• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't appear to be a thread like this yet.... So it got down to 34 degrees this week in DC, it's almost November, my skis are back from waxing and tuning, and I'm watching the World Cup race from Solden. Seems like winter is almost here!

:yahoo:

They're already skiing in Colorado, Oregon, and Nevada ... any guesses on the start to Mid-A season?

Every year I hope for Thanksgiving weekend, but that's really rare... More realistically, it would be nice to have it get cold enough by mid-December for the snowmaking to get things open.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
He's here! Looking like "game on" next weekend for all of us.. I'll be shooting for Thanksgiving Saturday assuming this guy sticks around for more than one week.'

hqdefault.jpg

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
He's here! Looking like "game on" next weekend for all of us.. I'll be shooting for Thanksgiving Saturday assuming this guy sticks around for more than one week.'

Meanwhile it was 75 degrees at Whitetail today. Stupid low altitude resort... why can't you be higher? :nono:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure their webpage/weather info is broken...it was most definitely not 75 degrees there today.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure their webpage/weather info is broken...it was most definitely not 75 degrees there today.

Yep... you're right. I was in NH, and thought maybe it had warmed up down south. Back in DC now, and it's definitely not warm. Whitetail's webpage still says 76 degress!

Still... no snow making in sight yet.... it's going to be in the mid-50s this coming week.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
They are blowing snow at Blue Mountain!!!:golfclap::roflmao::yahoo:
and more past couple nights.
But honestly while that excites me I do understand its the Poconos. Mother nature can be pretty cruel to us skiers of this area. I don't count on much till at least January and even then it can be questionable.
But I have to say Blue is a favorite of mine as for Poconos and where I usually go. Unlike others they will blow snow whenever they get the chance. Imo they make a good effort and I like the hill and the runs they offrer. Its a nice ski hill imo.
Yea it gets to be a zoo on weekends but what in the area isn't a zoo on weekends? And unfortunately I am stuck to weekends for the most part. Hence why I usually don't even consider it till at least January unless we get some lucky snow before. I just cant take the drive and make the effort for an over crowded partially open Pocono hill.

Thankfully mountain creek (which I hate) sucks up a lot of the NYC and surrounding area locals because if not for them Blue would be unbearable as for crowds.
But SHHHHH!! I shouldn't have said anything.

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
and more past couple nights.
Thankfully mountain creek (which I hate) sucks up a lot of the NYC and surrounding area locals because if not for them Blue would be unbearable as for crowds.
But SHHHHH!! I shouldn't have said anything.

I feel the same; I love Blue but I mostly go on weeknights, since I'm just 30 min. away. MAX pass for weekend travel.
Blue must have an opening date in mind; this is the first year I've really paid attention to their early snowmaking. How long would it realistically take them to blow enough to spin chairs?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I feel the same; I love Blue but I mostly go on weeknights, since I'm just 30 min. away. MAX pass for weekend travel.
Blue must have an opening date in mind; this is the first year I've really paid attention to their early snowmaking. How long would it realistically take them to blow enough to spin chairs?
well, again I suppose it depends on mother nature and her temps. A day with warm temps and especially if rain can undo a ton of snow making efforts efforts quickly. But lets stay positive.

On another note Blue did away with the 6hr ticket. I suppose they felt too many were not buying the 8hr..lol.
The 6 hr ticket was nice cause if ya git a late start or planned a somewhat early end it was a good option. That said I think they priced the 8hr ticket reasonably well to be fair.

I think Im going to buy the special 3-day (weekend/hol/anytime deal) for 119. That 40 per and a great deal for someone who has no need for a season pass and usually stuck to weekends. Im going to buy 2 of those they are available till thanksgiving and usable all year.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We skied Blue the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago and then a couple weekends before Christmas. The early season tickets are a good deal. That was the year of the polar vortex. A season to remember. Maybe the Poconos have made me more tolerant of crowds.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've got a couple different 800-1000 vert options about 3 hours away. I'd rather have 300 feet 30 minutes away. I grew up in the suburban midwest ski territory and never realized how much I'd miss it until a few years ago. I definitely dig having much better terrain at mile high elevations within day trip range but still miss the night skiing and easier weekend logistics.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
@tinymoose, @vanhoskier, and i skied big boulder today and it was better than i expected. i suppose since we got there just before 3, the crowd was very light. that was nice b/c the trail width that was covered was about 2/3 of the full trail (freedom park was the only trail open today). several rails, kickers, and a box near the bottom were set up. the snow was quite sticky/moist, which causes several areas of death cookies/marbles...but those were easily avoided. we stayed until 4:30-ish b/c we were getting hungry, and loads more people started to show up then.they turned on the guns again (blowing on love park and the base area) as we were leaving. après was at boulder view tavern, where i had the beef short ribs (fabulous).

it was good to get back on snow, even if it was only freedom park. stoke level rising for this season!

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
@tinymoose, @vanhoskier, and i skied big boulder today and it was better than i expected. i suppose since we got there just before 3, the crowd was very light. that was nice b/c the trail width that was covered was about 2/3 of the full trail (freedom park was the only trail open today). several rails, kickers, and a box near the bottom were set up. the snow was quite sticky/moist, which causes several areas of death cookies/marbles...but those were easily avoided. we stayed until 4:30-ish b/c we were getting hungry, and loads more people started to show up then.they turned on the guns again (blowing on love park and the base area) as we were leaving. après was at boulder view tavern, where i had the beef short ribs (fabulous).

it was good to get back on snow, even if it was only freedom park. stoke level rising for this season!

Photographic evidence:

23434937_10155157939360897_4427345203394655341_n.jpg

23435287_10155157939480897_4974452067584322291_n.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Photographic evidence:

23434937_10155157939360897_4427345203394655341_n.jpg

23435287_10155157939480897_4974452067584322291_n.jpg
Yep, it’s a tiny little hill. But I’ve embraced skiing in places like this.....Big Boulder is PA’s oldest commercial ski area (1949), and the first ski area in the country to use snowmaking. The history of some of these little places is quite interesting.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whitetail is showing this on their webpage :

upload_2017-12-5_23-36-4.png

Looks like at least a week of cold nights coming - maybe at least 10 days. They may be able to open!

:yahoo:

Sponsor

Staff online