• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mellow Moab Recommendations

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mrs. K and The Pup and I are headed for Moab in a few days. She hasn't been back in over 10 years, but after overcoming some hip challenges, says she's ready to return.

I know Moab riding like the back of my hand, but all my knowledge is advanced and above trails. I'd love some recommendations to "ease" her back into things, since I'drather finish the first few days with her saying "huh, that was a bit boring" than "shit, get me out of here".

NOTE: A side trip to the Bookcliff Trails near Fruita is already on the books.

I will repay everybody by at least trying to post some interesting pics.

Thanks!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Subscribed!

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
It's been a long time since I've ridden them, but from I remember the Moab Brand trails were pretty mellow. Klondike Bluffs might be good too.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been a long time since I've ridden them, but from I remember the Moab Brand trails were pretty mellow. Klondike Bluffs might be good too.
These, plus Deadhorse Point trails. Particularly those that are marked as "blue" and easier. The black trails on that system are mostly west of the road, and aren't THAT hard, but there's enough techy stuff close together that it might not be tons 'o fun.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only been to Moab once...so minimal exposure to many trail out there. But I'd agree with the Moab Brand trails...plus you're never too far from the paved walking path, so you can make the ride as long or short as you want, if it's too difficult or just need a break, just hop on the paved path for a little extra spinning.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the input. Dead Horse Point, Moab Brands, Klondike and also Klonzo systems look good. In decades past, Slickrock was a favorite of ours, but Mrs. K worries about falling onto rock with her "robo-hip", so that one may be a no-go.

Since I am an internet genius (able to type words into a simple search engine) I found this great article about this exact topic. A good read:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-trails/the-best-moab-trails-for-beginners-and-casual-riders/

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't be afraid to ride the west Deadhorse Point trails. A few techy sections that are easily walkable, with plenty of rideable stuff in between. And more spectacular views to the south. And, we rode it clockwise.

I need to get back down there. It's such a spectacularly different riding experience than I get here in the Wasatch.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The trip is over, and Mrs. K's favorites were Deadhorse Point Trails (a convoluted pattern that I scouted out ahead of time to avoid much rock hiking), the Moab Brands Trails (Circle O, Rockin A and Bar M) and Klonzo.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The only trail I've ever ridden in Moab was Bar M, I think the first year it was open. Yes, I know, that's weird. Anyway, I remember it being fun.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January