• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Masterblaster or Mindbender 99ti?

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apologies for the cross-posting. I’ve done a lot of research and read many reviews. But I could use some advice from people who have skied both. I have relied primarily on this excellent forum for information too!

After demoing several skis I think I am down to these two as a choice for a one-ski quiver. I have yet to try the Masterblaster but I loved the Mindbender in everything but the moguls.

About me: I’m 5’8” and 155lbs. I’m an intermediate to advanced skier who likes to ski on piste. My favorite is to ski fast down the groomers. I want a ski for long GS turns but also something that is playful for quick, short turns too. Stability at speed is important to me.

I mostly ski Tahoe so that often means soft groomers, afternoon crud, and sometime very hard snow/ice. This year I’m going to Vail for the first time so it would be nice for something to handle some fresh snow too.

The Mindbenders were the most fun ski I’ve ridden in the last 3 years and seemed to take everything that the mountain and I threw at them. I would be happy to wait for the end of season/post-President’s day sales but I have a line on some very well priced Masterblasters.

I skiied the Mindbender in 170. The Masterblaster comes in 168. If that makes any difference.

Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The K2 is a better on piste ski than the J and since that is where you do the majority of yoru skiing, that is to be considered. I find the J is better off piste in softer snow but it did get bounced around when the snow got cut up and choppy, conditions that we definitely get here in Tahoe. Don't base your decision on one trip to Vail, you don't know if you will get fresh there there. Buy a ski for the conditions you actually ski verses conditions you hope to ski.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Unless you are freestyle biased which is doesn’t sound like you are, I’d say the Mindbender or an Enforcer 94 in 172cm would be a better bet. The Enforcer 94 will be nice and stable in crud but a bit more playful especially in bumps where it’s tail is more forgiving than the Mindbender 99Ti.

Because the Masterblaster is a twin, you’d size up to the 175cm but still think a shorter Enforcer 94 would outperform it for your needs.
Enforcer 93(169 cm) will be available at great deals I’m sure as it’s being replaced by the 94 but I have seen “intro pricing” on the 94 and you could get a deal on this years/last years bindings now to pair with them. I think the upgrade to the 94 will be worth the price difference.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just to take the other side, you mentioned the Mindbender being work in bumps and I agree with that. I think you could prefer the Masterblaster just because it's more maneuverable.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really appreciate the comments. Let me try and respond!

@Philpug I think you are right that I need to buy for the conditions I usually ski. I worry a little bit about the Masterblaster on Tahoe’s crud and ice.

@GregK of all the skis on my list to demo, I’ve yet to try either the Enforcer 93 or 100, and the new and improved Enforcers sound great.

@AngryAnalyst that is exactly what Andrew at J Skis said about the difference between the skis. I have to say I would love to have a ski that is more maneuverable for the trees and moguls. With the right ski I would spend more time in the moguls especially.

In the end, my family budget won out when I got an email from J Skis advertising new but blemished skis with Marker Griffon 13 ID bindings for $499. I snagged a pair of the Masterblaster “Survivor” series. I was planning on picking up some demo Mindbenders after President’s Day but this deal seemed too good to pass up. And they still have the 3-day money-back guarantee if I don’t like them!

I grew up in Seattle and feel a loyalty to K2. They were the ski to have when I was a kid. But I really do like the idea of supporting a small, made in the USA company.

I will certainly report back here after I get the bindings mounted and make my way to Tahoe... hopefully in early February. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I grew up in Seattle and feel a loyalty to K2. They were the ski to have when I was a kid. But I really do like the idea of supporting a small, made in the USA company.
J's are not made in the USA, but Canada...I guess that is pretty close ;) . Not a bad choice with the J-Skis though. Enjoy.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug you got me there on Canada! LOL

With two young kids, the pocketbook won out here. But I suspect I won’t regret this choice.

Thanks so much for this site. I’ve been reading like a madman between here and Blister. It is a great resource.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very interested in Masterblaster. C/C with Enforcer 93?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Very interested in Masterblaster. C/C with Enforcer 93?

Master Blaster has similar flex to the Enforcer 93, a similar shape and similar weight. The difference is the tail on the MB that is softer in flex, is a twin tip, has a slightly more forward mount and more tail rocker. So more similar to a narrow Enforcer 104 Free than the Enforcer 93 in feel. So, a playful ski that can still charge when you want.

The Enforcer 93 with it’s stiffer and flatter tail is a more serious/less playful ski that offers better hard snow grip and carving power than the MB. The other big difference is sizing as the 181cm MB weighs about the same as the 185cm E93 weighs and the 187cm MB is a bit of a heavy tank. The 187cm hauls in open spaces at speed but isn’t as fun at lower speeds compared to the 181cm version or a 185cm E93. So unless you’re a heavier charger on the 1you may be in between sizes on the MB.

The new Enforcer 94 should be a big upgrade in making the E93 more playful while still letting it rip harder snow. The reduced tip/tail swing weight and slight overall weight will make it feel like it has more tip/tail rocker even if that’s not the case. Should feel lighter on it’s feet yet more damp. The Enforcer 94 should make it a great “bell to bell” daily driver.

The only issue with the Enforcer 94 is skiing switch in the terrain park. Lol