• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Maybe the 1st carving instructional video?

nSkier

Booting up
Skier
How do you define that as Flex to release? At the bottom the each turn she is eating her inside leg's kneecap. How can she flex out of that? Try 8:50

Its more apparent in the slo-mo if you follow the outside leg, it's definitely not clean though and I cant tell if its purposeful or adaptive. Interesting clip nonetheless.

You can pretty much flex out of anything, its not prohibitive for certain turns...sure looks weird though when you try to do it from that low.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Its more apparent in the slo-mo if you follow the outside leg, it's definitely not clean though and I cant tell if its purposeful or adaptive. Interesting clip nonetheless.

You can pretty much flex out of anything, its not prohibitive for certain turns...sure looks weird though when you try to do it from that low.

Now see I call those transitions ILE (inside leg extension). The outside ski is being released due to an extension of the inside leg combined with movement forward to align with the soon to be outside ski. In doing so, the inside ski actually picks up the finish of the turn. From there the skier initiates by rolling onto the new edge of the soon-to-be outside ski. Beginning @ 8:50 both legs clearly flex allowing for transfer under the COM and this is what I call a flex to release transition.

nSkier

Booting up
Skier
Check out this series:

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 5.07.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 5.08.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 5.08.17 PM.png

if you follow the outside leg, you see very deep flexion. I won't argue for a second that this is "pretty" or correctly timed, in fact I think this is what razie refers to as "getting squatty". @JESinstr I don't think we are disagreeing because in my technical model, indeed the result of flexing is a balance transfer to the inside (or uphill) ski which does finish the turn.

I fully agree with 8:50, thats a flex-to-release and a pretty nice one too!

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Check out this series:

View attachment 99759
View attachment 99761
View attachment 99760
if you follow the outside leg, you see very deep flexion. I won't argue for a second that this is "pretty" or correctly timed, in fact I think this is what razie refers to as "getting squatty". @JESinstr I don't think we are disagreeing because in my technical model, indeed the result of flexing is a balance transfer to the inside (or uphill) ski which does finish the turn.

I fully agree with 8:50, thats a flex-to-release and a pretty nice one too!

You are right. It appears that the skiers in that sequence of the video are employing various transitions to get to the carving state. Here is the Lady Skier with an ILE transition.

Lady1.jpg

Lady2.jpg

Lady3.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Do folk who were active in instructing - either as instructors or students - during the transition to carved skis remember when drills like rail road tracks became a thing?
We did railroad track turns when I began teaching in the 70s. At that time we considered it an advanced maneuver. We also did up-unweighting, down-unweighting, rebound, retraction, extension, carving, short swing, pivot slips, edge hop garlands, wedge edge locks, crab hops, step turns, javelins etc. RR Tracks came back into favor in the late 90s as the masses began transitioning from straight skis to shaped.
I remember skiing the first Elan SCX‘s in the mid 90s and immediately falling in love with them. Many old school leg locked skiers had an extremely difficult time adapting.

Here are a bunch of great short turns from 1988. I also posted this in the centerline thread.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Is that the K2 crew or the Mammoth ski school or some other bunch?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I'd like to see how that kid, in red, skis today. Must be an amazing skier.

BTW, what piece of music is that?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is that the K2 crew or the Mammoth ski school or some other bunch?
A mix of 3 or 4 D-teamers (Dave Ingram, Tim Petrick & maybe PJ Jones) & Mammoth SS instructors.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online