• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet: https://www.ikonpass.com/en

THE IKON PASS
The Ikon Pass is your access to the most iconic mountains in North America. Unique terrain. Real community. Authentic experiences. Enduring memories. Welcome to the new standard in season passes.

QUESTION: WHAT ARE THE ALTERRA MOUNTAIN COMPANY DESTINATIONS INCLUDED IN THE IKON PASS?
Answer: Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort, Stratton, Snowshoe, Tremblant, Blue Mountain, Deer Valley Resort, and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia

QUESTION: WHAT PARTNER DESTINATIONS ARE INCLUDED IN THE IKON PASS?
Answer: Aspen Snowmass, Copper Mountain Resort, Eldora Mountain Resort, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Big Sky Resort, Killington Resort, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Loon Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, and Snowbird

By State
California: Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort
Maine: Sugarloaf, Sunday River
Montana: Big Sky Resort
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain Resort
Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird
Vermont: Stratton, Killington Resort
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Ontario, Canada: Blue Mountain
Quebec, Canada: Tremblant

QUESTION: ARE THERE ANY BLACKOUT DATES?
Answer: More specific details will be announced soon.

QUESTION: HOW MANY DAYS ON THE SLOPES DO WE GET AT EACH MOUNTAIN ON THE IKON PASS?
Answer: Pass privileges will range from full unlimited access to a set number of days that will vary by destination. More details to be released in the coming weeks

QUESTION: HOW MUCH DOES THE IKON PASS COST AND WHEN WILL IT GO ON SALE?
Answer: The price and sale date will be released in the coming weeks.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The only one "missing" that sort of surprises me is Sun Valley. Maybe more to follow.

Pretty strong partner alliance with Boyne, which does not surprise me, at all. Glad to see Powder in the pass deal as partners, with their big resorts.

Lots of areas, details, MANY details and pricing to follow. Very Interesting.

I have to think that a few resorts are going to feel pretty well squeezed by this, but we'll see.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Vail Resorts will be squeezed on the Front Range by this:

Colorado: Aspen/Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Copper Mountain, Eldora Mountain Resort

This seems to be the first time there is a competitive pass product to the Epic Pass. Add to that aspirational trips to Jackson, Alta, Snowbird, Big Sky, and Squaw, and it's very attractive for Colorado skiers. Certainly this one. We'll see how many days at each.

MTN stock hasn't responded yet. Hmmmm......

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I can't imagine -- as a front range skier -- why you would want an Epic pass compared to this. Unless this is 2K. Hopefully it is structured somewhat like Max pass where unlimited days at close hills, and 3-6 travel days to various hills.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
The biggest question for me is: what happens to the resorts that were on the MAX pass, and are now not on any multi-resort pass? Examples are Brighton and Solitude on Utah, now the only two major SLC mountains (not counting Powder Mountain, and assuming Snowbasin stays on the Mountain Collective) not on a major pass. Do they see less destination (or even local) skiers? Do they band together and create their own pass product?

On the East Coast, I will miss having Sunapee, Wachusett, Okemo, Pico, Mont Saint-Anne, and more on the pass.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
The biggest question for me is: what happens to the resorts that were on the MAX pass, and are now not on any multi-resort pass? Examples are Brighton and Solitude on Utah, now the only two major SLC mountains (not counting Powder Mountain, and assuming Snowbasin stays on the Mountain Collective) not on a major pass. Do they see less destination (or even local) skiers? Do they band together and create their own pass product?

On the East Coast, I will miss having Sunapee, Wachusett, Okemo, Pico, Mont Saint-Anne, and more on the pass.

The East Coast mountains that seem to have been left out (assume MAX Pass is dead) should team up with the Peak Pass.

Reactions: RJS

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What passes can we be sure will or will not disappear at this point? MAX? RMSP? Mountain Collective?

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
As a Big Sky season pass holder, I wonder what this means to me, other than more people from CO skiing Big Sky. Will there be some sort of reciprocal agreement with the other resorts on this pass for Big Sky pass holders?

Muleski

Inactive
Who knows how this group was put together, if and when the decision was that it could not be "too big", and/or who decided that the terms to play did not make sense.

As I said, a lot of areas are going to feel this pinch, regardless of the price. My "take" all along has been that these people know what they are doing.

Was surprised not to see the Mueller's who operate Okemo, Crested Butte, Sunapee, in on this. The hard assets at Okemo and C-B are owned by Och-Ziff {along with most of Boyne's properties}.

We'll see what the pricing looks like. I would assume it will vary a bit based on your "home" resort, where you may be based. Could be an interesting matrix.

Nice roster of resort/areas.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
<edited>

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It seems the Ikon Pass is being very very selective about who they are allowing on the pass. This is NOT a full collaboration with Boyne or Powdr.

Alterra chose the best locations from all these groups in the East (notice Pico is not included, though Killington is on the Ikon). They then only chose the top tier destination resorts of Big Sky from Boyne. And from Powdr Copper and Eldora make the Ikon a credible Front Range competitor. The PNW is completely excluded.

Jackson Hole, Alta, and the Cummings owned Snowbird were easily the most iconic independents they could have included.

The Ikon now has a very solid East coast foundation (like Max Pass), a strong alternative in the Denver, California, and SLC markets, and a major list of destination resorts to funnel trips into. This is a very well curated list at the end of the day.

There are a lot of major players left out of this. Okemo and Mt Sunapee are the #2 resorts both in VT and NH by skier visits, all of the RCR resorts are floating, as well as the huge list of Boyne, Powdr, and independent resorts (Snoqualmie, Crystal, Bachelor, Brighton, Solitude, Crested Butte, and Alyeska). Some of the old Max Pass leftovers could make for a scrappy third option if Alterra did not require some kind of non-compete clause.

Muleski

Inactive
Ikonic. As in Icons. Best in class to a large degree. Key partners.

Not a wholesale of cobbling "stuff" together.

Nobody said that Alterra or HCC had to acquire them to co-market the areas. And some have been saying that this really is just starting. Areas to be moved, others to be acquired. Probably more partners.

Maybe this will have VR considering some partners. Quite surprised that has never happened, in terms of feeding the enterprise. I assume that it breaks down with Epic Pass pricing. But, they could offer deep discounts on multi day's passes at VR resorts to passholders of partners.

It's a complicated pricing matrix, and modeling this takes some skill. Then snow and weather can upend it.

Interesting stuff, too be sure.

I agree, if I were Peak, I'd be trying to assemble a group of partners on a pass deal. Could be a win/win for many.

I can already feel some pain, and we may see see a white flag or two being flown. Depends on the overall effect.

I am wondering what's going on with the Muellers. Of course they are just a management company with three triple net leases. And the owner of the assets at the two biggest knows that they have real value.

The two Maine areas and Loon will send a LOT of families West for a week or two a season, IMO, pretty much regardless of price.

Impressive list, so far. Year one.

Reactions: RJS

StuckonI70

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can't imagine -- as a front range skier -- why you would want an Epic pass compared to this.

I'm RMSP and will buy an Ikon over Epic without question, but just some thoughts:

Proximity. 5 hills within 120 miles vs 3 hills. Lots of folks do not give a damn about Steamboat, let alone Jackson, Big Sky, Squaw etc.
Snow. Winter Park is the only "local" hill that averages more than 300". You get 4 hills with Epic beyond that range.
Preference. Folks know what they like and its pretty tough to change their mind. Ex. If you want big wide open terrain, you'll always favor a pass with Breck, Vail and A-Basin.

It's not one size fits all. Everyone has their opinion and there is no right answer.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yay! The Mountain Collective Lives! This is a very interesting pass. I like it a lot. A number of shared resorts with the MCP. Curious to see the pricing.

Muleski

Inactive
Yay! The Mountain Collective Lives! This is a very interesting pass. I like it a lot. A number of shared resorts with the MCP. Curious to see the pricing.

Curious to see what the roster of area/resorts will be. Have they confirmed that it will be the same as 2017-2018? A whole lot of those areas are now announced as being part of this. Could some be out of the MCP? Could others be added?

I have ZERO insight on it, at all. MCP has worked well for a lot of people, in the past. The lkonic is going to work very well for us. Regardless of price, to be honest. Essentially need season passes at multiple areas next season.....all in.

Sponsor