• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mezcal, Tequila etc - All things agave

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
All tequilas are mezcal, but mezcal is not tequila. Got that? Since I found no mention here of the agave distillates from our southern neighbor, I figured I’d start a thread. I am by no means an expert, just a recreational drinker that enjoys the history and complexities of the agave distillates and who wants to impart that enjoyment to a wider audience.

So I spent this past Sunday with some friends eating homemade tacos and tasting a few mezcals and a bacanora. The mezcals included a jovan, a reposado and an anejo. The jovan was from Ojo de Tigre, a fine example of a young mescal; smokey, oily, viscous and tingling to my lips, smooth and very nice overall. The reposado and anejo were both from Agave de Cortes which a friend had brought back from a recent stay in Oaxaca. They both exhibited a nice sweet and creamy bouquet with varying degrees of complexity following, to include vanilla, caramel and hints of cocoa at the finish (anejo). I came back mostly to the anejo, it had a nice full equation of finish over the jovan. Some feel that mescal should be drank in it’s jovan stage, but the beauty of the maguey comes into its own when properly aged.

The bacanora was the ringer in the collection. An outlaw drink that was made legal more recently again after 80+ years of being illegal due to an old law from the early 1900’s, made from one agave variety and only in the state of Sonora. Hard to find in this country (another friend found it in Tucson on a recent trip to El Paso), this was from Bacanora Los Cantiles 1905 and an anejo. This was my first exposure to this rare distillation. The bouquet was very much butterscotch but this was a bait and switch, for the palette detected mostly herbal, floral and vegetable notes at all stages, very few sweet notes though it was smooth and left a tingle to my lips. An amazing drink that needs further exploration!

Additional notes; when drinking mezcal, citrus slices (orange, lime or lemon) may be included along with tajin or just water (typical in Oaxaca). My one friend said that breakfast in Oaxaca would often consist of pan dolce, hot Oaxacan cocoa and a shot of mezcal to be sipped.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a thread that would likely take off closer to summer.
I like tequila as do many others, but tend to switch to brown liquors this time of year.

Meanwhile, I remember one day at Vail when we had refrozen coral reef type groomers so a few of us went into MidVail Lodge and ordered one Tequila sunrise to share amongst us while we waited for the sun to soften up the frozen coral. Then we ordered another...and another.
Something got soft, but I'm not sure it was the snow. ;)

A few I know were there...
@jimmy @DeAnn Sloan @Philpug and a few others (Sorry I can't remember everyone)
It was 8+ years ago, but dang it was a fun group to hang with.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mezcal's only a problem when someone else also wants to eat the worm. More often than not it was all mine..

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lately we've been sipping shots of Hornitos (horny toes) with a lime wedge in the glass.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile, I remember one day at Vail when we had refrozen coral reef type groomers so a few of us went into MidVail Lodge and ordered one Tequila sunrise to share amongst us while we waited for the sun to soften up the frozen coral. Then we ordered another...and another.
Something got soft, but I'm not sure it was the snow. ;)

A few I know were there...
@jimmy @DeAnn Sloan @Philpug and a few others (Sorry I can't remember everyone)
It was 8+ years ago, but dang it was a fun group to hang with.

That was fun, making the best of a bad situation. I think Phil disappeared for a car nap? Finndog/ @Ron and @MaryG also joined the festivities i believe.

I prefer reposado in just about everything. I remember asking for a Tequila drink other than margarita for cinco de mayo several years ago @pais alto suggested that I had not had a margarita until i tried his recipe, he was right. I have been making Paloma in the summer, a nice refreshing grapefruit, club soda and tequila cocktail.

1575647412411.png

We don't talk about drinking enough around here :roflmao::beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That was fun, making the best of a bad situation. I think Phil disappeared for a car nap? Finndog/ @Ron and @MaryG also joined the festivities i believe.

I prefer reposado in just about everything. I remember asking for a Tequila drink other than margarita for cinco de mayo several years ago @pais alto suggested that I had not had a margarita until i tried his recipe, he was right. I have been making Paloma in the summer, a nice refreshing grapefruit, club soda and tequila cocktail.

View attachment 86538

We don't talk about drinking enough around here :roflmao::beercheer:
We are probably better to talk about it than actually do it.
:margaritarocks:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like many, I experienced the misery of vomit inducing shitty tequila in my younger days (cough Jose cough Cuervo cough Gold). I refused to drink it for maybe twenty years until someone introduced me to 100% agave.

I too find most reposados to be the sweet spot for me. Great for sipping (no shots with salt/lime, that's for college kids)

I've only recently began to sample some mezcals. Again, the bad memory of Monte Alban or Cujano Rojo prevented me from going there for a long while.

A recipe for the perfect Margarita:
2 oz Tequila plata (100% agave!) - Kirkland Silver is perfect and extremely budget friendly)
1 oz Triple Sec (a better liqueur makes a better cocktail -Drillaud's is my go to, Cointreau if you want to up the game)
1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice (non-negotiable)
a dash of agave nectar for a bit of sweetener.
Shake with ice until your hands freeze off.
Serve up in a chilled coupe or cocktail glass with a lime slice garnish, (salted rim optional)

:margarita::daffy:

TS
Popeye Cahn

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mezcal's only a problem when someone else also wants to eat the worm. More often than not it was all mine..

Yeah, homie doesn't do the worm varieties so the only problem is savoring the bottle lol

This is a thread that would likely take off closer to summer.
I like tequila as do many others, but tend to switch to brown liquors this time of year.

I rarely drink mixed drinks so I drink whatever I fancy year 'round, maybe I'll add some ice in the summer ;-) The smokey glow of a good mezcal is akin to the peatiness of a good scotch, so for me anything goes especially if I am in need of an alcohol jacket in the winter lol

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tried my first mezcal (Vago Elote?) margarita recently; I'm in no rush to repeat. Not a fan of pretty much anything smokey, including scotch.

I've evolved to 100% agave syrup/nectar for the sweet side of my margaritas - really punches up the flavor.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried my first mezcal (Vago Elote?) margarita recently; I'm in no rush to repeat. Not a fan of pretty much anything smokey, including scotch.

I've evolved to 100% agave syrup/nectar for the sweet side of my margaritas - really punches up the flavor.
I thought the Cointreau WAS the sweet side of a margarita.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love tequila, but I'm not fussy.

Can somebody recommend a sorta kinda higher end version.

Lone overdue favor for a friend.

Thanks!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love tequila, but I'm not fussy.

Can somebody recommend a sorta kinda higher end version.

Lone overdue favor for a friend.

Thanks!
Blue Nectar Resposado or Dobel would be my personal picks.
ETA: Espolon is also worth noting as probably the best bang for the buck Tequila you can get right now.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
a sorta kinda higher end version
In order to get a useful response you need to come right out and name a dollar figure. What's your budget? (Not that I have any well informed answers, btw. But spending is spending.)

Sponsor

Staff online