• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Merino Wool

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
Yes, it is. Not something most of us could afford in the early years anyway!! Consider it a timely discovery.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
It's amazing stuff, isn't it? And in the long run, probably more affordable if you take good care of it.

Kiki

Skier
It's amazing stuff, isn't it? And in the long run, probably more affordable if you take good care of it.
I just have to keep the little wool bugs from devouring it. I keep mine in the freezer when not wearing!

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I just have to keep the little wool bugs from devouring it. I keep mine in the freezer when not wearing!

Uh oh, never heard of this. Can’t imagine that putting my clothes in the freezer will go over too well in my house though, so hopefully no such bugs in So Cal.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My favorite 2nd layer is a merino sweater, made by Eddie Bauer, that I found in a yard sale for $5. It is much heavier than the thin smartwool products. I keep it in a plastic bag over the summer months to ward off the bugs. It is very disheartening to see expensive wool items chewed up, buy wool at your own risk.

Kiki

Skier
The bugs prefer the high quality 100% merino and tend to leave the blends alone. An airproof ziplock bag works. Lots of friction at home about the freezer use that is for sure.

I like how i can wear my merino multiple times without laundering. (That does sound bad lol!)

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
cedar planks in my drawers seem to do the trick for bug mitigation. i wish i had a cedar-lined closet for more storage....

Beerman

Booting up
Skier
As an Aussie and growing up, wool went hand in hand come winter time. I've had plenty of hand knitted jumpers get eaten by Moths, Silverfish and the likes. Smartwool and superfine Merino are great products, and will last years, if looked after. Vacuum bags are a good storage place during off season usage. Freezers may work, but what will the Ice cream think.........:roflmao:

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I love merino wool - and it makes me stink less! I consider that basically a public service.

This x 100. Even if a full base layer setup is too expensive, most folks can probably swing a pair of socks (environmentally friendly on the production side, and the 'air pollution' end user side).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have both thin and thicker base layers; for example I use Ibex (R.I.P.) Whoolies 1 as a base layer top and then Whoolies 2 as a mid layer. For the bottoms I usually go with Whoolies 2 boot top length, though use Whoolies 1 on a warmer day, or wear them both on a colder day. I keep everything in zip-lock bags, mostly for easier organization in my gear backpack.

Smart wool socks are good, though I prefer Point 6 now.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January