow and Saturday of course. It could end up a slushy wet mess. Iyts not that cold so even the snow will be heavy wet sticky. Sometimes its like your breaks popped down..lol

Then even if it is good for Sunday....will (what could be one the last weekends of the year) with a good snow drop cause the same crowd (absolute disaster crowd) I found on prez weekend where we just had to leave early cause it was just that terrible?

I honestly don't know what to do or expect lol but I would like to go and get another day in if its worth the drive and effort..

Do you enjoy stressing over this? Why wouldn't you just wake up an hour earlier and head to Elk where it is snowing already and they wont get rain. It might be crowded Sunday, but at least there will be no question about the conditions. And, it's a better mountain to ski anyway.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do you enjoy stressing over this? Why wouldn't you just wake up an hour earlier and head to Elk where it is snowing already and they wont get rain. It might be crowded Sunday, but at least there will be no question about the conditions. And, it's a better mountain to ski anyway.
Cause Ive still got two paid lift tix to use at blue before a lose out on them.
Otherwise id consider Elk. And fwiw not stressing over it nor do I enjoy that. Concerning about conditions at Blue which I want to hit on sunday is a good thing cause in life its not real important anyway and (as much as we love it) it is only skiing and it means Im able to do something fun.
But the extra hour drive is a lot for a day trip anyway.
5 and a half to 6 hrs round is a lot for only a one day imo. As mentioned in my post.....with a family function Saturday night it be a real effort to get going early enough to even hit Blue . Add an hour to that and not really the drive I'd want to make after a long and late night. I'd be falling a sleep at the wheel on the way back home..lol but not really funny.

Fwiw on another note Blue barely even snow yet as it seems they are at the border of the rain/snow line. And wow on the vid cams they look very thin right now after all the overnight torrential rains. For their sake they better hope the snow changeover happens right now and that it snows a lot. Otherwise this could possibly almost do them in for the season.

Fwiw I will have to try elk one of these days (or next year) . Its one place I never been but would like to. Probably not the hill for my wife (to many blacks no? but myself and my son yes.

Last edited:

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Cause Ive still got two paid lift tix to use at blue before a lose out on them.
Otherwise id consider Elk. And fwiw not stressing over it as next week Ill be in Colorado but I wanted to get the day at Blue and use my tix.
But the extra hour drive is a lot for a day trip anyway.
5 and a half to 6 hrs round is a lot for only a one day. As mentioned in my post.....with a family function Saturday night it be a real effort to get going early enough to even hit Blue . Add an hour to that and not really the drive I'd want to make after a long and late night. I'd be falling a sleep at the wheel on the way back home..lol but not really funny.

Fwiw on another note Blue barely even snow yet as it seems they are at the border of the rain/snow line. And wow on the vid cams they look very thin right now after all the overnight torrential rains. For their sake they better hope the snow changeover happens right now and that it snows a lot.

Fwiw I will have to try elk one of these days (or next year) . Its one place I never been but would like to. Probably not the hill for my wife but myself and my son yes.

elk is just OK. def worth going for a day here and there.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
elk is just OK. def worth going for a day here and there.
Thanks, but its a drive. My days of making 2-/1/2 or more hr drives to ski for one day are simply not what id like anymore. I can hit Hunter/catskills region in that time too . But for me it then becomes more of an over night thing Not saying id never do it anymore at all. But imo that's a lot when I could be skiing in 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. Its that drive home that gets to be a daunting task and then you got to put everything away and all.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goose, I'm about 20 miles due east of Blue, the snow is coming down hard! You should have good conditions, unless the hoards scrape everything off on Saturday.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goose, I'm about 20 miles due east of Blue, the snow is coming down hard! You should have good conditions, unless the hoards scrape everything off on Saturday.
That's good news. I can see that on the cams now. It actually began to mix to some snow here in eastern jersey. Those rains most the night were unreal over here. I assume you had similar there. Had this been all snow it would have been one of those 2 plus footers. That would have been great to save the season. Would have sucked for commuting to work and all ..lol..but great for the ski season.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Thanks, but its a drive. My days of making 2-/1/2 or more hr drives to ski for one day are simply not what id like anymore. I can hit Hunter/catskills region in that time too . But for me it then becomes more of an over night thing Not saying id never do it anymore at all. But imo that's a lot when I could be skiing in 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. Its that drive home that gets to be a daunting task and then you got to put everything away and all.

that's exactly my point ;) there are much better options closer to home. and for the marginal extra time, the catskillz provide much better terrain options.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone thinking of going skiing tomorrow should check that the ski area has power. I have been without power for over two hours, and there are widespread outages being reported in this area

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading up to the Elk area tonight to see what this Nor'easter is all about... ogsmile

Be carefull it's brutal still puking. Over 2' at my house just north of Elk. They should be good for some time now, was getting ugly.