• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masters (~25m) vs FIS W (30m)

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
OK, so ruled out the <20m cheater beer-league skis. On the steeper pitches they just pulled across the hill and with fore-aft technique that feeling was WAY overdone to my liking...just too common of a shape that I'm looking for.

My question(s) to those familiar with each...
  • Is there a tremendous difference between <20's to say 25m? Same from 25-30m?
  • Are 30m race skis such a handicap that only those restricted should be on them? Flex tells me otherwise...

The reasons I ask...
  • At this time of year it seems easier to find FIS's than Master's, at least where I have been looking.
  • Just by hand-flexing a Head 188W30 (fis) vs atomic g9 rs 183 24m (masters) the head felt much softer and even flexing throughout. Have manufacturer's designed the larger radius skis this way to make up for the restrictions?? It was that obvious, just by hand.

There weren't any 183 30's at the particular location but would like any opinions if that would be a reasonable option for a 5' 10" 195lb aspiring (willing to work and practice for next year!) recreational racer. Unfortunately I can't find demos for true race skis, but they can certainly be had for shortish money online for either 183 or 188 Womens FIS's. If all failed, jumping onto Masters skis the year after could happen as well. Thank you!