• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We're watching the Birds of Prey, with some incredible snow, but not so incredible race conditions, meanwhile Mikaela Shiffrin kills it at Lake Louise, winning the Super-G, giving her a win in all 5 disciplines.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...9718a256cbd_story.html?utm_term=.fe8926215777
Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.04.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.03.55 PM.png

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
She was ripping, was going super fast through the technical sections and no surprise on the win given that!

Hats off to our Canadian Val Grenier with a 5th! Think that is her best finish on the WC. So happy for her, we’ve been following her since her start on the WC. She’s been great to my daughter and so cool to see them both mature over the years.

Great race weekend and the course was pretty much perfect.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Notice also

"Over the weekend, the downhill track at Lake Louise was renamed “Lake Lindsey Way” in honor of Vonn, who missed these races due to a knee injury. All set to retire following this season, Vonn altered her plans and will now compete at Lake Louise next season. Vonn has 18 World Cup wins at what she calls her favorite venue.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
An amazing accomplishment!

I wonder what this would have looked like with Vonn and Goggia present. With such a lead, maybe MS would still be #1?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't know if the race was broadcast on US television but we got to see the race on CBC in Canada.:)

They also showed a video clip of Vonn saying that she is changing her retirement plans, saying that 2019 at Lake Louise will be the final race of her career.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, they had Vonn on Skype of something at the bib draw also saying just that. She truely loves LL and wants to push out of the gate at what has become a home hill for her.

My daughter is more than thrilled to be able to see her at LL again.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw the results on the FIS app and thought at first, "hey this thing is stuck on the Killington results."
It is a good app, by the way, including live and past results with analysis, season standings, and lots of video of individual runs.

James

Out There
Instructor
Impressive run by Mikaela. Speculation by Porino was she didn't mean to take that line but went with it and nailed it. That was a bumpy course.
Tessa Worley's crash was something. Ripped at least one heel piece and a toe piece out of the ski. Haven't jeard if she's hurt.
They also showed Vonn's crash at Copper which looked bad. She's somewhat lucky on that one.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know if the race was broadcast on US television but we got to see the race on CBC in Canada.:)

They also showed a video clip of Vonn saying that she is changing her retirement plans, saying that 2019 at Lake Louise will be the final race of her career.
I watched it on the Olympic channel on Comcast Xfinity service. During ski season, I check this channel regularly for coming races and repeats of those I missed.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tessa Worley's crash was something. Ripped at least one heel piece and a toe piece out of the ski. Haven't jeard if she's hurt.

That’s one tough girl. Her binding rips out of the ski, airbag inflates, and she walks away.
Edit: looks like both her skis are missing parts:
D73A6A96-F274-44AC-B0D4-CD9DF4DA7167.png

Last edited:

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hear it’s not comfortable to breath when the airbag goes off.

She is tough and a lovely lady. It’s a long slide down at that section of the course. (Waterfall to fall away)

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Notice also

"Over the weekend, the downhill track at Lake Louise was renamed “Lake Lindsey Way” in honor of Vonn, who missed these races due to a knee injury. All set to retire following this season, Vonn altered her plans and will now compete at Lake Louise next season. Vonn has 18 World Cup wins at what she calls her favorite venue.

I think they should have named the downhill track after Vonn.

It's actually the "ladies' downhill" run, which is not longer used by women in the world cup. The Women are on the same track as the men (mostly the men's downhill run) with a lower start.

Nice gesture though!

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Saw this today think it says a lot about her, and it is all good.

Mikaela ShiffrinFollow
92 Comments

82 Shares
CommentShare

10K Views ·
44 minutes ago ·
My thoughts on yesterday...
That was a pretty insane day! I really had absolutely no expectations...I just went to the start, visualized the course a bunch of times, and when I got into the gate I was like, 'You know what, I kind of feel like I'm wingin' it, but I know that my skiing is good, so I'll just try to pull that off and see what happens.' Coming on to the breakover, I went super, super direct and there was a moment where I sort of just closed my eyes, put my hands out in front and prayed that I was going to make it on the right side of the gate, and it kept working. Then I thought, 'OK, now I can really straighten it out and I just have to tuck as much as I can...just stay low, stay out of the wind...stay in my most aerodynamic position.' And it just kept flowing. I felt like I kept accelerating and moving forward. It was a really cool feeling...something that I have never felt, really, in a super-G race. I was REALLY excited when I came through the finish...took me a minute to actually find the scoreboard...and then I saw that I was 8 tenths ahead and I was like, 'Are you kidding me?! That's insane!!'

When I was a little girl, I wanted to win every discipline, so this is just a dream come true. I figured that at some point in my career I'd be able to win a super-G, but I definitely didn't expect for it to happen this quickly, because there are a lot of things I still need to learn about speed. For that to happen at this point in my career, I'm really over the moon about it. It was just a really exciting, cool, cool day! THANK YOU to the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team, my family, my serviceman and ALL OF YOU for your support.

Next stop: St. Moritz.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think they should have named the downhill track after Vonn.

It's actually the "ladies' downhill" run, which is not longer used by women in the world cup. The Women are on the same track as the men (mostly the men's downhill run) with a lower start.

Nice gesture though!
Agree, should’ve named the “men’s downhill” portion of the track as it’s most appropriate.

The actual course goes through 5-6 different names runs but the hairiest portion where waterfall and fall away are located are on “men’s downhill”.

Still a nice gesture as there aren’t very many runs named after a racer (especially one that is not “local”).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
They also showed Vonn's crash at Copper which looked bad.
That she made it through with only a sprained knee and some bruising is pretty amazing. That was a lot of helicoptering of skis. Scary.