• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men's Masters Slalom Ski Length

cholly

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi to all.... Wondering if going shorter than 165 would be ok/advisable for a SL ski. I'm 6' and 200 lbs., age 55, still pretty strong and athletic; have no problem handling a FIS GS ski (188/30). I have seen guys my age on 155 to 160, but in my mind that just seems toooo short!

Any input welcome -- thanks

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Hi to all.... Wondering if going shorter than 165 would be ok/advisable for a SL ski. I'm 6' and 200 lbs., age 55, still pretty strong and athletic; have no problem handling a FIS GS ski (188/30). I have seen guys my age on 155 to 160, but in my mind that just seems toooo short!

Any input welcome -- thanks
IMHO at 200 lbs the 165 is short enough. No less than a 163.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I ski on 151-165 cm FIS SL. About the same stats as you. The 151 & 156 can be a struggle at times(heavy deep PNW mank) but are a delight on the groomers.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
On ski runs there are a lot of drawbacks for going shorter than 165 cm, and only one advantage that I can think of. Due to the shorter length of edge you will have more pressure on the edge and cut into ice better. It would need to be very hard ice to make up for drawbacks. On the other hand you might find the instability, quick response and brutalizing the snow when it isn't hard ice lots of fun. Whether or not it would be an advantage on a SL race course I guess depends on how much of a challenge it is to carve around the gates without the shorter turn radius built into the shorter ski. I'll leave that advice to folks with more experience in SL race courses.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
At your size 165 for sure.

radius difference between the 158 and 165 is not very much and you shouldn’t notice in a course anyway (you plan to bend the ski and not ride the Sidecut right :) ).

I’m 5’6” and 170 and I use the women’s 158 FIS ski. Couldn’t imagine a guy your size on it.....

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I am roughly your size and age; based on ScotsSkier's recommendation I went with the Rossi 165 cm FIS SL and could not be any more delighted! The 165 FIS SL skis fantastically well and I cannot imagine being on anything shorter--FWIW, I find the FIS SL much easier to ski than the 188/30 FIS GS.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I find 165 FIS Volkl Racetigers to be magic slippers. With decent technique they're easy peazy and very versatile at all speeds. I'm close to the OP's specs. I mount one hole forward and shim the toepiece slightly.

Took a run on 157's and found them more challenging to stay centered and unstable as the speed went up. Perhaps the shorter length would be good training wheels but 165's shred eastern hardpack.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn't dismiss the 158-160 outright. Give them a try, especially if they are a different brand from your 165s - a more forgiving brand (damp) may ski better in a shorter size. They are a bit twitchier in general, but depending on your skill level that maybe a good thing. I find for me it's more about feel/grip/reactive than absolute dimensions.

Either way, have fun!

TS
C

cholly

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks to all for the input, confirmed what I had been thinking, 165 FIS it will be.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If I had to choose, I'd pick the 165 FIS. But it's close. Both great. Maybe just as good.

Just for recreational skiing, I have and strongly recommend both, 165 FIS SL (Mine are Rossi, from @ScotsSkier, and at his recommendation - tops); and 157 FIS SL (Mine are Atomic doubledeck, very thin edge by now; a former woman racer's ski - also incredible).

You can't go wrong with either of these lengths, surprisingly - as near as I can tell, provided they are tuned properly, especially with at least a level edge fore and aft, rather than (base) edge high fore and aft - a no no. (Tip edge high and/or with a reverse-tapered base bevel at the tip/tail can make them slightly hooky and a touch unstable - mine were briefly before I fixed them.*)

When I first got the 165 FIS, they were perfect. Man, big smiles.
But I have friends who are race coaches and such, who swear by the woman's FIS 156 to 157, also; and are really big guys. And for recreational use or coaching use, they swear by those woman's spec skis as well as the 165 FIS. I experience why every season now.

The earlier post that said the side radius isn't all that different is my experience also. And often, one can find the women's spec ski at a ski swap priced very inexpensively.

*(For example, a racer might have his SL base bevel set at a shallower zero° underfoot, then gradually increasing fore and aft to a steeper .5° tip and tail. But a SL ski can easily get worn or poorly tuned to the reverse, a steeper base bevel underfoot.)

Last edited:

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
I tried 155 FIS SL and found them WAY too soft. I'm 180 lbs. Unless you can get your hands on a true WC model the 155's are made for 110 lbs 16 year old girls. Stay with the 165. IMO

James

Out There
Instructor
I tried 155 FIS SL and found them WAY too soft. I'm 180 lbs. Unless you can get your hands on a true WC model the 155's are made for 110 lbs 16 year old girls. Stay with the 165. IMO
You need the 157/8cm. The slightly shorter designations, 155/6 are for juniors, the longer for women. Or you could get an Augment to your flex liking.ogsmile

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was hard pressed for a pair of SL skis a few years back (My old Völkl's were well beyond life support), and all I could find in my price comfort zone was Atomic Redster in 158. I'm a shade over 6' and 190 and they actually work well so long as you don't get them going too fast. I sometimes wish there was more meat underneath me, mainly at the tail, but they still work.

Given the choice, a bit more ski would be ideal, but the 158 is skiable in a course. They are insanely fun to snap off crazy tight turns ons. :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid