• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Maybe they need DPS Phantom?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For us at recreational speeds, this is not a big issue - but I can see very abrasive snow over a 2 minute 120km/h run doing some damage to the base. I've been to GS races in very cold fresh snow, where they were skating down a blue run, as the skis refused to glide (partly the wrong wax) but that stuff can be pretty mean to a base.

If I had a few training runs for the most important event of my career, I wouldn't want a ski that's slow from a previous run either - I'd like to have a consistent ski under my boots and to hit the jumps and features with the speed I'm accustomed to.

So... if they did not carry a base grinder with them, I can see them "chucking" the skis into the trailer to be ground and refreshed at home (which implies a lot of TLC before is on snow again). These guys don't trust the corner store to grind a speed ski! And... if the ski is ground like twice or more already, probably just chuck it out for good!

Now... if only someone knows where this trailer is parked... ;)

Last edited:
TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It was -4°F here today, -20°F with the wind chill. My kind of day, actually. Bright blue skies, low crowds (well the ski rack at the Summit House was PACKED, but they weren't in line or skiing much after noon).

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I also recall my kids' reps/techs giving them a hard time for being to hard on their edges after crossing the line. Grinding on the bases.

I asked Graham Lonetto about this story the other day and he said that yes, the skis can be totally destroyed, not just burned a little, and pointed out that it can be driver error, throwing them sideways once could be enough to do it. My daughter ruined a pair of skis slipping/inspecting at Burke last year on a very cold day. The base looked like it had cancer, all blistered and bubbled up off the ski. Done.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What a contrast from the last Olympics (sochi) to this one.

Sponsor