• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEANWHILE (in non-aero world)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does this mean I can now successfully sell my nearly new but unfashionably standard width carbon MTB wheelset to some wonderful Pugger?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interesting article. My short takeaway: The rim/tire interface does have an aero component to it, but it's negligible in the total scope of things.

@Tony S, I still ride and LOVE my DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon wheels, at the unfashionably narrow 25 mm inner width.

When I'm really ripping smooth flow trails, they DO require 2 psi more to prevent squirm in corners than my 29 mm wheels, but it's worth it -- plus I don't seek out much flow. It was SO cool when it started appearing, but I'm pretty much over it now.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I still ride and LOVE my DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon wheels, at the unfashionably narrow 25 mm inner width.

It’s all relative. I run 38mm-42mm on my 3.0” tires and 80mm & 100mm on my 4.8” & 5.0” tires.

If you have a setup that you enjoy and rides good just run it.

Some like ride of a more rounded setup, some are good with a more squared setup. I find on the more squared I can run a lower psi. But that is also going to be tire dependent.

Last edited:
TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Some like ride of a more rounded setup, some are good with a more squared setup. I find on the more squared I can run a lower psi. But that is also going to be tire dependent.

One of the things I am starting to very much dislike about a squared tire setup is the steering-plane impact knock.

#darksideofpneumatictrail

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online