• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattress Analysis Paralysis

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been planning on buying a new mattress and going with one of the online mattress options. Now, suddenly I have a taker for my old bed including mattress who wants to pick it up this weekend. Bonus, I’ll be out of town so I don’t have to help! But it does mean that I need to make a decision.

I’ve researched and read reviews and comparisons in endless loops. I’m mostly interested in a mattress with good support but soft enough for my sister sleeping and one that’s sleeps cool. I’m leaning toward the Layla, Bear, Tuft & Needle Mint, Purple, or Casper but willing to consider others.

Anyhow, anyone have experience, good or bad, with any of the multitude of options?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have bought 3 generic memory foam mattresses from Dream Merchant in Denver. They are all great. The last one I bought has the gel cover for cooling. It is a great mattress and not outrageously priced.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have bought 3 generic memory foam mattresses from Dream Merchant in Denver. They are all great. The last one I bought has the gel cover for cooling. It is a great mattress and not outrageously priced.

Do they have free returns after a certain number of nights sleeping? That’s one of the features of the online companies I really like.

There are 44 queen mattresses in my price range on their website. Are you trying to confuse me more? :eek: Seriously though, any specific recs out of the options?

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I'm in the market too. Thinking about the Costco one made by Sterne and Foster.

Are you specifically going for memory foam? The Costco S&F one is not. I haven't liked moving on any memory foam that I've slept on (hmmm, so how many different mattresses have you slept on lately ? :huh: :eek: :nono:) so I've been leaning toward an innerspring one.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
https://www.charlesprogers.com/ They're not cheap, but I love my bed! Their Powercore mattress gets high reviews on Consumer Reports.

But they don’t have a good return policy and I’m simply not willing to spend that kind of cash without a chance to test it out.

I'm in the market too. Thinking about the Costco one made by Sterne and Foster.

Are you specifically going for memory foam? The Costco S&F one is not. I haven't liked moving on any memory foam that I've slept on (hmmm, so how many different mattresses have you slept on lately ? :huh: :eek: :nono:) so I've been leaning toward an innerspring one.

I generally like memory foam but have slept on some that are too hot which is why I’m focused on the cooling and some that are too firm which I’m using as a comparison. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to count the number of mattresses I’ve slept on in the last year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they have free returns after a certain number of nights sleeping? That’s one of the features of the online companies I really like.

There are 44 queen mattresses in my price range on their website. Are you trying to confuse me more? :eek: Seriously though, any specific recs out of the options?
We went memory foam. You don't like it, 100% returnable.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
But they don’t have a good return policy and I’m simply not willing to spend that kind of cash without a chance to test it out.

I generally like memory foam but have slept on some that are too hot which is why I’m focused on the cooling and some that are too firm which I’m using as a comparison. I’m pretty sure I don’t want to count the number of mattresses I’ve slept on in the last year.

They are hot no doubt.

My last mattress purchase was 2 years ago. Went to a MatressFirm. Lied down on a bunch of mattresses. Picked my favorite that was reasonably priced (looked at mattresses under $1200). Super comfy. Will look at the brand/model and price tomorrow.

Bottom line, its best to go and test the mattress yourself before buying.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All the online mattress companies offer a 100 night tryout period.... there's got to be 7 or 8 of them....you see where I'm going with this..:D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is the one we got at Costco for our guest bedroom. @Jasmine sleeps there quite often and seems to love it.
53921977553__E8ACBF5A-6F9E-4AF5-9F93-4C32F8F6249D.jpeg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tuft & Needle has worked well for me.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bottom line, its best to go and test the mattress yourself before buying.

I have to disagree with this. Laying down on a mattress for a few minutes where you may or may not have a pillow that works for you while a salesperson stares at you is not a good way to test a mattress. Sure, they have a 120 night home trial but if you read Mattress Firm's fine print the terms of that trial suck. You can exchange the mattress once. If you want to return it and go elsewhere there are hefty return fees.

Tuft & Needle has worked well for me.

The T&N at Susan's is what got me started thinking about these. That particular model is a little firm for me which is why I'm considering their new Mint which adds an additional layer and has a softer top layer.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
My last mattress purchase was a traditional inner spring with foundation from Denver Mattress. I like it a lot, with a soft 2" inch mattress pad. A friend just got one mailorder. It was a foam (not memory) one. She added the 2" softer foam pad the maker sells on top after a few nights without it. I'll ask her what brand when she returns from Santa Fe.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I know a couple of things.

1 Mattresses are one of the last great high margin scams there are out there. All that "you can't put a price on a good night's sleep" - that's why so many online offerings have been able to get in, but they are still making big margins to cover incessant advertising e.g. virtually impossible to listen to a podcast that isn't sponsored by Casper

2 You know it when you find a really great hotel mattress

3 A generic memory foam is almost as good as 2 and cheap enough to bin and replace if you don't like it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
They are hot no doubt.

Depends on the amount of design squish. It's not the foam that's hot - it's that you're sinking into it. The problem is that most people think memory foam has to form an imprint otherwise it's not memory foam - and mfgs cater to that misconception. Slow recovery foam does not have to be squishy, and every modern airline seat proves it.

The trick is to find a graduated density foam, somewhere on the spectrum airline seat <-----> foamtopper, that is only just soft enough, and where the soft section is only just deep enough.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I purchased a King set from Sears one year ago and no problems. It was just a bit higher price range but I think the Queen size was about the same as yours. A few years back I purchased a Queen set for the second bedroom. I went to a place called Bob's Discount Furniture and paid about $800 for the set, the mattress is good but the box spring broke down quick. They said the mattress was guaranteed for 10 years but the box spring only one year. I went to Costco and got a box spring very reasonable and that has held up very well. Maybe I should have gone to Costco first.

Sponsor