• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I am thinking about Elk next week any thoughts on the conditions?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thinking about Elk next week any thoughts on the conditions?

I was there Tuesday (snow day)... Conditions were good on all slopes because of the fresh snow falling. Snow on Tuesday and Wednesday will definitely help surface conditions....but......keep an eye on the weather for the rain events on Mon/Tues.

FYI...they have not been actively blowing as much snow as they have in the past because of rumored "water rights issues" and some of the local favorites were still not open---the 3 Indians which are the 3 slopes between Slalom and Delaware. (as of Tuesday they were still grass)

If anyone goes.....make sure you visit the fence!.....You might see something that deserves a "like"!

Last edited:

Uncle-A

Skier
I was there Tuesday (snow day)... Conditions were good because of the fresh snow falling. Snow on Tuesday and Wednesday will definitely help surface conditions....but......

They have not been actively blowing snow because of rumored "water rights issues" and some of the local favorites were still not open---the 3 Indians which are the 3 slopes between Slalom and Delaware. (as of Tuesday they were still grass)

If anyone goes.....make sure you visit the fence!.....You might see something that deserves a "like"!
Thanks. If the conditions are not improving because they cannot blow snow I may l look at some other location.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Had a local friend who was at Blue on Thursday for the first time......he had all positives to say about the place. He described it as... it skis like Elk, but more fun! (Better lifts, adirondack chairs out in the sun, friendly vibe, music playing, people smiling, etc.)

I haven't been down there since the mid 80's when it was "Little Gap"......I gotta get down there this winter (midweek)...lol

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Elk and Blue are my Pocono favorites with Jack Frost a sentimental third since it's where I started skiing. I would not recommend visiting Blue on the weekend unless you like long lines. Elk without those three trails wouldn't be much fun. These places all have different vibs and there is something to detract from all of them, but I can still have an enjoyable day.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@BC. All of the Catskills are skiing fantastic after this weeks round of 6 to 8” and sunnny skies at present.
Even weekenders I know who ski Plattekill came up Thursday to get in some runs and report good conditions but limited terrain.

IMHO I think your ranking for crowds tomorrow goes as follows.

1 HuntA, just cuz !
2. Belleayre , the new gondola. It’s nice but still a beginner mountain and the liftys don’t load 8 so a major bottle neck at the base.
3. Windham, good amount of terrain open
4 Plattekill, no one skis there.

The forecast for next week isn’t very promising so yes, a good weekend to come up.
If I wasn’t packing for Big Sky I would join you !

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@BC. All of the Catskills are skiing fantastic after this weeks round of 6 to 8” and sunnny skies at present.
Even weekenders I know who ski Plattekill came up Thursday to get in some runs and report good conditions but limited terrain.

1 HuntA, just cuz !
2. Belleayre , the new gondola. It’s nice but still a beginner mountain and the liftys don’t load 8 so a major bottle neck at the base.

The forecast for next week isn’t very promising so yes, a good weekend to come up.

Uncle-A

Skier

1 HuntA, just cuz !

What shape will Plattekill be in next week after this warm spell and some rain early in the week?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Uncle-A
Conditions at platty will take a beating if we get the 3/4 inch of rain in the forecast and remember they are only open F, S and Sunday.

Forgot to mention the great skiing during the storm at windham and Belleayre partially because both had snow making in progress during the storm with the water to air ratio nicely worked out.

The group consensus was that trails marked closed was mearly a “ suggestion ” to keep the riff raff out :D

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A
Conditions at platty will take a beating if we get the 3/4 inch of rain in the forecast and remember they are only open F, S and Sunday.

Forgot to mention the great skiing during the storm at windham and Belleayre partially because both had snow making in progress during the storm with the water to air ratio nicely worked out.

The group consensus was that trails marked closed was mearly a “ suggestion ” to keep the riff raff out :D
Thanks, as always you provide the best info.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

1 HuntA, just cuz !

Sounds great....me and a buddy are headed up to W in the am..

CC, thank you for a great report!...have a great trip!

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
Does anyone have any recommendations on a ski instructor or a place to take lessons? I just came back from 4 days skiing in Tahoe and it reminded me that there is still a lot that I can improve on. I've never taken a lesson before. I would characterize myself as an intermediate/low advanced skier. I can ski most terrain, although not well as it gets more challenging. I'm definitely still fighting not to be in the backseat as much. Do you just call up a resort and schedule something? Something within 2-3 hours of DC would be preferable.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone have any recommendations on a ski instructor or a place to take lessons? I just came back from 4 days skiing in Tahoe and it reminded me that there is still a lot that I can improve on. I've never taken a lesson before. I would characterize myself as an intermediate/low advanced skier. I can ski most terrain, although not well as it gets more challenging. I'm definitely still fighting not to be in the backseat as much. Do you just call up a resort and schedule something? Something within 2-3 hours of DC would be preferable.

Kcip... assuming you're looking to take a private lesson, I can recommend the L3 instructor I have taken some lessons from at Whitetail. And I could get you a recommendation for Massanutten if you'd rather go there.

As far as how it works, yes you can just call and book a private lesson. I'd recommend looking to get an L3 instructor as they tend to be the most experienced... since you're at an advanced level you might get that anyway.

Privates in this area are about $100 an hour usually.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
We have a nice crew heading to Elk on Friday- it's our traditional "PA Invitational" Weekend.
I believe we'll hit Montage on Saturday. Sunday, we'll see how it pans out... calling for rain as of now.

@BC. yes, the gate situation deserves a like!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it's in the evening. we usually get to the mid-mtn lodge around btwn 6 and 6:30pm and the clinic starts at 7pm goes until close. i'll be in the same helmet and jacket as in my avatar, and chartreuse pants. @vanhoskier has pugski stickers on her SL skis...but those will be kinda hard to see. we have a large group taking the clinic (about 13 ppl), so we are easy to spot.

There’s a Pugski sticker on the back of my blue POC helmet, and one on the right rear window of my olive green Outback...As well as on my Black Crows skis...so any Pugski peeps skiing NEPA can keep an eye out.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied Wednesday at Jack Frost with Dieter and Kim Kirschner who own Alpina Ski Shop in Blakeslee... 8” of snow reported, which seemed accurate. Snow was very light and dry, more like western snow than our typical eastern snow, which made for fabulous skiing. Hardly anybody was there, so we had some first tracks, and even the skied out chop was light and fun. The trees were awesome as they see little traffic midweek. I skied my Black Crow Captis, which are super fun, poppy skis and perfect for that amount of new snow. I was beat after chasing down Dieter all day at speeds slightly out of my comfort zone.

Thursday night was race clinic at Blue as @guitar73 described, although he’s in a different group than @tinymoose and me.

Returned to JF Saturday with @guitar73 for Subaru WinterFest. Snow started out somewhat chalky but became softer and buttery as the day wore on. Trees were nice but I was tired and not feeling 100%, so I preferred long lazy turns on the Black Crows. Subaru really put on quite the event this year with some nice swag, s’mores with organic chocolate over campfires, and hot chocolate and coffee plus live music and free Noridica demos. I hopped on the Navigator 85 in a 172 but I found it a little stiff in the flex and also a bit short. @guitar73 also tried the Enforcer 93 and enjoyed that ski....I was going to hop on it, but when the time came, decided to stay on my own skis and let someone else in line try the Enforcer. I wanted to head out again today to,ski but find myself home nursing another sinus infection.

After the rain coming and return to colder temps midweek, it’ll be bulletproof conditions for our race clinic, but that’s what SL skis are for.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We have a nice crew heading to Elk on Friday- it's our traditional "PA Invitational" Weekend.
I believe we'll hit Montage on Saturday. Sunday, we'll see how it pans out... calling for rain as of now.

@BC. yes, the gate situation deserves a like!

I’ll probably be at Montage on Saturday... look for a blue POC helmet with a Pugski sticker on back!

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
Kcip... assuming you're looking to take a private lesson, I can recommend the L3 instructor I have taken some lessons from at Whitetail. And I could get you a recommendation for Massanutten if you'd rather go there.

As far as how it works, yes you can just call and book a private lesson. I'd recommend looking to get an L3 instructor as they tend to be the most experienced... since you're at an advanced level you might get that anyway.

Privates in this area are about $100 an hour usually.

Yes, I was planning on taking a private lesson. The L3 instructor at Whitetail sounds great! That is one of the closer areas and I'm able to get discounted lift tickets through work. How long are your lessons typically?

Thanks!

Kcip

Booting up
Skier
@Kcip - is Wintergreen on your radar ?

Wintergreen is probably a little bit too far. I would probably end up going to 7 Springs if I was going to make the longer drive. I have family nearby 7S, so that makes the longer drive a little bit more manageable (e.g. a place to sleep if I don't want to drive back).

Sponsor

Staff online