• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masters ski selection

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
I have a quick decision to make ahead of my first GS gates training session ( so far have only trained SL gates on 157 FIS SL skis). I have the following options, all barely used:
  • Croc (Augment) Masters 184 / 25m with Marker 16 for 260 euro
  • Fischer RC4 GS (2018/2019) u16 188 / 27m with z17 for 300 euro
  • Rossignol Hero GS u16 (2017/2018) 183 / 25m for 260 euro
  • Salomon X-Race Lab (2014) 183 / 26m with x12 for 129 euro
I'm tending to go with the Fischer, as I also own some Fischer FIS SL so bindings could be repurposed. Other than that a difficult decision. I am 1,70m 70kg 50yo and have been training SL two to three times a week plus weekly crossfit for several years so reasonably fit but still building race technique. I also intend to use these masters skis for on piste free skiing to complement my Head Kores. Looking forward to some advice from the forum. Thx!

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe @ScotsSkier will be able to give you a better advice, but I personally wouldn't recommend buying U16 skis. I'd either go with the adult 183-185cm, 23-26m masters skis, or with women's 188cm 30m real GS skis. In fact, when I had to replace my old 183cm 23m Atomic GS skis recently, I went for the 188cm 30m women's Dynastar GS skis. I have only skied them a couple of times so far, and even though they require some adjustment, they are amazing skis.

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Actually a Head GS RD (2016) 188 / 30m for 250 euro is also on the list. However some say 30m GS are no longer viable for free skiing

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
It all depends on what kind of free skiing you have in mind. 188/30 GS skis probably aren't suitable for crowded, or bumpy, or steep and very narrow slopes, but neither are 183/23 skis. I use my GS skis mostly for freeskiing, but on empty, groomed, wide, and reasonably (not overly) steep runs, and they are great.

As for junior skis, they are designed for lighter skiers and may not be suited for a relatively powerful adult skier. But again, I hope more experienced skiers and coaches will give you more detailed advice.

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Though as a 50yo I find that trained16yos are typically stronger than me. Certainly quicker through SL gates

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
As someone who is currently on 188/30, don't go for the 30m. In a masters race they will be a nightmare to keep in check. Even as someone at 30 years of age, I'm thinking of retiring the 30m skis because they take a lot of power and precision to fit in a masters set. On an open trail they are very smooth and fun, but anywhere else they are a handful.
My recommendation:
Considering age and crossfit fitness, go with the Croc/Augment 184/25. It will be something that is perfect for the typical masters set but also useable on the open trails too. The two times I skied the Croc 184/25 in gate, they were good experiences. The Fischer 27's would be next in line but take a bit more technical prowess to nail every turn.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Rossi masters 185/25 is nice for free skiing also. (Except the tip) It's a slightly wider ski, 70mm.

On your list, the Augment perhaps but depends on the flex rating.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Easy, the Croc/Augment. The Rossi Masters ski is a wider waist and less responsive ski (Personally I categorize it as a free ski, not a race ski).

I will disagree with @Snuckerpooks on the 188 FIS 30m ski, it makes a great Masters ski, certainly on USSA and FIS Masters sets if you adjust your technique and line to use iteffectively (and at 65y/o and 165# i have been successfully racing on it for 5 seasons now) However I would not necessarily recommend it for a first foray into GS gates, the 185/25 will work better at this stage

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the excellent feedback as always. I'll pick up the (Croc) Master 25m and tempted to also add a FIS 188, either (Head RD) 30m W or (Fischer) 27m u16. @ScotsSkier when progressing does it makes sense to have both sizes at hand or best to first build technique on the 25m?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Work on technique and line on the 185. Don’t confuse yourself by trying to jump back and forth between 2 skis, it will slow your progress not help it. Once you start to get a bit more attuned to the needs then think about trying the 30 m ski to understand if you can make the adjustments you need to maximize its benefits

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
A good as new pair of Augment GS Pro in 185 / 25m with spx 15 for 400 euro added to the list. This one has a flex 6 or medium-. Would that be an aggressive or regular choice given my stats?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
6 will work well for you. I have skied that model in a 6 and that is what I would have recommended based on your stats. A good deal at that. Jump on it

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
@ScotsSkier thx I figured this is the right ski for me. One more question: do r21 compatible bindings like Hero 120 and Axial3 also fit on r22 plates?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The R22 plate only takes the Rockerflex binding. The R21 plate came in a couple of different variations, one took the Rockerflex but could be made to take the older binding and one took the older binding

TS
maxwerks

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
That's good to know. And is the stiffness rating marked on these Croc and Augment skis, to be able to check sellers claims?

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Easy, the Croc/Augment. The Rossi Masters ski is a wider waist and less responsive ski (Personally I categorize it as a free ski, not a race ski).

I will disagree with @Snuckerpooks on the 188 FIS 30m ski, it makes a great Masters ski, certainly on USSA and FIS Masters sets if you adjust your technique and line to use iteffectively (and at 65y/o and 165# i have been successfully racing on it for 5 seasons now) However I would not necessarily recommend it for a first foray into GS gates, the 185/25 will work better at this stage

Great to hear some endorsement for the 30m 188cm... I’ve got a pair of the Head i.GS RD and my first (FIS Masters) race on them is Sunday. Have heard good arguments for a shorter radius in Masters, but wanted one pair that I could also use in Super-G.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's good to know. And is the stiffness rating marked on these Croc and Augment skis, to be able to check sellers claims?

Normally it is marked in sharpie on the forebode of one ski along with the factory number. Something like 6.12345 where the first number is the flex

Sponsor

Staff online