• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mezcal, Tequila etc - All things agave

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We like Chichicapa Smoky Mezcal, but in very small quantities!
Chichicapa has a relatively light nose, yet it is deep and sweet on the tongue with lots of citrus and a complex character. It has a long finish with developing smokiness and a hint of chocolate and mint at the end.
I am still on the fence about mezcal. It's an acquired taste, I guess, though God knows I've acquired plenty of tastes over the years. I think mostly it always reminds me of this song, which made an impression on me as a college student.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
My 22 year old daughter introduced me to Casamigos...dang, it is hard to purchase anything else now. They certainly drink way better at this age than my husband and I did!

No, George Clooney doesn't need the cash, but realistically which liquor companies are hurting for it?

Margaritas in our house = good tequila, fresh lime juice and a dollop of agave.

For those that love coconut, we also make a summer concoction with 1800 Coconut Tequila, coconut water, and lime juice. My daughter adds a splash of coconut cream to hers. Soooo good - like a Pina Colada but better as it is less sweet and well, TEQUILA!
George Clooney already got his billion dollars when they sold the company.

Casamigos Reposado is my go to sipper till dipping into the Don Julio 1942.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am still on the fence about mezcal. It's an acquired taste, I guess, though God knows I've acquired plenty of tastes over the years. I think mostly it always reminds me of this song, which made an impression on me as a college student.

Never liked smokey whiskey, smokey tequila's even worse.

I have been accused of having a pansy palate.

And Leo's song brings back so many memories.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Never liked smokey whiskey, smokey tequila's even worse.

I have been accused of having a pansy palate.

And Leo's song brings back so many memories.
It's definitely an acquired taste. My wife has commented on a "burning electrical" smell. I told her it was what was in my glass. Here response was "you drink that willingly?!" and shook her head. :roflmao:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
With you on that. It's like drinking liquid smoke flavorant that never made it into the bacon.
Ever had a German smoked beer? Jesus that's bad... :geek: apparently they used to dry the malt and hops over a fire. Then they figured out you could do it in a pot instead so it wouldn't taste like a garbage fire. However some still like it apparently...

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Casamigos Reposado is my go to sipper till dipping into the Don Julio 1942
Good grief, so far I have not tried a Reposado. Hopefully, I would hate is as I am so not a whiskey or oaked fan....and the Casamigos Reposado is aged in barrels previously used for bourbon. Plus, if I don't drink it neat, not sure I would upgrade even if I loved it. All I need is for the tequila to be even MORE expensive!

I read up on the Don Julio 1942 - aged in oak barrels for 2.5 years? Glad you love it! it sounds equivalent to a high end Irish whiskey a friend brought back with him after living in Ireland for a couple years. It smelled like a fire pit after a rain had hit it - blech. I told him he better not come into the house with that!

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
high end Irish whiskey
He says it was Scotch from Scotland, lol...what do I know?! He had just gotten back from 2 years in Ireland so I assumed...he believes it was Lagavulin. Makes me shudder to think of the smell. How do people drink this stuff?

Oh, and I saw all sorts of Reposado in the store today, plus the 1800 Anejo Tequila. The color alone has me running in the other direction!

TS
Popeye Cahn

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bloody philistines...

No doubt you all enjoy blue cheese and the various putrid varieties (Stilton et al), or maybe love liver (blerg). That's fine, more peaty scotch and smokey mezcal for me! You can my serving of that stinky cheese and foul liver.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Bloody philistines...

No doubt you all enjoy blue cheese and the various putrid varieties (Stilton et al), or maybe love liver (blerg). That's fine, more peaty scotch and smokey mezcal for me! You can my serving of that stinky cheese and foul liver.
I like smokey whisky and stinky cheese :huh: :roflmao: liver OTOH...I'd rather not eat the cigarette butt of the body.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good grief, so far I have not tried a Reposado. Hopefully, I would hate is as I am so not a whiskey or oaked fan....and the Casamigos Reposado is aged in barrels previously used for bourbon. Plus, if I don't drink it neat, not sure I would upgrade even if I loved it. All I need is for the tequila to be even MORE expensive!

I read up on the Don Julio 1942 - aged in oak barrels for 2.5 years? Glad you love it! it sounds equivalent to a high end Irish whiskey a friend brought back with him after living in Ireland for a couple years. It smelled like a fire pit after a rain had hit it - blech. I told him he better not come into the house with that!
You just have a sensitive palate. That's a good thing.