• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Message in a bourbon bottle found 24 years later

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In 1995 a man tossed the bottle into Lake Michigan with a message in it.

Fast-forward 24 years, the bottled washed up on the Florida Gulf Coast over Memorial Day weekend where Gary Hendrickson found it. He said that he noticed that it smelled of bourbon when he pulled the note out

The note said: "Hello, June 16, 1995, Frankfort, Michigan, I've tossed this bottle into the water to bring joy to anyone who finds it, this whiskey bottle was full a few short hours earlier, if you find this call me, and I’ll buy you a drink."

When Hendrickson texted the number on the message, it worked and belonged to the man who originally threw the bottle into the water.
Since finding the bottle the two men have been in touch.
message in bottle. .jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
D@mn litterbugsogwink
I wonder when they'll get together for that bourbon? Maybe we should promote the moment by supplying Pugski glasses.
img_4369-jpg.75582

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Someone had to do it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On first tasting, it can seem much like sucking on a charred camp fire log. It's not really as unappealing as all that, but it can be described as an acquired taste. I always keep a bottle around. If Costco has it in, they have the best price.

Here's a link to the article that contained that video. It is from a watch aficionado's blog, but captures, I think, Lagavulin's appeal.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/05/01/...y-and-why-ron-swanson-was-right-on-the-money/

Snippets from that blog post:

One of my all-time favorite fictional characters is Ron Swanson from “Parks and Recreation,” the American sitcom running from 2009 through 2015, and I know I am not alone in that.

For those who have not had the pleasure, Ron was rather set in his ways: utterly antigovernment, despite working for one, his three passions were eating meat, woodworking, and drinking whisky. On one occasion, when presented with a salad, he remarked in horror, “But this is the food my food eats.”

He was firm on his views. “Any dog under 50 pounds is a cat, and cats are useless.”

“Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.”

“Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.”

Skim milk was described as water that was lying about being milk.

When it came to whisky, there was one and one only: Lagavulin 16 Year Old. “Nectar of the gods,” he called it...

Nick Offerman, the actor who plays Ron, is apparently a huge fan in real life...

Ron is far from Lagavulin’s only devoted fan. A friend of mine was recently asked by a grateful client to name his bonus for a job. Whatever he wanted. He chose a case of Lagavulin 16 Year Old.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On first tasting, it can seem much like sucking on a charred camp fire log. It's not really as unappealing as all that, but it can be described as an acquired taste. I always keep a bottle around. If Costco has it in, they have the best price.

Here's a link to the article that contained that video. It is from a watch aficionado's blog, but captures, I think, Lagavulin's appeal.

https://quillandpad.com/2019/05/01/...y-and-why-ron-swanson-was-right-on-the-money/

One of my all-time favorite fictional characters is Ron Swanson from “Parks and Recreation,” the American sitcom running from 2009 through 2015, and I know I am not alone in that.

For those who have not had the pleasure, Ron was rather set in his ways: utterly antigovernment, despite working for one, his three passions were eating meat, woodworking, and drinking whisky. On one occasion, when presented with a salad, he remarked in horror, “But this is the food my food eats.”

He was firm on his views. “Any dog under 50 pounds is a cat, and cats are useless.”

“Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.”

When it came to whisky, there was one and one only: Lagavulin 16 Year Old. “Nectar of the gods,” he called it...

Nick Offerman, the actor who plays Ron, is apparently a huge fan in real life...

Ron is far from Lagavulin’s only devoted fan. A friend of mine was recently asked by a grateful client to name his bonus for a job. Whatever he wanted. He chose a case of Lagavulin 16 Year Old.
The last time I had something that smokey, I enjoyed it in small quantities by the fireplace on a winter evening. It took me a while to finish the bottle, but it was savored in every moment.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The last time I had something that smokey, I enjoyed it in small quantities by the fireplace on a winter evening. It took me a while to finish the bottle, but it was savored in every moment.

Then Lagavulin should be high on your shopping list. If Costco doesn't have it, BevMo should. I just checked the BevMo web site, and the price actually seems not out of line with what I remember last paying at Costco.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
On first tasting, it can seem much like sucking on a charred camp fire log. It's not really as unappealing as all that, but it can be described as an acquired taste.
:roflmao:This is a perfect description. It took me a couple of tries to actually appreciate the taste.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Then Lagavulin should be high on your shopping list. If Costco doesn't have it, BevMo should. I just checked the BevMo web site, and the price actually seems not out of line with what I remember last paying at Costco.
Our Total Wine has it.
https://www.totalwine.com/search/all?text=Lagavulin
Not something I'd likely drink in the summer, but I'll put it on my winter beverage list.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's a good price!
I'll still look at Costco, but often times our Total Wine has a comparable price unless you get into the Kirkland branded stuff.
My usual "go to" scotch is the Kirkland 12 year, which I swear is McCallan 12
39.99 for a 1.75L

IMG_0096.jpg

https://time.com/5629145/australia-message-in-a-bottle/

Oh, yeah, Lagavulin 16 year old, my favourite too. Gave my daughter her first taste many years ago. She promptly described it as campfire in a glass.
@Andy Mink and @AKMINK got me a bottle of Laphroaig for my 50th Birthday. When I opened it up, it smelled like a camp fire throughout the whole house.

*for my 50th birthday, Phil threw me a party and told all the attendees to bring their favorite whiskey. I got a really cool variety of bourbons and scotches to try. That's a good husband :rocks: :yeah:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll still look at Costco, but often times our Total Wine has a comparable price unless you get into the Kirkland branded stuff.
My usual "go to" scotch is the Kirkland 12 year, which I swear is McCallan 12
39.99 for a 1.75L

View attachment 77414

@Andy Mink and @AKMINK got me a bottle of Laphroaig for my 50th Birthday. When I opened it up, it smelled like a camp fire throughout the whole house.

*for my 50th birthday, Phil threw me a party and told all the attendees to bring their favorite whiskey. I got a really cool variety of bourbons and scotches to try. That's a good husband :rocks: :yeah:
IIRC, it set off the smoke detector. ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I never watch P&R when it was on.. @Tricia and i have been looking for a show to bing watch...this might be it. The cast is fantastic...I am now wondering why I never watched it.

Sponsor

Staff online