• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
I've got 16s (look spx16) on my slalom skis, which have been doing the trick so far. As this is the first pair of GS/pseudo speed skis that I've bought in a while, I wasn't sure if I should aim higher, or if it was a huge difference.

Sounds like whichever binding I can get a good price on.

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
My friend, you have yourself a deal!

Even with the shipping to Canada that's a steal in my books, based on what I'm seeing.

Let me know!

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
Haha,

This forum/site is gold, in so many ways. There is so much to learn, and so much knowledge here.

Thanks a ton guys, looking forward to everything showing up and getting it on snow.

I'll throw up some pictures of the sweetness when it all arrives.

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think I am a few days late to mention that I have a pair of new/old stock Atomic 187/26.5 GS skis that I could sell fairly cheap, and I am in Ottawa...

Anyway, if shipping those bindings to Canada is expensive, you can get them shipped to Ogdensburg NY and go pick them up. This works well if you are doing an overnight trip and can bring them back within your duty free allowance, otherwise you pay the HST at the border.

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
If my order for the skis falls through for whatever reason, I'd be interested.

For the price of shipping to Canada, I'm ok to pay the price for the convenience - but you're right, Ogdensburg is usually a great option.

What year are the atomics you are sitting on?

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@SlapChop, I want to get back to the OP for a moment. I’m not sure how much coaching experience you have, but get a pair of skis dedicated to coaching that you won’t cry over. I still like a 170-175 GS construction ski. Something you can make small GS turns on, that you can slip courses on without worry about base burn or scratches, something you can take off by stepping on the binding with the ski, something you can throw salt with, etc.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SlapChop, I want to get back to the OP for a moment. I’m not sure how much coaching experience you have, but get a pair of skis dedicated to coaching that you won’t cry over. I still like a 170-175 GS construction ski. Something you can make small GS turns on, that you can slip courses on without worry about base burn or scratches, something you can take off by stepping on the binding with the ski, something you can throw salt with, etc.

Yup! also NOT with Look bindings (they are a complete PITA when you don't have poles!!!)

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
Yup! also NOT with Look bindings (they are a complete PITA when you don't have poles!!!)

Good! It’s not just me! I’ve had to resort to hand closing them all season on my slaloms. I thought maybe just these bindings were old (second hand) and worn.

I’ve actually got an old pair of atomic super cross sx11s from 2003 that I plan to use for slipping, rock days and general coaching.

These gs skis are purely for racing and nice big open freeskiing days, and I have my Rossi f-13s for slalom and higher performance coaching days.

Though the atomics don’t have much edge left, so my next addition may be a cheap beater ski that serves the purpose BGreen mentioned.

I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’ll be swapping my boots around, as my technica r9.3s aren’t the best for hanging out at the start shack on race day, though I do have a pair of Solomon x-max 120s that will likely serve as my generic coaching boot.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If it is the SPX15 rocker flex you have on your slaloms there is a bit of an art to closing them. You need to stamp down hard with your weight on your heel rather than the normal step in for most bindings. One of my dislikes with that binding (apart from the fact that it just does not "feel" mechanically good). The 18 Rockerflex version by comparison has a very smooth operation and you can step like any other binding. It is of course >1 pound heavier per ski

James

Out There
Instructor
Is there an alternative to the px18 that works like it but goes down to 8 Din?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there an alternative to the px18 that works like it but goes down to 8 Din?

No. The design of the heel on the 15 and below models is significantly different from the 18. The 18 heel s effectively the same as the previous PX18 (and 15 MFX) just with eth Rockerflex mount points. The 15 SPX does have the "good" toe piece though, same as the 18

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
Stomp twice. You get in in two moves, not one. First stomp gets halfway, second stomp gets the rest of the way.

Ah cool, I'll give that a try. I've been reaching down and just pulling up slightly at the moment, which turned out to be a surprisingly easy way to close them. Opening them definitely requires a pole and effort.

I can't complain too much, as I got these bindings for $100, though I may replace them for next season, and I'll make sure to get the actual rossi 18s next next time.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve actually got an old pair of atomic super cross sx11s from 2003 that I plan to use for slipping, rock days and general coaching.

With Ess/Atomic bindings? If so they were recalled. The heels would break, open up and pitch the skier over the tip. Lucky for me it happened at slow speed.

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
With Ess/Atomic bindings? If so they were recalled. The heels would break, open up and pitch the skier over the tip. Lucky for me it happened at slow speed.

Haha, yes they are... man, I keep learning great things here. Perhaps I'll step up my beater ski search after all considering I don't believe I've ever had them serviced with the recall in mind.

TS
SlapChop

SlapChop

Putting on skis
Skier
They've arrived! Now I'm just waiting on the bindings from ScotsSkier to show up and I'm in business.

Attachments

• IMG_4128.JPG
    IMG_4128.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 83

Sponsor

Staff online