• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

nhskier69

Booting up
Skier
I was fortunate enough a few years back to make a couple of runs with Henri Borel, owner of Chez Henri at Sugarbush Vermont. He is over 90 years old and skis over a hundred days a year.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was fortunate enough a few years back to make a couple of runs with Henri Borel, owner of Chez Henri at Sugarbush Vermont. He is over 90 years old and skis over a hundred days a year.
Love this. I sold wine to him for his restaurant 30 years ago. And more recently - maybe four years ago - had dinner there and got the full over-the-top maître d'hôtel treatment from him, to my astonishment. He offered to take pics of me and Ms. Eeyore. Figured he must be long gone. Nope.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have never met him but God Bless anyone that still skis at 90.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
25588141_10212964878508522_676442271499556344.jpeg

Team Johnson. Maybe not famous but their fun.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Memorable Ski "Characters"

Who has memories of unusual people you've encountered on the slopes? Regular joes, inspirational grandmas, strangers, family, celebs, knuckleheads, etc. . Bonus points if you have photographic evidence.

I'll start with a few that are not terribly profound, mostly just regular folks that I bumped into and had photos to illustrate.

Friendly bearded guy I met at Wildcat, NH in March 2010. Didn't spend that long talking, just thought he really represented a salt-of-the-earth New England skier and it was a pretty day at one of my favorite ski areas. TonyS tells me he's using unusual bindings made by an inventor from Maine.
1321183998_pic1.jpg

59ea9a830d0db_wildcatcharacter.jpg.d1e1da7e9184928fd63f2923bc6fb9ad.jpg

Really BIG Steelers fan on the vintage 1964 double chair at Blue Knob, PA photo taken 2009.
1232629435_blueknob2.jpg

Volant skier named Jan at Sugar Bowl, CA, Jan 2013. I rode a chair with Jan, in center. We laughed over fact that we're both on old Volant skis. He was a 77 yr old Czech who had emigrated to US during political turmoil in 1960s and had done well. Still doing day trips to Sugar Bowl from Bay area.
LL

Michael's Marriage proposal to Josephine at top of Jackson Hole tram Feb 2015 during Gathering. This unfolded next to me while I was sitting on a rock eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
1449287810_llvkztlcm.jpg

75 yr old Bob at Hunter Mtn, NY in March 2014. Skied with Bob for about 2 hours, he had a lot of interesting stories from 50 years of skiing Hunter. Big fan of Izzy Slutsky.
LL

Probably the most enthusiastic ski area marketing guy I've ever met was Eric Friedman at MRG, dang good skier too. Photo from Jan 2010.

A bunch of us bumped into Gary Nate in the Snowbasin, UT lodge last year (center, standing). He was ready to talk our ears off.
900x900px-LL-72797734_CopyofDSCN8946.jpeg

Gary was the camera man who caught this near death sequence at Grand Targhee, WY of the Egan Brothers featured in the 1990 film Extreme Winter:
If @Jim Kenney wouldn't mind I think we could add ski nicknames that are characteristic of these interesting individuals. Most of us have a friend called Moose but what other nicknames are skiing?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'd still like to ski a couple laps with Billy Kidd. Not likely to happen this lifetime but that would be quite cool.
One of my heroes in this photo rides his board over 4 million vertical feet a season at Killington. The other Green Mountain Boy with the cowboy hat moved out West years ago. Steamboat I think. Lots of things are possible if you show up to the mountain everyday.

IMG_1385.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online