• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
That she made it through with only a sprained knee and some bruising is pretty amazing. That was a lot of helicoptering of skis. Scary.
Really more the hyperextended knee that was caught underneath.....flying skis is ok, limbs bending in directions they are not designed to is a bigger problem.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Stoked for Shiffrin! She built speed the whole way. Barring unseen circumstances I'll go out on a limb & say the overall is a done deal :hail:
:snowball:

So glad Worley wasn't hurt (I hope)

images

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mikaela is something that happens very rarely in almost any sport let alone ski racing. At 22 she is a really great racer and she has years in front of her. Always really fun to have this happen while I am alive and be afforded the privilege of getting to see this happening. In my life time of skiing; Mahre brothers, Stenmark,Tomba, Bode, Vonn and now Shiffrin. Sorta more special too, her being an American racer.

Worley must be one strong girl to rip her bindings out and walk away. DON't use this DIN at home folks !!!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 29, I think she deserves to be called a grown ass WOMAN.
Well, as long as we're parsing words:

"I had a goal that I wanted to come to the next Olympics and be the best GS skier in the world or one of the best GS skiers," Shiffrin said. "There's like 15 girls whose skiing is good enough to win giant slalom." ......"I was watching all these girls go down in the second run and attack; everybody wanted gold," Shiffrin told reporters. "It kind of left me no choice but to do the same thing."

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...in-carries-aura-inevitability-all-way-gs-gold

IMG_2635.JPG

(One on my daughter's favorite tee shirts)

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
I saw it live on the NBC Gold app. As with prior races (except Killington) it ran with the rather unaccustomed format of just raw mic-picked-up sound and no commentary. You actually hear a lot of odd things ... like a disembodied voice explaining to someone that (s)he couldn't go through this way, as everything is closed. And - every time the feed cut to a shot of Shiffrin in the leader's chair - an offscreen voice saying "Smile!" A little bit of conversation between Shiffrin and Laurenne Ross about conditions in the finish area. Some random bits of coaches talking to one another. Etc.

To my eye, Shiffrin ran the one key section differently than the racers before her. I don't know the names of the sections or points on the course, but it's where the course is quite narrow - there's a sort of stretched-out left-footed turn, then a right footed one that falls away right at the top of the steeper section. It was set almost the same for the downhills (though, in the SG, there were more turns on the steep bit that follows). Shiffrin came into it with pretty much a stivot right before the left-footed gate - almost like she was hitting the brakes - but was much straighter from the right-footed gate at the top of the breakover to the next gate. In the couple-or-three steep turns after, the mic picked up some definite high-pitched bursts of consternation. She ran the steep section with an aggressive line (her vocal reaction suggests it might have been more aggressive than she intended), and pulled away from everyone else from there on to the finish.

After her run, it looked to me like other racers (at least some of them) were trying to imitate her line, at least more than the prior racers had.

On injuries: it looked like one of the Austrian racers (Scheyer maybe?) was hurt. She sure sounded hurt when she came to a stop. She got a little back going into the compression at the end of the steep bit mentioned above and got thrown when her right ski hooked up. Could've been an ACL: kind of the classic mechanism. There was a helicopter somewhere (on camera, anyway), though she seemed to be moving around of her own accord on one ski ... but not happily, and not making any use of her right leg.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A young woman calling other young women "girls" isn't the same thing as you are I doing so.

Something similar holds true for various other terms. Fortunately, this is actually one of the less dangerous ones.
While I agree with you, I certainly didn't view it as offensive. Just like a comment made by someone in a WC thread last year when he said, "The girls are more interesting these days"
Truth is, they are.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have nothing but respect for these Female racers. I don't know Worleys age and don't really care other than she is one tough woman/girl/gal/racer/WCupper etc. ripping her binding out without any ill effect to her legs/knee/foot/ankle. And I don't think she would be upset if I called her one really tough girl.

Besides, I was talking about world class racers and their actions not some stupid politically correct crap.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
While I agree with you, I certainly didn't view it as offensive. Just like a comment made by someone in a WC thread last year when he said, "The girls are more interesting these days"
Truth is, they are.
Certainly you can make a case for skill depth. In both genders, each have their top standouts, as you move down the seed sometimes it seems like the ladies show us more fluid technique than the sometimes overpowering men.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
PC Principal point made. Move on...:nono:

“Ladies” GS seems especially interesting to me lately unless Shiffrin begins to dominate, then that will be interesting. :popcorn:

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
PC Principal point made. Move on...:nono:

“Ladies” GS seems especially interesting to me lately unless Shiffrin begins to dominate, then that will be interesting. :popcorn:
I don’t see a dominant GS Skier among this current crop, I see many that, on the right day, can win. As Mikaela said, she thought there was 15, I think it’s more like 5, let’s see at the end of the season how many different ladies winners we have.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shiffrin dominating Slalom and GS with accompanying wins in the speed events would be beyond remarkable. In my opinion probably won't happen but by all means we can't really say she won't either. Super G win by such a margin was unthinkable by everyone a week ago.

Sure fun to watch her race

Dating myself but loved to watch Tamara McKinney race and watch her train and freeski at Squaw.

James

Out There
Instructor
Do we know if Shiffrin has plans for other speed events?
There's just not enough time to train for all events and she needs her slalom training, and sleep.
Her recent thing stated on tv was at the Olympics she had to stay up too late after the gs win for the ceremony. She was a bit off her game for the slalom.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Do we know if Shiffrin has plans for other speed events?
I have no insight beyond what has been stated in the past. I imagine she will pick & choose depending on what her team thinks will fit into her schedule without having major impact on her tech events.

Sponsor

Staff online